• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

War on Christmas Fox Style

"The family of an African-American high school student in New Mexico says he's crushed after a teacher questioned why he was wearing Santa garb during a school holiday dress-up day last week, CNN affiliate KOAT reported.

The teacher told Christopher Rougier, a freshman at Cleveland High School, that he couldn't be Santa because Santa is white, the student's father, Michael, told KOAT."

The Megyn Kelly war on Christmas is growing.

BTW, Kelly said it was meant to be funny, and the reaction to the piece shows how much everyone else is obsessed with race.

KELLY: Outraged? Well, this would be funny if it were not so telling about our society. In the particular the knee jerk instinct by so many to race bait and to assume the worst in people, especially people employed by the very powerful FOX News Channel. Contrary to what my critics said posited neither my statement nor Harris's, I'm sure was motivated by any racial fear or loathing. In fact it was something far less sinister. A lifetime of exposure to the very same, quote, commercials, mall casting calls and movies Harris references in her piece from "Miracle on 34th Street" to the Thanksgiving Day Parade to the national Christmas tree lighting, we continually see St. Nick as a white man in modern day America. Should that change?

Well, that debate got lost. Because so many couldn't get pass the fact that I acknowledged as Harris did that the most commonly depicted image of Santa does in fact have white skin. By the way, I also did say Jesus was white as I've learned in the past two days, that is far from settled. For me, the fact that an offhand jest I made during a segment about whether Santa should be replaced by a penguin has now become a national firestorm says two things. Race is still an incredibly volatile issue in this country and FOX News and yours truly are big targets for many people. But don't take my word for it. Our panel debates right after this break.

Link

You mean that the real St. Nicholas is white?

Yep. Looks like it. He lived in Asia Minor, and so he was most likely Caucasian. But he also certainly did not look anything like he is commercially portrayed today in the US and probably never saw a raindeer as long as he lived. Nope, not even Rudolf.

Yep. Looks like it. He lived in Asia Minor, and so he was most likely Caucasian. But he also certainly did not look anything like he is commercially portrayed today in the US and probably never saw a raindeer as long as he lived. Nope, not even Rudolf.

saint-nicholas.jpeg

This is what some scientists recreated for St. Nicholas using his skull (Yeah, Science!). Racially ambiguous, maybe? Saneff, can I get a ruling here?

BTW, Kelly said it was meant to be funny, and the reaction to the piece shows how much everyone else is obsessed with race.

Link

Megyn, you weren't kidding or making a point about society's view of race. You lost that claim when you said the "most commonly depicted image of Santa" was a "verifiable fact."

Caucasian is a very loose term. The Caucasians of Turkey aren't what most white-bred Americans think of when you say the word. As Bojangle said, he wasn't Caucasian in the current sense of the word.

Still interested in what RevDeac's answer is.

the image of santa is obviously a combination of a sources. St. Nick is just part of the amalgamation once the catholics realized they needed to co-opt pagan shit to keep the christ train rollin'

the image of santa is obviously a combination of a sources. St. Nick is just part of the amalgamation once the catholics realized they needed to co-opt pagan shit to keep the christ train rollin'

Tax-free, biatches.

Caucasian is a very loose term. The Caucasians of Turkey aren't what most white-bred Americans think of when you say the word. As Bojangle said, he wasn't Caucasian in the current sense of the word.

Still interested in what RevDeac's answer is.

The vast majority of the peoples living around the Mediterranean have for hundreds of years been described and understood to be Caucasians. So, I don't see much problem with using this word. As to what most "white-bred Americans" (whoever they might be) think, I doubt that if they are aware that there was a histroical St. Nicholas in early Christianity, they think that he looked like the guy in the Coke ads. But who knows? We can only speculate.

A couple of other points:

It is my understanding that at least two places claim to have documented relics from the original St. Nicholas: a place in Asia Minor and a place in Italy. When these two sets of relics were compared, it appeared that they were not from the same person. So, the question arises, which set of relics did "some scientists" use to "recreate" the original St. Nicholas?

St. Nicholas has become a symbol. So, what he actually looked like and his race (most likely Caucasian) is beside the point. It's what he represents that matters. And so his external appearance could be just about anything that a particular community accepts as being a valid representation of the idea. If the race of the original St. Nicholas is still important to some, then it's most likely to have been Caucasian.

To me, and I would hope to most reasonable people, the most important thing is for our children to enjoy the symbolic meaning of St. Nicholas, and not to argue about the race of the original St. Nicholas.

Bill O'Reilly weighs in on the Santa Claus/Jesus race discussion...

Editted to embed the video and to say, good for you if you can make it through that entire 3 and 1/2 minute video. I posted the link before watching it, and the last 30 seconds are laughable. Claiming that the liberal media is attacking Megyn and Fox News because "they cannot defeat us on the media battlefield" and that Megyn's remarks were "totally harmless" is laugh out loud dumb.

Last edited:
He probably looked like a Cretan Greek.

600322-A_Cretan_trait-Crete_Island.jpg

My original point about him being from Lycia wasn't that he wasn't Caucasian, it was that he wasn't a jolly, pale skinned northern European.

Looks like a seafaring Ben Kingsley.

I posted the link before watching it, and the last 30 seconds are laughable. Claiming that the liberal media is attacking Megyn and Fox News because "they cannot defeat us on the media battlefield" and that Megyn's remarks were "totally harmless" is laugh out loud dumb.

Kelly and Fox unwittingly blundered into a situation which is pure gold to their viewers. Was a stupid segment that other networks would have wisely avoided, but any assertion that Whites and Christians are threatened and attacked by the vicious liberal media reinforces everything they believe. Dark skinned atheists are going to confiscate Bibles, guns, artificial Christmas trees, and health care and give them to illegal aliens and terrorists.

Back