• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Weekly cell phone thread: NEW iPhone DISCUSSION GOES HERE

Using Google Music. Currently uploading about 1,500 songs. It's taken 15 hours so far and I'm almost to 1,000 completed.

I can't wait to never touch iTunes again.

I haven't tried Google Music yet. What differentiates it from iTunes?

I haven't tried Google Music yet. What differentiates it from iTunes?

A way for an android user to easily integrate their music into their day to day experience.

Basically, I'm excited to never having to deal with iTunes importing issues, with it's constant need to remind me that it needs updating, with it's laggy interface or with the pain in the ass it sometimes is when you redo your computer and don't want to redo/import your music library again.

Keep in mind, I don't buy my music from the iTunes store so that is the root of a lot of my issues.

A way for an android user to easily integrate their music into their day to day experience.

Basically, I'm excited to never having to deal with iTunes importing issues, with it's constant need to remind me that it needs updating, with it's laggy interface or with the pain in the ass it sometimes is when you redo your computer and don't want to redo/import your music library again.

Keep in mind, I don't buy my music from the iTunes store so that is the root of a lot of my issues.

If I move my music to Google music can I easily burn MP3 discs? My car stereo can play MP3 discs, which is nice, but my iTunes files are almost all in AAC, and anything you actually buy from iTunes is locked that way unless you burn it to a CD and then rip it back as an mp3.

I just want to be able to easily convert files to mp3 without ending up with a bunch of duplicate files and dealing with a bunch of files that iTunes won't allow me to convert to mp3.

Of course I haven't actually tried this in a while, so it may be easier now...

If I move my music to Google music can I easily burn MP3 discs? My car stereo can play MP3 discs, which is nice, but my iTunes files are almost all in AAC, and anything you actually buy from iTunes is locked that way unless you burn it to a CD and then rip it back as an mp3.

I just want to be able to easily convert files to mp3 without ending up with a bunch of duplicate files and dealing with a bunch of files that iTunes won't allow me to convert to mp3.

Of course I haven't actually tried this in a while, so it may be easier now...

I really have no idea yet. My library hasn't finished uploading. I'll let you know when I'm done.

I should say, I'm not sure that Google Music won't have the same issues I have with iTunes, but I'm interested in testing it out anyway.

Just placed my order for a Samsung Galaxy S2 to replace my aging HTC Hero. Looks like Cyanogenmod has a ROM out for it now, and they're working on a ICS ROM as well. Wife is still deciding whether to get the larger Samsung or do switch over to Apple now that Sprint has the 4S. Hoping the battery issues are close to being solved!

Just placed my order for a Samsung Galaxy S2 to replace my aging HTC Hero. Looks like Cyanogenmod has a ROM out for it now, and they're working on a ICS ROM as well. Wife is still deciding whether to get the larger Samsung or do switch over to Apple now that Sprint has the 4S. Hoping the battery issues are close to being solved!

Nice! I'm still waiting on my Bionic replacement. It's been a big chore. I'm never buying a phone through secondary sources again. If I get a new one, it's going to be on my own account.

Sadly, there really isn't that much development with the Bionic right now. I was spoiled with my Incredible.

Wouldn't want to give up Genius Mixes. Google's Instant Mix is still a poor substitute. Knowing Google it'll improve quickly though...

I see. I think I'm actually in a minority since I really don't mind iTunes at all (although I use it on a Mac and am well aware of the pain of using it on Windows). I stopped using torrents and such for music a few years ago, so since I buy most of my music straight from iTunes on my phone it works very well for me.

I'm still interested to hear how Google's music store works out, though. Keep us informed.

I see. I think I'm actually in a minority since I really don't mind iTunes at all (although I use it on a Mac and am well aware of the pain of using it on Windows). I stopped using torrents and such for music a few years ago, so since I buy most of my music straight from iTunes on my phone it works very well for me.

I'm still interested to hear how Google's music store works out, though. Keep us informed.

I like what I see so far, but I haven't done much as my library is STILL uploading.

So it's a VERY early rumor, I doubt the hideous design would ever get through- but Quad core 2.5 ghz!!!:eek:

HTC Zeta

I think we are about to the point of absurdity with some of this. Does a phone OS really need quad core? How long would the battery last on that phone...2...3 minutes?

