• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Weekly cell phone thread: NEW iPhone DISCUSSION GOES HERE

Probably a dumb question, but with these monthly payment plans on AT&T, if I upgrade in 12 months, will I have to continue paying the $30 or so a month + whatever the monthly cost of the new phone will be?

Depending on your plan there is a time around month 12 or 18 when trading in your old phone pays off the rest of your payments for that phone and then you can start the a new plan on the new phone.

FWIW you probably get less money for the old phone this way.

Pre-ordered the Pixel XL a few days ago, will switch to Fi when it arrives. Looks like a solid phone, even if a bit over priced. I'll save a ton on the monthly cell phone bill.

Pre-ordered the Pixel XL a few days ago, will switch to Fi when it arrives. Looks like a solid phone, even if a bit over priced. I'll save a ton on the monthly cell phone bill.

I want the Pixel XL. Debating my options... What network(s) does Fi use?

I'm on T-Mobile now, and have thought about switching over to Verizon and just buying the Pixel through them

I thought pretty hard about trying the pixel out, but at that price w/ no waterproofing, gonna pass.

I want the Pixel XL. Debating my options... What network(s) does Fi use?

I'm on T-Mobile now, and have thought about switching over to Verizon and just buying the Pixel through them
Don't. Verizon controls updates of phones purchased from them. Buy from Google and use a Verizon sim.

Fi is T-Mobile, Sprint, and US Cellular.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Don't know why Google couldn't drive control. Apple does it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Google is letting Verizon ruin its new Pixel phones

Don't know why Google is allowing it, but they are. Unless you're on a business account and the company only will pay for the phones available through Verizon, there is no need to buy from Verizon.

Really sucks. My wife and I split a Verizon account - I'm an iPhone user and she has a new Galaxy S7. Recently traveled to Denmark and I picked up (identical) temporary SIM cards for both phones. iPhone install - put in chip, start phone, agree to download carrier settings, 100% working. But the S7... Fucking hell. It boots and you can see it recognize the new network, then suspiciously it disappears and warning says there's a non-Verizon SIM card. Disables all cell functionality. Turns out there's a program running in the background at all times you have to manually kill. And you can't uninstall it. And it starts at every boot. And it restarts itself when certain Verizon apps are launched. Even after killing it and manually enabling the new cell service there were about 10 fields to update buried in all kinds of config menus. And every reboot cleared them.

Absolutely infuriating that an unlocked phone can have that crap in it. We even verified it was good to go with Verizon before leaving the US.

Now VZW says Pixels will get instant updates, just like Google devices.

giphy.gif

Back