• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

We should hire John Currie as our next AD

Met and had dinner with Currie one time when he was in the Wake athletic department. I was most impressed with him. I would think we could do a lot worse. And if it's left to Hatch, we probably will do much worse. As someone else said, the last short-term guy who got laughed out of Knoxville for things beyond his control and now works at Wake has turned out to be pretty good.

I'm assuming everyone wants Wellman to just give up his salary and job for this guy?

Because we aren't firing Wellman anytime soon.

I'm assuming everyone wants Wellman to just give up his salary and job for this guy?

Because we aren't firing Wellman anytime soon.

He's almost 70 and he's got all of the ducks in a row. It's time for him to get out.

Wellman graduated from Bowling Green in 1970 -- 47 years ago. So, he's approaching 70. Agree that there's no chance that WF fires him, but retirement has to be on the horizon. Is there no WF policy that mandates retirement by a certain age?

I'm not disagreeing...I just don't see it, especially with a reasonably productive year.

He may very well stay until he's forced out.

Currie left Tenn the first time in 2009, meaning he was there when Clawson was hired/fired in 2008. He had a number of positions there - I'm guessing he was Executive Associate Athletic Director in 2008. Someone should get Clawson's opinioin before going after Currie.

Currie's a good man. Fully onboard with the idea of bringing him to MSD. He'll do well here.

Also, Currie let Frank Martin leave, then replaced him with BRUCE WEBER. There is evidence to suggest that he stinks as an AD.

Martin was offered a TRUCK load of cash to go to South Carolina. Not sure, Currie let Martin do anything. I also don't see the FBI sniffing around Kansas State's basketball program.

Wellman graduated from Bowling Green in 1970 -- 47 years ago. So, he's approaching 70. Agree that there's no chance that WF fires him, but retirement has to be on the horizon. Is there no WF policy that mandates retirement by a certain age?

I had some profs that were in the mid 80s, so it's no earlier than that.

Is it legal to force someone to retire based on their age?

What about the rising star AD at Furman who worked as an assistant AD at WF?

A lot of businesses have a mandatory retirement age.

What about the rising star AD at Furman who worked as an assistant AD at WF?

Mike Buddie. He had a pretty significant role in hiring Clawson before he left for the Furman job. He would be an outstanding AD at Wake.

I kind of assumed he was the guy set up to take over when Wellman leaves.

I'm not disagreeing...I just don't see it, especially with a reasonably productive year.

He may very well stay until he's forced out.

Wellman has turned down other opportunities over the years including Tennessee around 15 years ago. It doesn't appear as though he's ready to retire soon. Obviously still has multiple projects in the works with acquiring facilities, all the upgrades and constructing new facilities. He has done a great job raising $.

There's more to it than hiring and firing coaches for revenue sports. I'm as angry as anyone for what he has done to destroy our bball program, but I don't expect him to retire soon even though he is getting up there in years.

I'm trying to better understand the exact skill set needed to be a good AD. I'm having trouble. Connections certainly help. Was that Currie's problem (in addition to serving a shitty set of fans and alums)?

Back