• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Ways to discourage a child's interest in organized religion

Let it run its course. Organized religion has fucked up a lot of shit but has done a lot of good too. If you force your ideas on your kids it'll just make them resentful.

While I'm not religious myself, I do think there could be value in teaching my kids to fear God at least through high school so they don't run around putting their dongs in things/themselves. Nothing major, just kind of make them think they will suffer Hell's eternal torment if they put P in the V. Don't want to be one of those dudes who is a grandpa at age 45. They can still crank it or have oral pleasures, I'm not Catholic.

While I'm not religious myself, I do think there could be value in teaching my kids to fear God at least through high school so they don't run around putting their dongs in things/themselves. Nothing major, just kind of make them think they will suffer Hell's eternal torment if they put P in the V. Don't want to be one of those dudes who is a grandpa at age 45. They can still crank it or have oral pleasures, I'm not Catholic.

Buttsex ok?

Instead of going to church on Sunday, maybe take them to volunteer to help folks at the soup kitchen or clean up a park, etc. At least give them some decency lessons.

Bible study did it for me...like real, in depth study. He'll either believe that none of it is plausible or that GOD (all caps, obv) is the biggest douchebag ever. Either one should do the trick.

All 3 of our kids will spend, or have spent, the first 5-6 years of their life in a religious preschool. In spite of that, none of the 3 has any interest in organized religion, and we did nothing overtly to discourage it.

All 3 of our kids will spend, or have spent, the first 5-6 years of their life in a religious preschool. In spite of that, none of the 3 has any interest in organized religion, and we did nothing overtly to discourage it.

no offense, but if we're really all about 'let the kid make their own decisions', why is it weird to 'discourage' interest but totally fine to subject them to systematic religious-education during formative years, and not just "Christianity" but in most cases a specific sub-sect of Christianity

no offense, but if we're really all about 'let the kid make their own decisions', why is it weird to 'discourage' interest but totally fine to subject them to systematic religious-education during formative years, and not just "Christianity" but in most cases a specific sub-sect of Christianity

Because it's hard to find a good satanist pre-school without a waiting list these days.

While I'm not religious myself, I do think there could be value in teaching my kids to fear God at least through high school so they don't run around putting their dongs in things/themselves.

Because religion is the only way you can get to this?

It probably differs from school to school, but at the Catholic pre-school my daughter went to, it was hardly "systematic religious education." It was more like, "here's a bunch of time for you to play together, learn your alphabet, and oh yeah, don't be a dick." The lessons they learned that would form the foundation for religious education were presented in a mostly non-religious way, so as to not confuse the children. Be nice to people, be charitable, respect your parents/elders... those are all basic things kids need to learn, whether it is because God says so or because you don't want them to turn into monsters. Of course, if you send them to some backwoods reformation church school, they could be snake-handling in preschool, so your mileage may vary.

anytime you take your kid to a school run by church volunteers or includes religious-based education it's systemic religious education, i don't care what you want to tell yourself. On top of that, i'm talking about taking your kids to church every week, making them do sunday school, possibly having them do some kind of church-based summer camp thing.

Definitely dont let your kids go on a middle school fall retreat with a youth group. They'll start affiliating church with getting fingerbanged/jerked off in their sleeping bags. Will be christians forever.

OR perhaps let them come to their own conclusions?

Back