• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake's helmets

Our all whites with the black helmet are sharp. Someone posted a pic of our guys at BC and it was bad ass. The gold detail makes that jersey.

I dig the gold on black, but we need to keep it special. We overdid the Golds when we first got them. I fully expect to see them for Notre Dame, but part of me hopes we go all black instead.

Wake has one of the best uniforms in college football. Attention grabbing without being clownlike, classy looking without the staidness of a Penn State.

The big WF helps easily identify, which is important for a team that doesn't get on national TV every week.

Change nothing.

Spot on.

I don't like the gold jerseys at all and I'm not a fan of the white on gold we wore today. Hopefully we go all black or black on gold for Notre Dame.

I don't like radical uniform changes for "big" games. I prefer the classic look. We need to use those opportunities to establish our brand (look) for a national audience.

I would love to see gold helmets some game.

Gold helmets, black jersey's, gold pants.

Love the unis but I wouldn't mind seeing a pro combat version in the years to come on a big night game. I also think a cool gold or white helmet could be introduced once in a blue moon.

I agree a pro combat would be sweet for a one off uni.

What would y'all want to see a pro combat uni look like?

i think the white on white looks high school. or really old. and then the white on black is also high school-ish.

Our current uniforms are perfect and do not need any changes, which means we should expect to see a compete overhaul within 18 months.

my favorite is black jerseys / gold pants. so classic.

i agree that ours are the best in football. the helmets to me are the only slightly less than perfect stylistic element. but, i understand that folks disagree.

glad to hear everyone's thoughts though -- i love how passionate we are. gold and black are the coolest colors in college football... which is why it pisses me off when other schools (like Duke today) try to just decide that black is one of their school colors.

my favorite is black jerseys / gold pants. so classic.

i agree that ours are the best in football. the helmets to me are the only slightly less than perfect stylistic element. but, i understand that folks disagree.

glad to hear everyone's thoughts though -- i love how passionate we are. gold and black are the coolest colors in college football... which is why it pisses me off when other schools (like Duke today) try to just decide that black is one of their school colors.

Look at previous incarnations of our helmets. These are so much better than years past. That being said, I am currently collecting old replicas on an annual basis.

Wake has one of the best uniforms in college football. Attention grabbing without being clownlike, classy looking without the staidness of a Penn State.

The big WF helps easily identify, which is important for a team that doesn't get on national TV every week.

Change nothing.

Well said. I like our unis.

What would y'all want to see a pro combat uni look like?

Matted black lids w/ a dook hoops like graphic of Wait on the back. Some devil horns somewhere, but subtle and maybe mixed with the Deacon's hat.

One of the best early moves Grobe made was to change the helmets to the simple gold WF that we have now. Classic.

what did the old helmet look like? Anyone have a picture?

Nice site. I think most of the best ones are the current ones.

I do like the 80sish NC State helmet better than their current though.

Enjoying checking out the others ones too...what was with the Appalachian teams putting their state on their helmet in the 70s or so -- WVU, Marshall, Virginia Tech and Ohio all had it.

Last edited:
I like the white on gold away unis - probably my fav away unis.

don't like white on black away - reminds me of the Caldwell era.

But generally agree that we have perfect unis. I like that so many schools try to add a black jersey b/c they think it looks cool--we actually have it as one of our colors.

not a huge fan of the gold shirts.

Agree with most that white on gold is the worst combo. Black on black is the best IMO. I have a feeling we'll be breaking out something unique for the ND game.

Agree with most that white on gold is the worst combo. Black on black is the best IMO. I have a feeling we'll be breaking out something unique for the ND game.

Black on black still looks like pajamas to me.

Black on gold is the est there is.

Back