• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Washington Post: Jacob Lew's comments; Budget process explanation

More le sigh.

Again.

Presidents%20Avg%20Deficits%20v.3.img_assist_custom-640x480.jpg

Yep the debt he was handed, the two wars, the graying of of our country and the insane tax cuts don't have an impact.

again you called him a "fraud" for saying he'd cut the deficit by 50% during his first term. He cut it by 40% from its peak.

When shown this, you change your premies. Just like you have done for years.

Everyone got 17K lying around in their couch cushions. That's your personal share of the 2013 budget deficit. Can't wait for my kids to inherit this mess.

This budget is a total farce in that it does NOTHING to decrease spending. NOTHING. Spending actually goes up very slightly. Instead it relies on increased revenues - read more taxes (via increases in tax rates, more fees and just more revenue magically coming in the door).

Unfortunately for all of us, there is little hope of having those revenues materialize. Meaning the actual deficit will end up being higher than the 900 BILLION projected.

IOW, this offers us nothing in the way of spending reform because "the time for austerity is not now". In a way that is right, the time for some measure of austerity was a long time ago.

Your kids aren't going to inherit any debt because they'll refuse to increase taxes and cut spending just like we are now.

The funny thing is if the economic collapsed due to austerity DeacMan would be at arms, too.

Tell that to our friends in Europe.

And no, I wouldn't be up in arms about austerity. I'd be thrilled to see us take meaningful steps to deal with spending over a fair period of time. Unfortunately with this administration that isn't forthcoming. No proposed reforms to any entitlements. A huge new bureaucracy coming on line. Greater spending in other areas. And only minor cuts to miltary spending.

It is just more of the same from DC.

I was wrong about 2009 to 2010. 71 was wronfg about going up every year.

The 2013 projected deficit is about $800B vs. a bit over $1.5T for his first budget. to say that's "fraudulent" is flat out wrong.

If being off by 3-6% out of $1.5T is a fraud, then it's about a preconceived determination and not results.

Can't you read? I never said the deficit went up every year.

Back