• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wal-Mart Opts Out of Safety Agreement in Bangladesh

If you don't want to work at Walmart go to a good college and get a good job.

Actually, Walmart pays much less than you believe. 75% of their staff is part time, the average yearly salary or a Walmart employe ranges from 10-14k for part time, and 15-25k for full time.

So, more than 75% of America's largest employee is making less than 15k

Walmart pays it's employed in Bangladesh better(by statistical and living standard)

But the pay in Bangladesh is for FT+ not part time.

Your premise doesn't hold water.

rj, why do you suppose those people in bangladesh choose to work for walmart?

That's not relevant. Getting swseat shop wages over none doesn't justify a hugely profitable multi-national company paying employees sub-sweatshop wages to work in death traps.

Just because yolu cna get away with screwing someone doesn't mean you should.

That's not relevant. Getting swseat shop wages over none doesn't justify a hugely profitable multi-national company paying employees sub-sweatshop wages to work in death traps.

Just because yolu cna get away with screwing someone doesn't mean you should.

We can all agree that sweatshops are bad.

But, saying Walmart pays it's America employees any better is laughable.
Sweatshop workers are making 60% of the average income for the country.
American workers are making about 40%.

Smidge...reread...the $864 is wrong. According to the CIA, IMF and another site, they are paying 25-29% of per capita income in Bangladesh.

i'm not checking any of this, but here's a link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Economy_of_Bangladesh
that shows that mean wages for bangladesh is $0.58/hr. If Walmart pays $43/month, that's about half of the mean. I think it's quite reasonable to think that Walmart and other similar manual labor businesses are going to pay around the 25th percentile of hourly wages. I don't understand the outrage.

in the US the median (yes, not the mean, i don't care) income is around $30k. That's $15/hour. Walmart pays less than half of that to their minimum wage employees. TIME TO SHUT THEM DOWN.

Smidge...reread...the $864 is wrong. According to the CIA, IMF and another site, they are paying 25-29% of per capita income in Bangladesh.

Sounds about the same as the pay for Americans.

We can all agree that sweatshops are bad.

But, saying Walmart pays it's America employees any better is laughable.
Sweatshop workers are making 60% of the average income for the country.
American workers are making about 40%.

So were the Nazis and Stalin or slavery or African dictators or the Spainish Inquisition.

As long as my shampoo costs seven cents less, fuck it.

Stick a little oil under Banghladesh, and then we would be invading them and using this as the moral grounds to do it.

Last edited:
i wouldnt even know where a walmart was if i had any desire to brave it.

If US businesses and consumers didn't want sweatshops, there wouldn't be any.

If US consumers decided we didn't want sweatshops all the people working in them would be out of jobs.

If US consumers decided we didn't want sweatshops all the people working in them would be out of jobs.

So if people in MS or GA wanted slavery that would be OK with you?

how about indentured servitude?

If American consumers would benefit, it would be OK with your logic.

It seems that this is an issue for the government of Bangladesh. I don't shop at Wal-Mart but to expect middle and lower America to stop shopping there because of the conditions in a country 99% of the country can't locate on a map is laughable.

Back