• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

We Should Not Have Lost This Game

It's all in how you interpret giving. I know if we handed you the ball four times, and you failed to capitalize because of some poor playcalling, I would have felt that you gave us back the game.

In my case... I would just think you would be the better team. To win in spite of being in the negatives in turnovers either shows more talent, physicality, coaching or a mixture of the two.

We lost because of our OL coach who also called a shitty game as OC. Never really adjusted to what MSS was doing and continued to call the same dumbass plays he has all year. Too many sweeps and options and attempts at 30 yd + throws when his OL could not protect the QB. Throwing the ball three yds when you need 10. Refusing to throw quick outs and slants to take the pressure off Tanner. Did not help that Tanner was off, but Lobo did nothing to help get him on track. Lobo has cost us at least 2 or 3 games this year. He is the difference between a winning season and 6-7 season. He was lucky on 2006 and we will pay forever

This stage its not Lobo its Grobe.

Givens better forget declaring for the NFL pretty damn quickly.

Alligator arms is a HUGE red flag for NFL scouts. And Givens had alligator arms.

MSU was bigger and stronger. That's it. In terms of football talent, its a push. Like most games, the difference is the line play.

We played a number of teams that were better than MSU this year; but after 4 months our lack of depth caught up to us, even with 4 weeks to heal up. Players themselves admitted they were a beat up team the last few weeks.

MSU was more physical on both sides of the line, Tanner played the worst game that I have seen from him this year from the get go, I truly figured he would get it worked out by the second half but he did not. MSU secondaries speed and strength appeared to surprise our receivers, they were some athletic dudes. Our wide receivers not only dropped passes that they had to catch but failed horribly in blocking on our reverses. Even with all that we had a chance to win the game which speaks volumes about our smoke and mirrors play. Just a miserable fail in our last offensive series. I think MSU was about 6 points better than us and that's where it ended.Not an esthetic game but hard fought and still enjoyable as far as college football is concerned.

Not to start shit, but is Wake Forest really so much better than us that you guys just lost because you gave us the game? We gave up 4 turn overs and still won in spite of that. How was it your game to lose in that case?

No offense was intended of your fine program. The whole reason for this thread (and 90% of the football threads on this board) is because a few of our posters believe that we would magically win every single game if we simply had a new OC. There is absolutely no evidence that our failure to execute is due to poor playcalling, but in this age of video games anyone whos ever played Madden on their Wii is suddenly qualified as an expert at playcalling. Whoever started this tread did so to criticize Coach Lobo and not to disrespect MSU.

No offense was intended of your fine program. The whole reason for this thread (and 90% of the football threads on this board) is because a few of our posters believe that we would magically win every single game if we simply had a new OC. There is absolutely no evidence that our failure to execute is due to poor playcalling, but in this age of video games anyone whos ever played Madden on their Wii is suddenly qualified as an expert at playcalling. Whoever started this tread did so to criticize Coach Lobo and not to disrespect MSU.

My nomination for Post of the Year. This pretty much nails it.

+1...Coach Lobotzke had his faults, but last night was primarily just being dominated at the LOS imo.

Of course Lobo is also the offensive line coach and has tons of size and experience to work with this year.

To be fair, sometimes Lobo's faults are as OL coach and not just as OC.

I put our consistently poor performance on 3rd downs squarely on the shoulders of the OC. We have a decent O Line yet continually fail to convert third downs. Yesterday was another example of our piss poor conversion percentages...its the system.

Many of our WII coaches seem to forget that the other team sometimes will field a defensive unit that can affect our offensive play!

They did the same thing that VT did to us. They loaded the box big time and with Givens our main deep threat taking the night off we didn't have a lot of options. We tried a few screens but with their speed that is not easy either. We did run some quick hitters hoping to break through the line and had some success. We just needed a couple of deep balls to back their defense off and we never could get one.

This.. is quite honestly one of the classiest things I've read from an opposing fan. I'm just appreciative to have read something like that.

You want to know the reason we lost? Because MSU was much bigger and much stronger and much faster and more athletic at more positions. Period.

Add to that the fact that Tanner played his worst game since Stanford, that Givens has checked out in advance a la Jeff Teague, and it was frankly miraculous that we covered the spread.

We were lucky as hell to be in a position to win the game on the final possession, and it was only because MSU turned the ball over four times (to our zero) and played like they were mailing it in most of the game.

All the usual crapola on this board about Lobo's play calling or Grobe's conservatism is irrelevant. Nobody wants to admit it but there is a ceiling to Wake Forest football and we're there and have been since after the Magic Year of 2006 (itself a fluke, a very, very enjoyable fluke, but a fluke).

You want to know the reason we lost? Because MSU was much bigger and much stronger and much faster and more athletic at more positions. Period.

Add to that the fact that Tanner played his worst game since Stanford, that Givens has checked out in advance a la Jeff Teague, and it was frankly miraculous that we covered the spread.

We were lucky as hell to be in a position to win the game on the final possession, and it was only because MSU turned the ball over four times (to our zero) and played like they were mailing it in most of the game.

All the usual crapola on this board about Lobo's play calling or Grobe's conservatism is irrelevant. Nobody wants to admit it but there is a ceiling to Wake Forest football and we're there and have been since after the Magic Year of 2006 (itself a fluke, a very, very enjoyable fluke, but a fluke).

i agree with everything you wrote but this is an enjoyable ceiling to be at and we've had too many near misses for the 2006 year to be just a fluke.

Back