• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Will Always be in the ACC

Ron Wellman said:
“It was surprising because in the fall the presidents had made certain commitments to one another about communication. That did not occur. So it was surprising and it was disappointing, but fortunately we have landed on our feet.

This backs up many of the rumors that have been flying.

In particular, I'm talking about Maryland's president in that quote. Natty O left him 17 messages on the eve of their exit and not one was returned. Outrage and consternation resulted.

If Wellman thinks he's somehow lining himself up or Swofford's job, I don't see how. When someone is being considered for a new job, their recent job performance is the primary consideration. Right now the Wellman "brand" is damaged goods.

Wellman and Hatch shouldnt bust on Maryland too hard, they have left the whole Wake fan bases' calls unreturned. They have allowed Wake to exit the conference in spirit. Since really our coaches and AD aren't actively participating in the conference anymore. The wake fan and deacon club member is a third class citizen.

Maybe in body, but, if the past couple of years are any indication, not in spirit.

It's rich that Wellman says "Wake will always be in the ACC". Yeah, if it's up to Wake. The Big Ten isn't coming to lure us away. Thing is, if Wake continues to be a glaring drag on the conference then the extreme circumstances of conference realignment might interpose themselves. As we've seen over and over again in the current environment money trumps loyalty every single time.

If Wellman thinks he's somehow lining himself up or Swofford's job, I don't see how. When someone is being considered for a new job, their recent job performance is the primary consideration. Right now the Wellman "brand" is damaged goods.

His role in conference expansion, getting facilities built at Wake and with national athletic committees would pull a lot more weight in getting the ACC commissioner's job than one poor basketball hire.

Thing is, if Wake continues to be a glaring drag on the conference then the extreme circumstances of conference realignment might interpose themselves.

All conferences need the proverbial basement dweller. Somebody has got to fill the bottom spot. Wake seems to have no problem playing this role, and the administration seems to have the fan base trained to accept this as a reality.

All conferences need the proverbial basement dweller. Somebody has got to fill the bottom spot. Wake seems to have no problem playing this role, and the administration seems to have the fan base trained to accept this as a reality.

Really? looks like the fanbase to me is up in arms and doing other things than attending Wake sporting events.

It's rich that Wellman says "Wake will always be in the ACC". Yeah, if it's up to Wake. The Big Ten isn't coming to lure us away. Thing is, if Wake continues to be a glaring drag on the conference then the extreme circumstances of conference realignment might interpose themselves. As we've seen over and over again in the current environment money trumps loyalty every single time.[/QUOTE]

People like to throw that around a lot. But it simply isn't true. UNC, UVa and VT, at the very least have passed up opportunities to go to better paying conferences in the last few years.

It was the first time that the ACC — which since 2004 has added and announced plans to add seven schools from the Big East — has lost a member to another conference.

South Carolina says hi !

In a move to tamp down such speculation, the 15 presidents of ACC schools — including Syracuse, Pitt, Notre Dame and Louisville — released a statement on Dec, 6 expressing their commitment to preserve and protect the conference.

Wellman said he takes the presidents at their word.

“When I think about the discomfort of the process, and the lack of transparency with the process, I go back to what all the presidents of the ACC institutions have said, what all the athletic directors of the ACC institutions have stated,’’ Wellman said. “And that is we are totally committed to the ACC, and that we intend to be in the ACC for a long, long time.

“I take great comfort in that.’’

yeah....right....and I believed the guy who stated " I didn't have sex with that girl " too !

Back