• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Weekly cell phone thread: NEW iPhone DISCUSSION GOES HERE

After playing around with my mother-in-law's for a while, I really, really liked it. The only things I'm worried about are fewer apps available and that there must be something I'm missing. I'm not anti-Microsoft by any means, but most of their products don't just "work." You usually have to tweak and optimize them to fit you. This one, however, just felt like it worked.

I've heard that they've done a great job with it. The app support thing is big. I know from using the Palm Pre 2 and HP Touchpad that lack of app support is a major pain in the ass, especially when coming from iOS or Android.

I had an older Windows phone (Samsung Omnia). That was before it was truly a mobile OS, so any criticisms would be unfair, but it sucked.

I think Android really is the way to go. If you're into tech, it has the most upside and can do the most for you; iOS is good if you want an easy to use phone with little depth, or if you want to be trendy; Windows Phone is going to have better Exchange support, less apps and a poor track record of making mobile OSs, but perhaps they've turned a corner.

I had an older Windows phone (Samsung Omnia). That was before it was truly a mobile OS, so any criticisms would be unfair, but it sucked.

I think Android really is the way to go. If you're into tech, it has the most upside and can do the most for you; iOS is good if you want an easy to use phone with little depth, or if you want to be trendy; Windows Phone is going to have better Exchange support, less apps and a poor track record of making mobile OSs, but perhaps they've turned a corner.

I'm interested to see what they do with it and Windows 8.

Are you sure it wasn't running Windows Mobile? Windows Phone is a completely different operating system that they released over the last year or so.

Are you sure it wasn't running Windows Mobile? Windows Phone is a completely different operating system that they released over the last year or so.

Yea, sorry, wrong language (I don't keep up with Microsoft's lingo), it was a Windows Mobile phone.

Yea, sorry, wrong language (I don't keep up with Microsoft's lingo), it was a Windows Mobile phone.

Not really your fault. Whoever came up with that in Microsoft's marketing department should be fired. It's bound to breed confusion and if people thought Windows Mobile sucked, then why not just go for a whole new name? It's not like the Xbox is called Windows box.

I dont have a Windows Phone personally but will be getting one of the Nokia ones when they come out. I love the OS, its refreshing and innovative, and along with the newest features the platform becomes much more appealing. As far as apps go, Microsoft has done a good job of getting the big name apps on the platform. The volume of apps may not be the same but the ones you are likely to want are all there and great looking apps. Plus with their Skype acquisition you should see great video calling/Skype integration soon.

I've been saying since WP7 came out that I think they will eventually move past Blackberry and become the third platform. I love the Metro interface, and I think if MS can get carriers to really market their phones (something that hasn't happened at all to this point) the platform will really take off. Plus, MS stepping up their game is only good for fans of Android and iOS...the more options available, the more innovation you'll see. I've read that MS wants to undercut the market with their Nokia phones as a cheaper alternative to top line Android and iOS devices, so we'll see what they come up with.

Also, any chance this could merge with the cell phone thread? It seems like a good idea to keep all that conversation in one place. Just a thought, feel free to ignore it if keeping this thread separate is a better idea.

I can't believe Nokia is still around, but I guess they are the primary supporters of the Windows phone OS?

I'll be interested to see their phones here in the coming weeks.

I hope Motorola is on top of their shit with pushing out ICS when it drops.

The only reason I started a new thread is that Windows Phones have so little market share right now that I was worried the one person on the boards who might have one wouldn't check this thread. :p

I can't believe Nokia is still around, but I guess they are the primary supporters of the Windows phone OS?

I'll be interested to see their phones here in the coming weeks.

Oh, and Nokia still has a pretty large market share in developing countries and decently large in Europe. The US has never been a very good market for Nokia.

Nokia practically owns the feature phone market in the rest of the world. The writing was on the wall, though, that they needed a way to try and get out in front of Android and iOS as those two start to eat up their smartphone share. I don't know if WP7 will be the answer, but I like their chances.

Got my iPhone 4s last night from work. Here's my entire hardware review:

1) Hey, my iPhone 4 just got noticeably faster and the camera is ridiculously good. Uhhhh, and that is all.

Here's My software review:

1) I already knew about iOS5 and iCloud. Good stuff, no surprises.

2) Oh right, there's Siri. Clever but whenever it does something cool you think of something you wish it could do. "Text my dad that I just got my car back from the shop." Perfect. "Tweet that I just got my car back from the shop." - "Sorry, I can't help you with Twitter." "What day is 27 days from today?" No problem. "Who won the world series last night?" Nope. "Directions to Manor Country Club." No problem.

Actually the best part is the switch to Verizon. Screw the whole 3g/4g/Edge/2g argument. AT&T is technically faster but in practice took forever to acquire signal, switch towers, load during low signal areas, etc. This thing flies on Verizon. Using it as a 3g WiFi hotspot for my computer has no problem streaming full screen ESPN highlights. Makes waiting another year for more fully baked 4g a lot easier.

In general though, solid upgrade, but all this phone does is set the table for the 5, which will get a more mature Siri, iCloud, 4g, larger screen, etc. Apple's going to spend a year lagging behind the best Android phones.

So RDToy is interested in upgrading her phone in December and she is thinking about getting the iPhone 4S since it is now available on Sprint.

Did I see correctly that even with the iPhone 4S on Sprint, I still would have to pay the $10 premium data fee each month, even though the iPhone 4S is not 4G?

Sprint's original excuse (and a lame one) was that you had to pay an extra 10 bucks for 4G devices, even though you couldn't connect with 4G in all places. Now they are adding the same charge to a device that cannot connect at 4G?

So RDToy is interested in upgrading her phone in December and she is thinking about getting the iPhone 4S since it is now available on Sprint.

Did I see correctly that even with the iPhone 4S on Sprint, I still would have to pay the $10 premium data fee each month, even though the iPhone 4S is not 4G?

Sprint's original excuse (and a lame one) was that you had to pay an extra 10 bucks for 4G devices, even though you couldn't connect with 4G in all places. Now they are adding the same charge to a device that cannot connect at 4G?

Hadn't heard that, but if true they're ripping her off. Call their BS.

Back