• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Weekly cell phone thread: NEW iPhone DISCUSSION GOES HERE

Huh, my both of mine were working flawlessly until they started doing the screen/app "refreshing" thing I mentioned a month or two ago. First the new (2014) one, then the old (2013) one that I'm using while out of the country. I am suspicious that it's a wifi strength issue - like losing and regaining connection causing the app to reload - but in any case, it's infuriating. I can barely type a response in tapa without it resetting back to the forums screen and losing everything, for example. Happens all over the place.

You really go through that much data? $80 gets you 10 gigs from Verizon these days. I tether all day at work and split 15 gigs with the wife - we never come close. I guess maybe if you don't have home internet? Always curious to hear how people blow through so much data on a phone.

Streaming Netflix at lunch and baseball games in cabs/buses kills me.

yeah, might have to do that now. I hate to lose unlimited but it's almost $250 wasted for me this year to keep it.

oh, secondary to that, anyone know if I could port my number in that situation? I haven't fucked with my plan in like 5 years so I have no idea.

I doubt there will be any personal cellular contracts in two more years. TMobile and John Legere are driving the US market towards the all GSM global style where phones are separate from service. It's gone under the radar, but in the last month or so all 4 major US carriers have added Canada and Mexico to their networks.

This doesn't belong here, but I fear the potential tags with a new thread. :rofl:

Upgraded to Windows 10 the other day. What a disaster. Lost all connectivity - no wireless. Looked online, saw this was a common problem, and followed the (unofficial) posted fixes. None helped, so I went back to Windows 7. Anyone else have this problem?

This doesn't belong here, but I fear the potential tags with a new thread. :rofl:

Upgraded to Windows 10 the other day. What a disaster. Lost all connectivity - no wireless. Looked online, saw this was a common problem, and followed the (unofficial) posted fixes. None helped, so I went back to Windows 7. Anyone else have this problem?

I have a work laptop and one at home. Updated both - the work one works great, no bugs at all; keyboard/mouse on the home one didn't work after the update. Luckily, it's a touchscreen, so I was able to revert back to Windows 7, though I did try to update drivers but that didn't fix it. Figured I'd give it a few months and try again. Wireless worked on it though.

In prep for Windows 10 I ran the outstanding patches on my Windows 7 computer. One of them completely killed my wireless keyboard and mouse. Had to fish out some old wired keyboard/mouse combo just to get the thing to boot up. If I back out the patch set it disables the Windows 10 update, so it's toast until my turn in line comes up for Windows 10. Which probably also won't work based on the above. Awesome.

Such a horrendous roll out, and this is where Microsoft was supposed to "get it right." On the laptop that is running Windows 10 - it's good software, but that doesn't really matter if a lot of people are having bad experiences and scaring other from trying to update.

With the exception of the Start Menu bug and monitor sleep bug, my install was very smooth.

My installation of Windows 10 was completely smooth. I built my own computer a couple years ago and that has made a big difference. The clean installation of Windows without all the crapware from Dell or others is pretty significant. My previous Dell could never even update to Windows Service Pack 2, no matter how many times I tried to fix it. With my clean installation of Windows, all updates happen perfectly.

Install went smoothly on three machines. My Surface Pro 3, my fiances Dell laptop, and my custom desktop.

People are gonna freak when they have to go buy their new $600 phone especially those that were due an upgrade but did not cash in because they were never told.

Last edited:
People are gonna freak when they have to go buy their new $600 phone especially those that were due an upgrade but did not cash in because they were never told.

Bill should be the same if they spread the cost.

Ugh more issues with my Moto X. Can't say I recommend it anymore. Screen black, won't work, need to do a factory reset. Very frustrating for a < year old phone.

My Moto X is also giving me problems. Won't find or connect to SOME wifis. Seems to connect to the one at the Verizon store - but the "tech" wasn't very helpful. just wanted to sell me an "early upgrade" because my phone is out of warranty - but my contract isn't up. That is rather annoying of Verizon. Sell a product that doesn't last as long as the payments. And it isn't because of abuse of damage. It just is flaking out.

Had to return my LG G4 and switch to the Galaxy S6. The G4 was a POS in my experience - very laggy and terrible battery life.

S6 is supposed to have the worst battery. Get a moto droid turbo or wait for the moto x style. great battery life.

Ok, so I'm still rocking the Galaxy S3- awesome phone by the way- and I took off the screen protector last night that's been on there all these years and now I'm finding it hard to replace it because the screen just looks and feels so damn nice without it!

It's a Gorilla Glass 2 screen as I'm told so is it really necessary to have a screen protector?

Or is it just an unnecessary option like buying rental car insurance when you already have full coverage on your own car?:confused:

Back