• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Webb Simpson - US Open Champion

I hate arguments like this. If you're not a tremendous player, you can't compete at the Open - harsh conditions or not. I get tired of pampered pros who complain about course setups, crowed noise, blah blah blah blah. Just shut up and play. Hit the ball straight. Play intelligently. That's what wins Opens.

I hate arguments like this. If you're not a tremendous player, you can't compete at the Open - harsh conditions or not. I get tired of pampered pros who complain about course setups, crowed noise, blah blah blah blah. Just shut up and play. Hit the ball straight. Play intelligently. That's what wins Opens.

I agree. IMO this is why USA professionals are not competing well against foreign pros. Foreign players do not play courses so perfect as the American tour sees week in and week out. The Open courses are so different from the ordinary that too many American players get flustered and mail it in.

I didn't here where he said he wasn't drunk?

He didn't. I thought that the video indicated the incident was a politically motivated, planned stunt instead of a random drunk guy. I didn't consider it could've been both. My bad.

I agree. IMO this is why USA professionals are not competing well against foreign pros. Foreign players do not play courses so perfect as the American tour sees week in and week out. The Open courses are so different from the ordinary that too many American players get flustered and mail it in.

3 straight American victories in majors

6 of the last 10 Open champions have been foreign.

I would expect that trend to change. There are a ton of good, young U.S. golfers out there now. Simpson, Haas, Johnson, Fowler, Watson, Mahan, Bradley, and Cantlay (I love this kid). We won't see someone dominate the game over the next ten years as Tiger did from 2000-2010. The talent pool is too deep.

The top Euros are now some of the best players to not win a major (Westwood and Donald). Westwood has certainly had his fair share of opportunities, but his window is closing.

I would expect that trend to change. There are a ton of good, young U.S. golfers out there now. Simpson, Haas, Johnson, Fowler, Watson, Mahan, Bradley, and Cantlay (I love this kid). We won't see someone dominate the game over the next ten years as Tiger did from 2000-2010. The talent pool is too deep.

The top Euros are now some of the best players to not win a major (Westwood and Donald). Westwood has certainly had his fair share of opportunities, but his window is closing.

Love Bill Haas. But it's been a rough year for him outside of the win at Northern Trust Open, he's struggled. He's still a good golfer though. Agreed with your list, I think part of the reason I don't see Tiger dominating like he did in the past is the number of talented young players on the tour.

Westwood=Colin...never gonna win one.

Unreal ball striker. Can't chip.

Still, he's come so close enough times in recent years. I feel like he's going to backdoor into one where he posts a score and sits in the clubhouse while others collapse.

Still, he's come so close enough times in recent years. I feel like he's going to backdoor into one where he posts a score and sits in the clubhouse while others collapse.

I would like him to win one. I really couldn't stand Monty. He always seemed so smug. Westwood seems like a pretty affable guy that I would enjoy a beer with.

Not an especially good putter either. Goes through stretches where nothing goes in. When you're playing in a British or US Open, you're gonna be chipping more than usual and have more 6-10' par putts than usual. That's not Westwood's strength. His best chance might be this year's PGA at the Ocean Course where ball striking will be at a premium.

As for the debate about US Open setups, I pretty much agree with Mebane. Whether you're ranked #1 or #300 in the world, you just absolutely must have your all-around A game that week and have to spend the majority of that week in the fairway. And as Mebane said, you gotta be smart, patient and cautious (which is why I'm surprised Phil has contended in so many Opens). The problem I used to have with US Opens is, prior to Mike Jones, they used to have some gimmicky and unfair setups. You could argue that this year's Open could have had slightly wider fairways or even wider 1st cuts, but this was a much better and fairer setup than 1998 was. Jones deserves a ton of credit for his setups the last several years.

Luke Donald looks destined to be the new Colin Montgomerie I think. He'll win abunch of world-wide non-major tournaments, but probably never get a major. I hope I'm wrong, I like the guy, but his record in majors has been very poor.

Just read that Webb is skipping the British Open to stay home for the birth of his next child.

Just read that Webb is skipping the British Open to stay home for the birth of his next child.

Good for him, he'll have the opportunity to play in 20+ more British Opens, unless they plan on competing with the Waltons he'll have far less chances to witness the birth of his children.

She should have the baby early so Webb doesn't miss out on one year of his exemption.

Back