• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wakeyleaks Revenge: Bateman and Galloway

Wakeforest22890

Snowpom
Reaction score
I'm sure most here are aware (and it's been discussed) but this is a double revenge game for Clawson and the Deacs regarding Wakeyleaks. UNC hired both Lonnie Galloway and Jay Bateman who were involved in Wakeyleaks - Galloway at Louisville and Bateman at Army. Clawson is 2-0 in Wakeyleaks matchup games, beating Louisville by 10 and 21 while Galloway was still there (shoutout to
Conor for this stat).

Clawson may not talk about it but guaranteed he's fired up and has a little extra motivation for this one.

I'm sure most here are aware (and it's been discussed) but this is a double revenge game for Clawson and the Deacs regarding Wakeyleaks. UNC hired both Lonnie Galloway and Jay Bateman who were involved in Wakeyleaks - Galloway at Louisville and Bateman at Army. Clawson is 2-0 in Wakeyleaks matchup games, beating Louisville by 10 and 21 while Galloway was still there (shoutout to
Conor for this stat).

Clawson may not talk about it but guaranteed he's fired up and has a little extra motivation for this one.
All the more reason to say fuck Mack and the Tarholes.
There is no way in hell those two hires were just random coincidence. Sure, it's still possible that they were... but it would turn credulity into Stretch Armstrong.

Numbers is right; I fully expect Clawson has had this game circled for months now... the Deacs have the "Wood" ready for these classless S.O.B.s

Also, they grabbed a guy who was an analyst for Wake last season.

ETA:

It is Scott Boone, outside linebackers and special teams coach who was a defensive analyst for Wake last season.

This opponent will have more insight into the thinking of the Wake coaching staff than any team Wake has faced in quite a while. Scott Boone probably worked closely with Hemphill and the rest of Wake's defensive coaches as they retooled the defense last season. Galloway coached at Wake, and as the recipient of info from Benedict Arnold, knew some plays and signals. Similarly, Bateman also got plays and signals a few years back.

I am sure the Wake staff is well aware of the foregoing, and has taken steps to mitigate the potential damage, but it has to be a little more difficult to prep for a team that has a guy who had a whole season to learn your playbooks on both defense (mostly) and offense.

I regard Scott Boone being on the staff in u*NC-Chapel Hill as the most important of the three coaches who have knowledge of Wake's playbooks. His knowledge is most complete and most recent. He knew all of last season's defensive playbook (probably wrote and designed a bunch of it). I am sure he also provided input to offense as to what defense might most effectively stop various plays, as well as what plays in Wake's offenseive playbook would work best against particular defensive sets.

Not good to have someone who knows your stuff intimately working on the opposite sideline.

Last edited:
What percentage of the playbook do we think we have shown in our first two games? 40%? Our guys will be fired up and hope its scorched earth for 4 quarters

Also, they grabbed a guy who was an analyst for Wake last season.

ETA: It is Scott Boone, outside linebackers and special teams coach who was a defensive analyst for Wake last season.

The hiring of Boone is probably the strongest evidence of some sort of plan by Brown to gain intel. Bateman was a highly sough-after coordinator and seems like he is destined for bigger things (and was a coach at Elon). Galloway has a solid resume and tons of ties to the State of NC (coached at App State, Wake, Elon, and ECU). In comparison, Scott Boone probably has the weakest resume of our staff and no clear connection with Mack Brown.

I've been surprised at how little coverage the Bateman/Galloway situation has received.

Bateman has had pretty good defenses at Army, but the stink of being an outed cheater has completely gone away. It was no shock that he went to coach at that cesspool. Galloway has never done anything impressive. Just hopped from one WR coaching gig to the next with mediocre results and a $25,000 fine for cheating. Looks like he found his forever home.

THIS is what will get the team fired up given that the fan rivalry doesn't mean as much to the kids on the team who haven't ever really known Wake to play UNC.

Clawson is a strong believer in NOT providing bulletin board material for an opponent. Also, I would guess that the team will get the information on the two Coordinators and Boone from our coaching staff at position meetings this week as it relates to masking our playcalling - changing some formations a little so as not to sell plays before they are run. Within that, there is opportunity to let the team know that there is a little bit of a revenge factor, and it doesn't need to be mentioned to keep that off social media, etc.. this week. Keep your trap shut.

All the more reason to say fuck Mack and the Tarholes.
There is no way in hell those two hires were just random coincidence. Sure, it's still possible that they were... but it would turn credulity into Stretch Armstrong.

Numbers is right; I fully expect Clawson has had this game circled for months now... the Deacs have the "Wood" ready for these classless S.O.B.s

I'm sure UNC makes coaching decisions based on their desire to screw with Wake.

I've been surprised at how little coverage the Bateman/Galloway situation has received.

Bateman has had pretty good defenses at Army, but the stink of being an outed cheater has completely gone away. It was no shock that he went to coach at that cesspool. Galloway has never done anything impressive. Just hopped from one WR coaching gig to the next with mediocre results and a $25,000 fine for cheating. Looks like he found his forever home.

With all the cheating and scandals that have gone on at UNC, how does the UNC AD even allow Mac Brown to hire these two unethical cheaters? You would think the AD and University would request other options?? Only is sports, does this crap continue to happen.

too bad our student section is not into sports...this would be the time for some inventive chants and cheers.

Back