• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Ways to discourage a child's interest in organized religion

Take them to church and make them sit there.

4ce.jpg

Encourage them to ask questions (on any topic), always answer said questions honestly, and let them make the decision for themselves without forcing them one way or the other. That should do it.

i went to a super boring presbyterian service for YEARS, did sunday school, participated in a variety of youth-related things, even did confirmation.

i figured out it was bullshit on my own around age 11-12 and faked my way through confirmation at 13 for my parents' sake.

this can't be serious. Even the witch thinks discouraging your child's interest in organized religion is a terrible idea.

interesting, why is that? we discourage kids from other pallative, addictive substances

interesting, why is that? we discourage kids from other pallative, addictive substances

I guess I just trust my kids to make their own decisions. I fundamentally believe in their right to learn about things that interest them as long as they aren't being harmed or endangered. I wouldn't want to discourage them from learning about Christianity or Buddhism or Islam any more than I would want to discourage them from learning about Evolution, 20th Century Literature, etc. I suppose your argument here is that they are being endangered or harmed by learning about organized religion, I just happen to think my kids are smart enough to avoid that harm and if not, maybe I am the one on the wrong side of things.

sure, but that doesn't mean we leave kids to their own devices on EVERYTHING, especially the things that go against the personal values we're trying to pass on.

sure, but that doesn't mean we leave kids to their own devices on EVERYTHING, especially the things that go against the personal values we're trying to pass on.

So, you don't think doing what your parents did was ok? Instilling their personal values but letting you figure out it wasn't for you? I intend to instill my values in them, but I am not arrogant enough to think I know best on everything. And I didn't say I would leave them to their own devices on everything. In fact, I never said I would leave them to their own devices on this, just that I wouldn't discourage it, doesn't mean I wouldn't share what I believe and my thoughts. Also definitely doesn't mean on everything (as I already stated in the last post).

Unfortunately, you can't vote for Barack Obama anymore. I've told that will do the trick. Maybe write him in next election.

Seriously though, how hard would it be to "discourage a child's interest in organized religion"? Just tell him/her that God is make-believe and none of it is real and people who believe in it are idiots and Satan is the only true Lord and that should pretty much do the trick assuming the kid is less than 13 years old.

I would've preferred my parents didn't waste my time and give me that good old protestant guilt

Back