• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Warren Ruggiero (likely new OC at WFU)

Come on now, Grobe talked into his headset. Granted, 90% of what he said was "let's go ahead and punt it here."

I just read a tweet by Coach Himey saying "good to be back on the road spending time with future Deacs with Coach Clawson (Is this old news?)

LOBO will be interviewing for the long snappers coaching job.

Last edited:
I just want to see us do a damn fake FG before I die.

Amen. Let's just get crazy here. How about we NOT punt from the opponent's 38 yard line on 4th and 1?
Or here's another one. How about we NOT call timeouts for an opponent who has NO timeouts when we have the lead in the final minutes
of a ball game?

I know. I know. Just getting wild with all this crazy talk.

Do we know what kind of offense Ruggiero likes to run?

He joined the staff in Clawson's 2nd year at BG. Wonder who his first OL coach was.

Bowling Green State University head football coach Dave Clawson has announced the hiring of new offensive line coach Bill Durkin. Durkin replaces John McDonell, who accepted the same position at Memphis

and just in case you're wondering ........... (I know you are)

John McDonell (pronounced MAC-done-el) enters his second season as the offensive line coach for the Green Wave in 2013.

A veteran with nearly 30 years of experience in college football, McDonell has been a part of nine bowl teams and many of his offensive linemen have earned All-America honors and gone on to distinguished NFL careers.

He came to Tulane from the University of Idaho where he spent the 2011 campaign as the offensive line coach for the Vandals.

Prior to Idaho, McDonell spent the 2010 season in the same capacity at the University of Memphis and he also served for one season in the same role at Bowling Green State University (2009), where he helped the Falcons to the Humanitarian Bowl.

That guy has been around. Wow.

I just want to see a head coach talking into his headset while on the sidelines and not using it for decoration. Hate to think of athletic dept. money being spent for it as little as it was used. Keep doing that and I'll be ClawsonIn for the foreseeable future.

aren't you buzzin?

That guy has been around. Wow.

more bio...

Before Bowling Green, McDonell's previous coaching stops included Purdue (2006-08), Stanford (2001, 2005), Notre Dame (2002-04), Washington State (1989-2000) and Weber State (1984-88).

He helped Purdue to the Champs Bowl in 2006 and the Motor City Bowl in 2007 and also played an instrumental role in Dustin Keller's first-round selection (30th overall) in the 2008 NFL Draft.

Before that, he was on the coaching staff for Notre Dame's appearances in the Gator Bowl (2002) and Insight Bowl (2004). Under his tutelage with the Irish, center Jeff Faine was a finalist for the Rimington Trophy and was a first-round draft pick (21st overall) by the Cleveland Browns in the 2003 draft.

McDonell was a member of Stanford's Seattle Bowl appearance in 2001 and coached Eric Heitmann to first team All-America honors that same season.

He's like a o-line mercenary, he hasn't stayed at one school for more than 2-3 years since early in his career...a bunch of one year gigs lately. However, he wins at each stop so you have to wonder why schools don't try to keep him (or why he doesn't want to stay longer).

more bio...

Before Bowling Green, McDonell's previous coaching stops included Purdue (2006-08), Stanford (2001, 2005), Notre Dame (2002-04), Washington State (1989-2000) and Weber State (1984-88).

He helped Purdue to the Champs Bowl in 2006 and the Motor City Bowl in 2007 and also played an instrumental role in Dustin Keller's first-round selection (30th overall) in the 2008 NFL Draft.

Before that, he was on the coaching staff for Notre Dame's appearances in the Gator Bowl (2002) and Insight Bowl (2004). Under his tutelage with the Irish, center Jeff Faine was a finalist for the Rimington Trophy and was a first-round draft pick (21st overall) by the Cleveland Browns in the 2003 draft.

McDonell was a member of Stanford's Seattle Bowl appearance in 2001 and coached Eric Heitmann to first team All-America honors that same season.

He's like a o-line mercenary, he hasn't stayed at one school for more than 2-3 years since early in his career...a bunch of one year gigs lately. However, he wins at each stop so you have to wonder why schools don't try to keep him (or why he doesn't want to stay longer).

Doesn't RW have to approve all hires?

that bio is not a candidate for our new staff

just a guy that coached o-line @ BG prior to Durkin (candidate)

There's nothing wrong with being a journeyman coach.

...as long as you don't mind renting instead of buying....:wtf:

Maybe that's his niche. He fills in on staffs until a more permanent choice comes available. Or maybe he specializes in working with young OLs. Who knows? It's interesting.

Great article on assistants in today's USA Today. To summarize...a nomadic existence is pretty standard.

We ran a fake punt once I think. SDeacz can talk about it.

Back