• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Watch the Throne

I was excited for the album. I listened to it. I thought it sucked.

I'm sure I'll give it another shot, but I thought it was wayyyyyy overproduced.

I was excited for the album. I listened to it. I thought it sucked.

I'm sure I'll give it another shot, but I thought it was wayyyyyy overproduced.

This is me except I had more foresight. I expected it to suck. These two are awful. Nigrep away, whitey rap scholars.

This is me except I had more foresight. I expected it to suck. These two are awful. Nigrep away, whitey rap scholars.

What are your thoughts on My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy? It's easily one of the best rap albums of the last decade IMO.

I wouldn't say it's awful. It doesn't match the level of the previous album for each of these guys (then again, what does?), but it's not a complete disaster. It's ok.

It's not good. Kanye thinks way too highly of Kanye now, he used to at least be somewhat self and socially conscious, now when he raps I feel like i'm listening to an advertisement, how many high class designers can I name in 16 bars. GO!

Kanye and Jay-Z are awful? Come on, bro. The album is terrible, but Ye and Hova have some pretty good cuts between the two of them.

like twenty fuckin' years ago...

NOW WE'RE IN NEEWWWWW YORRKKKKKKKK!

Ive given it a fair listen now.

Murder to Excellence, Church in the Wild and Nwords in Paris are all solid.

I agree that the Kanye's overproduced style is starting to wear on me. I appreciate the difficulty of fitting it all together, but I think that there is something to be said for more stripped down bangers that let the verses and hooks shine on their own (Like the first 3 OutKast records, for instance).

Can't relate to Kanye any more (as much as a middle class white guy could ever relate to Kanye)... People talk about Fantasy as such a great album, but I couldn't care less about it. The difference between College Dropout and now is huge.

Can't relate to Kanye any more (as much as a middle class white guy could ever relate to Kanye)... People talk about Fantasy as such a great album, but I couldn't care less about it. The difference between College Dropout and now is huge.

Completely agree.

That's my point.

He makes music for a bunch of nerds who care more about what he's sampling than what he's saying. Gay Z lost me when he decided to dumb his music down to appeal to mass audiences. The funny thing is, they lost me for opposite reasons and both ended up over-produced and underperforming lyrically. That to me is what rap is about.

lol at "misunderstanding"... You just don't GET IT, man!

come off it. I have respect for the music and I wasn't saying it was a piece of trash -- but relating to music is what makes it enjoyable to me. It's why I like the things I like. They speak to me because I can feel some connection to what is there. Haven't really gotten that from Kanye's recent records, which is why I don't care to listen to them.

lol at "misunderstanding"... You just don't GET IT, man!

come off it. I have respect for the music and I wasn't saying it was a piece of trash -- but relating to music is what makes it enjoyable to me. It's why I like the things I like. They speak to me because I can feel some connection to what is there. Haven't really gotten that from Kanye's recent records, which is why I don't care to listen to them.

How many rappers can you relate to, then?

I liked Fantasy and really enjoyed some of the other Good Friday tracks Kanye put out last year. I can get behind the idea that Jay-Z isn't what he once was, but he's not terrible.

This album is just weird and bad and a lot of the songs are hardly hip-hop. Not giving up on the artists though.

White people mocking other white people for reviewing rap, then in turn reviewing rap. Got it. It's the music version of the Internetz is Serious Business - Until it's not and then it is again.

My zeal for the album has waned over the past week, though I still like it. The album's relistenability factor isn't great, though. Stand-by the assertion that this is more Kanye than Jay-Z, for better and for worse.

It's not good. Kanye thinks way too highly of Kanye now, he used to at least be somewhat self and socially conscious, now when he raps I feel like i'm listening to an advertisement, how many high class designers can I name in 16 bars. GO!

MBDTF was about his fall from grace and his realization that he is a douche but can't help saying the obnoxious stuff that he does. Runaway is all about that.

And Kanye's social consciousness has always been LOL. Seriously, college dropout came out right when Katrina did.

Back