• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

We are not prepared for the coming dementia crisis

Isn't every diagnosis category going to be a crisis given the disproportionate way Boomers tax the healthcare system?

Isn't every diagnosis category going to be a crisis given the disproportionate way Boomers tax the healthcare system?

good thing they did a great job they used their considerable political power to set up a stable, affordable medical system coupled with having the responsibility to save for retirement

good thing they did a great job they used their considerable political power to set up a stable, affordable medical system coupled with having the responsibility to save for retirement

They did set one up for them. They just don’t want it to be For All.

Medicare doesn’t come close to meeting the needs of demented patients.

Oh, it helps many people quite a lot. Far better than if we didn’t have it/anything.

But it doesn’t provide well for increasing frail, unwell folks.

We certainly weren’t prepared for them this time two years ago.

Oh, it helps many people quite a lot. Far better than if we didn’t have it/anything.

But it doesn’t provide well for increasing frail, unwell folks.

But is private health insurance (even before Obamacare cratered it) materially better in that particular area? I think it is just a shitty situation to be in no matter what insurance you have. I think care from family members in a dementia setting is going to dictate "success" more than any type of insurance can provide. It is not a situation where increased money = increased acute care = better results. It sucks no matter how much money is involved.

Ignoring (mostly) the inaccurate swipe at the ACA, no—“private” health insurance isn’t “better” at meeting the needs of folks requiring long-term or custodial care.

Biggest payer for this is Medicaid (because you are poor in the first place or spent all your money on care and became poor). Sure, families generally do the best they can. But often families can’t provide any, enough or adequate care.

If only there was a mechanism where everyone contributed to a pool of resources that would be there for each of us when we need it.

navigating the system and attempting to provide care for a loved one with dementia is a humbling, frustrating experience

in my experience, facilities that accept Medicaid offer a level of care that is below what I consider acceptable for a loved one - meaning the solution will be extremely expensive

navigating the system and attempting to provide care for a loved one with dementia is a humbling, frustrating experience

in my experience, facilities that accept Medicaid offer a level of care that is below what I consider acceptable for a loved one - meaning the solution will be extremely expensive

All of the best hospitals in the country accept Medicaid and its patients. Mayo, Cleveland Clinic, Hopkins. CMS has a rating system for hospitals for fuck's sake - the five star hospitals are all the names you know. This is just a ridiculous statement.

All of the best hospitals in the country accept Medicaid and its patients. Mayo, Cleveland Clinic, Hopkins. CMS has a rating system for hospitals for fuck's sake - the five star hospitals are all the names you know. This is just a ridiculous statement.

How many beds does the Cleveland Clinic have for assisted living for Alzheimer's patients?

I think he was referring to long term care facilities v. inpatient hospitals. Generally those that accept Medicaid are not all that nice.

Back