• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake-VT

I'll respond to you and not plama. It looks like a wall of text now that I look back but 1500 words in 10 paragraphs isn't that crazy. I didn't wanna break up paragraphs without easy transition sentences generally. Anyway I can work on it. I view writing for BSD as great practice about something I'm passionate about, nothing more or less.

ETA: 10 paragraphs and 1500 words is pretty standard tbh

I'm just fucking with you. I enjoy reading your stuff.

On a phone, it's a wall of text. It looks better on a computer.

I'll respond to you and not plama. It looks like a wall of text now that I look back but 1500 words in 10 paragraphs isn't that crazy. I didn't wanna break up paragraphs without easy transition sentences generally. Anyway I can work on it. I view writing for BSD as great practice about something I'm passionate about, nothing more or less.

ETA: 10 paragraphs and 1500 words is pretty standard tbh

3-4 sentences per paragraph is easier to read

Teams always successfully employ fouling us when up 3 and under 10 seconds left. We always screw it up when doing it.

3-4 sentences per paragraph is easier to read

I would be interested to see some site analytics about how many readers come from the phone vs desktop. It would make a readability difference.

Townie, I really enjoyed your blog. Thought it was spot on. It even mentioned the terrible charge call on Codi that took away two and possibly three points at a critical time. One of the worse calls I've seen in almost fifty years of watching Wake basketball. Does anyone know who made that call?

I would be interested to see some site analytics about how many readers come from the phone vs desktop. It would make a readability difference.

Coming right up.

ETA, Over the past 3 months:
Desktop 45%
Mobile 42%
Tablet 13%

Last edited:
Townie, I really enjoyed your blog. Thought it was spot on. It even mentioned the terrible charge call on Codi that took away two and possibly three points at a critical time. One of the worse calls I've seen in almost fifty years of watching Wake basketball. Does anyone know who made that call?

That call kept VT in the game. At the time of that call, WF was up 60-56 with 5 minutes left. If the reff recognized the block, CMM's basket would've counted, and he would have been on the line to put WF up 7. Instead, VT hit a 3, cutting the lead to one, and the game was a sweat the rest of the way. Both Brando and Capel agreed that the charge call was awful. 6 point swing on one bad call.

Last edited:
Coming right up.

ETA, Over the past 3 months:
Desktop 45%
Mobile 42%
Tablet 13%

Thanks boss. I think the layout does no favors to readability. Its not the most mobile optimized design and the ads are pretty huge but it is what it is. These kenpoms do bear out shorter paragraphs.

That call kept VT in the game. At the time of that call, WF was 60-56 with 5 minutes left. If the reff recognized the block, CMM's basket would've counted, and he would have been on the line to put WF up 7. Instead, VT hit a 3, cutting the lead to one, and the game was a sweat the rest of the way. Both Brando and Capel agreed that the charge call was awful. 6 point swing on one bad call.

Completely agree. Atrocious call. That play nearly sealed the deal and instead gave VT new life.

Great job, Townie. The charge call on CMM was about as bad as I've ever seen. Everywhere else, if it is close, tie goes to the offense. That was not close.... remotely.... In real time or slo-mo. I could not believe when I saw VT bringing the ball up court after that. I think even the announcers were in disbelief and waiting to hear or see confirmation of the call.

My fear is that it is a lot easier to win a tight game at the end against a team that struggles then, too. Yes, we are better than VT at crunch time is all it proved. Can we be better than others, yes. Just gotta figure it out.

CMM can't be so myopic against the big boys at crunch time. Everyone has known we are putting the ball in his hands, even in the half court set at the end. Further, that he will not jumpshoot, but wants to drive. Ergo, they slough off him, help D him, and attack his dribble when his penetration is cut off. And usually he has gone too deep and gotten in trouble, and hasn't had his head up seeing the court to be able to see the help and open teammates. I think he played with his head up much better today. Clearly DM has taught DT a helluva lot about post play, and how to recognize the D and how to deal with it. Again, his head was up and seeing the court. Reminds me of TimmyD with the Spurs in his prime: if you doubled him, he held it strong, and found the open guy. If you didn't, he made you pay on the blocks. DT could still learn more about post position and creating open passing lanes to him, but a fair amount of that is having teammates the D knows it can't leave open for J's. VT clearly elected not to have DT drop 25 on them and get their post players in foul trouble early. I think that will be what we see every game from here on out as DT has become a rock, and we are streaky at best from outside. Id be damn scared to play us in the ACCT. And VT for that matter. DM and VTBuzz have coached extremely well this year. DM has done about the best job anyone could have imagined. He is the real deal. We really could have packed it in long ago, but the effort and the BB IQ and execution has improved dramatically. Not to mention the recruiting.... LOVE IT!!

VT is not that bad of a team. With their star freshman back and a good coach, all they are lacking is a solid big and they are easily in top half of ACC IMO. They recently played UVa to a 3 pt loss and beat Pitt without Bibbs.

Last edited:
My son and I were at the Joel yesterday for our first game of the Manning era. Was that the biggest crowd of the year? It seemed like it from the games I've watched on TV or online.

My son and I were at the Joel yesterday for our first game of the Manning era. Was that the biggest crowd of the year? It seemed like it from the games I've watched on TV or online.

Certainly up there. I was surprised considering we were coming off four consecutive losses and it was against VT. It was great to see that many fans show up and support a team who is getting the most out of what they have.

CMM had a great game . The MTOW story by Dan Collins hit the nail on the head. Good guard play at cruch time wins games. Look at UNC- Louisville and Duke - UVA from yesterday as other examples.

That call kept VT in the game. At the time of that call, WF was up 60-56 with 5 minutes left. If the reff recognized the block, CMM's basket would've counted, and he would have been on the line to put WF up 7. Instead, VT hit a 3, cutting the lead to one, and the game was a sweat the rest of the way. Both Brando and Capel agreed that the charge call was awful. 6 point swing on one bad call.

Unless you think somehow the boost in emotion would've led to Wake getting a stop on Tech's next possession, it was just a 3 point swing (maybe 2). Tech was either going to get the ball down 4 (what happened), down 6 or down 7 if Codi added the free throw. Regardless, it was a horrible call and the refs were bad all day.

More importantly, did Wake LEARN HOW TO WIN today???
Or does Wake still not know how to win, thus winning by complete accident?
And when Wake loses next, will that signify that they've FORGOTTEN how to win?

Obvious sarcasm noted, but we'll see. Yesterday's win was a little bit accidental- still missed some FT but got bailed out on the rebound, clinching FT taken but MJ which isn't great execution (but major props to him for making them) and gave them several wide open looks from 3 in the last 30 seconds. On the other hand, doesn't hurt the psyche to know you can win and we didn't lose on TOs and forcing shots this time.

I bought the three cheapest tickets I could off StubHub, thinking we could walk in and sit wherever we pleased. Pleasantly surprised to discover that wasn't the case.

Looked like the lower bowl was pretty full and it got loud at times on tv.

Extremely fortunate to escape with a narrow win at home over a poor VT team. Thought for sure we were gonna fold again...our FT shooting is bloody awful. Thankful for MJ coming through at the end though...

GO DEACS!...

We had less TOs, less fouls and more assists, boards and blocks yet it came down to the last play???...WTF?

Can't shoot.

Back