• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Weekly cell phone thread: NEW iPhone DISCUSSION GOES HERE

I disagree, but I more or less expected the Android crowd to immediately jump on with the "fanboy" stuff. Par for the course.

Of course you're going to disagree ;) It's par for the course for Apple fans to shit all over android for having so much power hungry memory as well.

I disagree, but I more or less expected the Android crowd to immediately jump on with the "fanboy" stuff. Par for the course.

Par for the course, really?

The RAM has very little to do w/ power consumption of a smart phone (it's next to last on the power consumption charts last time I checked), and especially the amount of it. RAM pulls the same power constant regardless of size/how much memory is actually being used iirc. If you're going to attack Android phones over shorter battery life then you should be attacking the CPU/Display/4G networks.

Try thinking critically for once. This was an obvious spin article. There is no reason they couldn't have upped it to 1 gig of RAM, other than that they knew their zombie consumers probably wouldn't care since they're all too invested in the "ecosystem" in the first place.

Of course you're going to disagree ;) It's par for the course for Apple fans to shit all over android for having so much power hungry memory as well.

I'm not an Apple "fan." I'm not an Android "fan." I'm a technology fan. I've used and liked both.

Last edited:
Par for the course, really?

The RAM has very little to do w/ power consumption of a smart phone (it's next to last on the power consumption charts last time I checked), and especially the amount of it. RAM pulls the same power constant regardless of size/how much memory is actually being used iirc. If you're going to attack Android phones over shorter battery life then you should be attacking the CPU/Display/4G networks.

Try thinking critically for once. This was an obvious spin article. There is no reason they couldn't have upped it to 1 gig of RAM, other than that they knew their zombie consumers probably wouldn't care since they're all too invested in the "ecosystem" in the first place.

That's a little over the top. I'm not going to get in a mud slinging match with anyone. Maybe my comments were over the line, and if they were, I apologize. I don't want to get into some flame war over Apple vs Google, because I think it's a stupid argument, and I just hate the automatic "you're a fanboy" response.

I'm not an Apple "fan." I'm not an Android "fan." I'm a technology fan. I've used and liked both.

I wasn't accusing you of either. I'm just saying that there are go-to responses for each of the camps.

I wasn't accusing you of either. I'm just saying that there are go-to responses for each of the camps.

My mistake, then. You're right though, the name calling between the Android and iOS camps is almost as bad as politics.

That's a little over the top. I'm not going to get in a mud slinging match with anyone. Maybe my comments were over the line, and if they were, I apologize. I don't want to get into some flame war over Apple vs Google, because I think it's a stupid argument, and I just hate the automatic "you're a fanboy" response.

Hah yeah it probably was. I started thinking about 30 mins after I posted that and said to myself "you know, that probably came off a lot like a kanjo post". Nevar a good thing.

I just thought that was about a clear a case as you can get for a total fanboi article. I usually give Apple props on stuff they do right.

Droid Razr just unveiled today. Looks pretty cool, but seems like a little bit of a "more of the same" kind of phone. I guess they're trying to jump on the success of the Razr brand.

Also unveiled some iPod nano clone called the actv. No idea why companies still want in on the pmp market. I'm not even sure apple still wants anything to do with them at this point.

Droid Razr just unveiled today. Looks pretty cool, but seems like a little bit of a "more of the same" kind of phone. I guess they're trying to jump on the success of the Razr brand.

Definitely looks like a great phone that isn't worth buying. No NFC (so no Google Wallet), no removable battery (might not be a big deal to some folks), 1.2 ghz processor (1.5 is right around the corner), no ICS (and Motorola takes a while to update the OS, at least they typically take a while, but they're better than HTC and the Tbolt Gbread update), has physical buttons on the front (which will be outdated once ICS is out) and has a locked bootloader (which might not be a big deal to most folks).

The phone to watch out for is the Galaxy Nexus which debuts tonight at 10pm EST, along with ICS.

Noob question: What's the usual turnaround time between unveiling a phone and having it available for purchase?

Noob question: What's the usual turnaround time between unveiling a phone and having it available for purchase?

Depends- in the case of the RAZR, it'll be about 3 weeks (rumor is Nov 10). The Bionic though had been rumored (not unveiled) for about 8 months. But 3-5 weeks is a safe bet after it's been officially announced. If you read tech blogs, you can often find out about them a good 3-6 months ahead of time, which is helpful in thinking about upgrades, etc.

Windows Phone

Anyone have one? If so, how do you like 7.5 (mango)? If you had to get another phone would you stick with WP or switch to an android or iphone?

I only ask because I'm in the market for a new phone and android and iOS seem like the exact same style operating system. Actually, android seems like a cluttered, slightly drugged version of iOS that might or might not have more features because no one has ever found them all. That being said, iOS feels ok, but a bit dated. It looks exactly the same as it did 4 years ago.

On the other hand, I was able to play with a non-mango windows phone the other day and really liked it. I realize I sound like I'm being paid by Steve Ballmer, but it really did feel much more intuitive than either android or iOS. I'm curious if the good feeling lasts though.

So, anyone out there with a windows phone? If so, what do you like or dislike about it?

Also, I might be the only person on the planet looking forward to Nokia World next week. I'm excited to see what Nokia can do with WP.

I don't have one, but I have a friend who does and loves it. Not sure what they had previously to compare it to though.

I'd be extremely interested in a Windows phone, but I just haven't had a chance to play around with one yet.

I'd be extremely interested in a Windows phone, but I just haven't had a chance to play around with one yet.

After playing around with my mother-in-law's for a while, I really, really liked it. The only things I'm worried about are fewer apps available and that there must be something I'm missing. I'm not anti-Microsoft by any means, but most of their products don't just "work." You usually have to tweak and optimize them to fit you. This one, however, just felt like it worked.

Back