• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Watch the Throne

IrishSlim

The Sultan of Swashbuckle
Reaction score
Brilliant. The whole thing. Fucking brilliant.

And Kanye carries Shawn Carter for the majority of the album. And not just through the beats. Lyrically, too. While brilliant, the album is strange, and strange as hell. Which is proto-Kanye, not vintage Jay-Z

Last edited:
waiting for this thread.

references to past works/collaborations aplenty, witty lines, sharp beats.

i found the consistent theme of what it means to be a successful black man very compelling and interesting, especially juxtaposed with songs like "murder to excellence."

the last four tracks make the album.

somehow it managed to live up to the immense hype that was hanging over it.

its a beast of an album. fun, introspective, timely and progressive all at once.

i really liked how Kanye in the last 12-18 months has brought in some of the classic rap producers (RZA, Q-Tip, Pete Rock) to bridge the gap with his new style.

murder to excellence and why i love you are the 2 standouts for me. primetime is another very sick song. the only misstep on the album is made in america. everything else bangs.

i feel sorry for other rappers who've dropped albums this year.

edit: made in america isnt really bad. i really dig the sentiment of it, but the song itself is kinda boring.

Last edited:
I love it, but I argue strongly that Kanye is carrying Jay lyrically on the album. Hova usually takes several listens to catch the cleverness of his words.

I've only given it a very cursory listen so far. I thought Murder to Excellence was pretty good, but nothing else jumped out at me initally. Gonna spend some more time with it this week, but my initial impression was that it didn't quite live up to the hype, or maybe it would for the hardcore hiphop fan, but it doesnt seem like it has the crossover power of MBDTF.

I've only given it a very cursory listen so far. I thought Murder to Excellence was pretty good, but nothing else jumped out at me initally. Gonna spend some more time with it this week, but my initial impression was that it didn't quite live up to the hype, or maybe it would for the hardcore hiphop fan, but it doesnt seem like it has the crossover power of MBDTF.

I don't think it's trying to be as bold as MBDTF, which strived for (and reached) some places that rap music had never gone before. This is more of a straight ahead rap/hip-hop album, and as such, it's pretty damn great. I would be inclined to say that this is more Ye's album than Hova's, but perhaps that's just because I've always been a bigger Kanye fan. Regardless, as someone said earlier, I feel sorry for any other rapper releasing an album soon, and that includes Lil Wayne whose Carter IV I just keep getting less and less excited about.

zippy chance this album is as good as the reviews it gets here.

"You dont even know what that means."
"No one knows what it means but its provacative."
"No its not its gross"
"It gets the people GOING!"

i cant believe they dropped a Blades of Glory sample in it but its so hilarious.

I also like when they go back and forth, like old school rappers did. You don't hear much of that these days. Mostly, it's do a whole verse and "on to the next one"

"You dont even know what that means."
"No one knows what it means but its provacative."
"No its not its gross"
"It gets the people GOING!"

i cant believe they dropped a Blades of Glory sample in it but its so hilarious.

Haha yeah that surprised the hell out of me first time I heard that, was defs awesome though.

I like the Otis Redding song.

beats are interesting but not much depth in the lyrics

Awesome review here

2. Lift Off (ft. Beyonce) - I almost aint wanna even comment on this shit son.... I dont even kno what to say bout it yo. This shit sounds like the anthem the fairies in Ferngully would use to go to war against evil humans to or some shit b. This shit is like Shia LeBeouf in song form yo. Lissenin to this shit is like havin ya ears penetrated by a million microscopic dicks namsayin. Shit sounds like niggas doin aerobics on a magical cloud of daisies. How many meadows did Kanye cartwheel across before he decided to make this beat? Seriously yo.... Jus how many lily pads did the nigga skip across the pond on before he got inspired to make some shit like this? Definitely one a the worst songs Jay ever been involved in...thats includin those lame joints off Vol 3 wit Amil n Mariah or the worst songs off Kingdom Come....EVEN the Timbo joints off Blueprint 3. Like this joint is SOFT son. Guess thats why Jay only spit like 5 n a half bars on it. Its like the song Yung Berg would play before he goes n commits his latest string of L's. Shit is jus terrible son...especially since it took like 6 niggas to produce this muthafucka.

Back