I think we are about to the point of absurdity with some of this. Does a phone OS really need quad core? How long would the battery last on that phone...2...3 minutes?

Why wouldn't it need quad core? More cores = more tasks. Streaming music from Pandora over bluetooth to your car stereo, while tracking GPS directions and alerting you to turns ahead, while syncing/backing up your files, all while still allowing you to make a call to let your family know you're an hour away, without any lag. Makes sense to me. As the hardware improves, the demands we'll put on it with our use and applications will increase as well. Otherwise, we could be asking the same questions about desktops/laptops...does anyone REALLY need 8 processors and 12 GB of RAM? Hell, does anyone REALLY need a smart phone in the first place?

Just like desktops/laptops, chips get better with each iteration. In the case of mobile chips, they are getting faster and consuming less power as we go. And battery technology continues to develop as well.

Last edited:
Ugh. Have been sitting on an upgrade for almost a year. Was originally waiting for iPhone 5 (okay 4s) and Bionic to be released. Wasn't blown away with the reviews of either. Decided to wait for the Galaxy Nexus. Am now trying to decide whether to wait for the HTC Edge or another quad-core.

It will be the year 2030 and phones will be able to convert carbon dioxide into beer, and I'll still be hanging on to my 2008 Crapberry waiting for the whatever is around the corner....

Why wouldn't it need quad core? More cores = more tasks. Streaming music from Pandora over bluetooth to your car stereo, while tracking GPS directions and alerting you to turns ahead, while syncing/backing up your files, all while still allowing you to make a call to let your family know you're an hour away, without any lag. Makes sense to me. As the hardware improves, the demands we'll put on it with our use and applications will increase as well. Otherwise, we could be asking the same questions about desktops/laptops...does anyone REALLY need 8 processors and 12 GB of RAM? Hell, does anyone REALLY need a smart phone in the first place?

Just like desktops/laptops, chips get better with each iteration. In the case of mobile chips, they are getting faster and consuming less power as we go. And battery technology continues to develop as well.

I get that to a point...but all the things you mentioned my iPhone (and I'm sure the new Droids) can do now with no lag, and it's using the older A4 processor. Chip makers are going to continue pushing the latest and greatest, but I think it dilutes the importance of the spec. Same goes for the 8 processor 12 gb ram desktop: it sounds sexy, but the performance gains are marginal for most users. And as far as batteries go, that tech has not kept up with the hardware advances.

Don't get me wrong, advancement is important, and quad core was inevitable...but I'd be more impressed with optimized software/hardware combinations than just raw power.

I got a job where my contract says that they'll buy me a phone. I was pumped and researched phones for a while and decided on getting a windows phone (either the HTC Titan or the Nokia Lumia 800).

Turns out that by "buy me a phone" they meant "buy me an iPhone." Someone convince me that I should be excited about a 4s.

I got a job where my contract says that they'll buy me a phone. I was pumped and researched phones for a while and decided on getting a windows phone (either the HTC Titan or the Nokia Lumia 800).

Turns out that by "buy me a phone" they meant "buy me an iPhone." Someone convince me that I should be excited about a 4s.

What reason do you have not to be excited about a free iPhone?

Also, are you in Europe? The Lumia is not coming to the US.

Re: battery life. There was an article on Droid Life last week about battery research that might yield a battery that could last a week (or more). You throw that in with a quad-core, 2 gb ram phone and you'd be set.

The pace of phone technology is simply amazing. Phones are only "top on the market" for 2-3 months. I'm on the Droid X and still love it (finally rooting a month ago or so helped). Sometimes I do have lag with the amount of things I try to do at once, so moving to a quad core will be a nice upgrade, but I'll definitely wait for the right device (probably the next Nexus phone- the one after Galaxy, next year).

That battery would be fantastic. If my iPhone even lasted as long as my iPad I'd be thrilled.

What reason do you have not to be excited about a free iPhone?

Also, are you in Europe? The Lumia is not coming to the US.

Well, it went from me getting a free phone of my choice to getting a free iphone. So, I'd already incorporated the free aspect into my thinking. ;)

And yes, I live in Europe (see info below my name on the left).

Back