• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

We need a little Northwestern game noise

We played terribly on offense. It was unquestionably our worst game. Bryant turned it over too often. Bizarrely in 39 minutes, neither Mitch nor Brandon had a single assist when we had two guys posting up and getting whatever shot they wanted.

Other than Brandon and Mitch getting abused by McIntosh our D was actually good. We held the #8 3 pt shooting team to 23.1% and overall to 40.9% (were shooting about 50% for the season) and held them to 65 at home vs. their 80 ppg season average.

Without McIntosh (who was shooting 34.9/21 for the season), the rest of NW shot 34% from the field and 4-18 from three.

Yes, we played terribly. Yes, we have to do something with the Mitch/Brandon position. But, the Suicide Squad is misplaced.

MW sucks. Can't guard a stop sign. He's Danny's boy though and we are stuck with him.

Indeed. The fact that Washington or SJM can't sniff a meaningful minute really makes me doubt their ability to contribute.

Imagine if we went large and had a lineup of Crawford, Woods, Wash, Dinos, Collins. Sub in SJM for either big.

The fact that Manning plays GMac at the 4 over some combo of Collins/Mitoglou/Moore/SJM is criminal. He loves to let other teams dictate who should be on the floor rather than the other way around.
This!! Make the other team guard moore and Collins down low. Play a zone defense for a few minutes to allow that. Fucking man to man every time down the court is ridiculous and so is allowing other teams to dictate our lineups

Explain to me how a coach who hasn't improved was able to take a team with zero Top 50 players and get them in the Top 10 in two major offensive categories and in the Top 25 in two others for 20% of the season.

I absolutely love this little jewel that RJ keeps dishing up.

6 warm-up non-conference games in November equals "20% of the season" for judging performance.

Yep, playing the reigning NC, who returned 6 of their Top 8 players is a warm up game.

Shooting threes and FTs still have to be made. The Top 25 plays schedules like ours, yet our numbers are better.

The 14-3 Spurs lost to the 5-12 Heat.

NW beat TX and played Butler to the last possession. They aren't your daddy's NW.

And we were 4.5 point dogs. It wasn't an upset.

But we did suck.

Im fine with last night, we just had a bad game. The only thing that baffles me is why Mclinton and Wilbekin play so much.

This is just not true. In the 2004-2005 season we lost on the road to an FSU team that went 12-19 and didn't make any post season. I will go on record right now and say northwestern at least makes the NIT. People it was a road game in the end of November against a quality opponent.

NW is ranked 46th in KenPom right now. KenPom rankings go back to 2002. In those pre-Bzz years, here are the number of games we lost against teams ranked 46 or worse, with each year's worst loss specified.

2010: 6 losses (including ACCT), #108 William & Mary at home
2009: 5 losses (including ACCT and NCAAT), #99 GT away
2008: 10 losses (including ACCT), #110 NCSU away (although the 39-point drubbing at #105 BC is worth mentioning)
2007: 7 losses, #150(!) USF away
2006: 8 losses (including NIT), #104 GT away (by 15, also at home to #90 DePaul)
2005: 1 loss, #101 FSU away
2004: 1 loss, #68 UVA away
2003: 3 losses (including ACCT and NCAAT), #82 UVA away
2002: 5 losses, #132 Clemson away

NW is ranked 46th in KenPom right now. KenPom rankings go back to 2002. In those pre-Bzz years, here are the number of games we lost against teams ranked 46 or worse, with each year's worst loss specified.

2010: 6 losses (including ACCT), #108 William & Mary at home
2009: 5 losses (including ACCT and NCAAT), #99 GT away
2008: 10 losses (including ACCT), #110 NCSU away (although the 39-point drubbing at #105 BC is worth mentioning)
2007: 7 losses, #150(!) USF away
2006: 8 losses (including NIT), #104 GT away (by 15, also at home to #90 DePaul)
2005: 1 loss, #101 FSU away
2004: 1 loss, #68 UVA away
2003: 3 losses (including ACCT and NCAAT), #82 UVA away
2002: 5 losses, #132 Clemson away

Can we get that for the Bzz years?

Can we get that for the Bzz years?

The numbers get a little high, so my math may be off a bit, but...

2011: 12 losses (including ACCT), #300 Stetson... at home... by 10 (There were 345 teams in the rankings that year; Stetson finished 8-23. This season also featured losses to #221 Winthrop, #203 UNCW, and #253 Presbyterian, any of which would have been our worst since the rankings began)
2012: 10 losses (including ACCT), #230 Arizona State neutral court by 28
2013: 14 losses (including ACCT), #169 VPI away
2014: 6 losses, #142 BC at home

For reference, the Manning years:

2015: 9 losses (including ACCT to #175 VPI), #262 Delaware State
2016: 7 losses (including ACCT), #99 Richmond

I think I found an ACC team who plays even worse defense than we do, NCState. They are horrendous on the defensive end and it gives me confidence we can beat them this year.

Meanwhile, Texas dropped to 3-3 after their double digit home loss to UT Arlington. Does this mean Shaka is a bad coach. His boys lost by 19 to that same northwestern team in a neutral site game last week.

Meanwhile, Texas dropped to 3-3 after their double digit home loss to UT Arlington. Does this mean Shaka is a bad coach. His boys lost by 19 to that same northwestern team in a neutral site game last week.

TUA will defend!

TUA will defend!

Listen I love shaka. As a high school coach I bought into Havoc and implemented the program with my program. I am just reminding people to step back off the ledge a bit. In a month and a half(mid January) we look as bad as we did last night then there is cause for concern. It was a poorly played game by one of our stars (almost worse, being our pg) & we still had a shot at a real quality road win. The hyperbole that we never had a loss this bad during any era (sans goofball before Manning) is completely false. As the man above pointed out we had way worse losses, multiple times a year during our heyday.

I may be naive like the guy said earlier and maybe old age has caused me to calm a bit, but I truly think we are headed in the right direction.

Just read this entire thread and there is one thing that can be said with certainty. 1976Deac, you got the Northwestern game noise you requested. It's probably not the noise you expected but there was plenty of it.

1976 will take any male noise after all these decades of a home filled with a throng of women and girls. Give the brother a break.

No, because those of us asserting Manning isn't a good coach aren't basing it on the first 6 games of this season, much less just on this NW game. Shaka has a record of success. Manning has a record of...

Im fine with last night, we just had a bad game. The only thing that baffles me is why Mclinton and Wilbekin play so much.

This is exactly how I feel.

The only additional comment/criticism I would make on DM is that GM and MW were both in the game together for extended periods of time with no post presence (Dinos doesn't count). We were killing them inside, they had no answer except to foul and in crunch time we go small and jack up three balls. Why go away from what's working to the thing that hasn't worked all night in a critical part of the game? We went up eight and Collins took a seat and they went on a 11-2 run. I just don't get his substitution patterns or in-game coaching decisions at times. Overall, we are much improved and I'm excited about WF B-ball for the first time in a while, though...

Last edited:
Back