• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake's National Champions...Question

Well if you're only gonna have one title in anything I guess winning it in men's basketball is good (State)

Wolfpack.jpg

If you are going to count individual titles, we have had them in Track and Golf as well.

Wake also has national championships in debate (1997 and 2008). Not sports but since fishing made it into the discussion...

Maryland has a couple men's lacrosse titles from the '70s. Their last and only ones, amazingly.

I'm thinking Hallberg, Strange and maybe Hoch for national golf titles. I think also Palmer won some sort of national individual title. For track, didn't we have a shot putter a few years back? Did Nolan Swanson win the steeple chase?

I'm thinking Hallberg, Strange and maybe Hoch for national golf titles. I think also Palmer won some sort of national individual title. For track, didn't we have a shot putter a few years back? Did Nolan Swanson win the steeple chase?

Palmer won the US Am, but not a NCAA IIRC.

Well if you're only gonna have one title in anything I guess winning it in men's basketball is good (State)

State has an individual golf champion in the last few years (Matt Hill) as well as 5 individual swimming/diving championships (Cullen Jones was an olympic gold medallist), 5 individual wrestling national championships, and 2 Cross-Country national championships. I'm sure the list Plich posted is much longer for each school when you look at stuff like individual track/field, swimming/diving, cross-country, etc.

Those bass-fishing outfits are ridiculous but I don't think it's uncommon for fishers to pose like that with the fish they have caught, pretty standard actually iirc.

Correct; it was awesome!!! I remember road-tripping up to that game; hung over as balls. Had to stop a couple of times in order to puke, but it was totally worth it.

I froze my ass off at that game. The OSU goalie was so pissed off. charged the ref. pleading his case, denied

I remember the one over in Tanglewood when we were behind by a lot of strokes going into the final round.

That would be Bermuda Run in 1986. Came from 16 down on the final day to overcome Verplank & Ok State. We were not even in the final groupings. Was a lot of fun watching Kite, Andrade, Mattice & Co racking up the birdies and circling back around to watch the OK St boys choke like dogs on the back nine

I froze my ass off at that game. The OSU goalie was so pissed off. charged the ref. pleading his case, denied

It was an awesome game. And at the guys' house after the game, there was an epic party. It ended with DF2009 falling on and flipping the beer pong table. Then we scootered home on University, only for DF2009 to have an epic crash in front of Crown Oaks and bloody up his face. One of my favorite memories from college.

Andy Bloom - discus and shot put.

Don't forget Michael Bingham in the 400m. He ran the fastest time in the world at NCAA indoor championships in 2009.

Yeah, it was cold. I'd like to think we (the crowd) got into the goalies head by taunting him for being short and fat.

Back