• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Weekly cell phone thread: NEW iPhone DISCUSSION GOES HERE

So how many people have actually switched to T-Mobile? How is the performance? I've had a few people warn me against switching but the savings and not having to been a contract are awfully enticing.

So how many people have actually switched to T-Mobile? How is the performance? I've had a few people warn me against switching but the savings and not having to been a contract are awfully enticing.

Having the exact same thoughts/concerns.

It depends on which network you are switching from. Verizon just has better coverage than everyone else and the same goes for AT&T, but not to the same extent. If you switch from one of those carriers to T-Mobile you are most likely going to be unhappy with your new coverage (depending on where you live, of course). I can say personally that T-Mobile has had better voice and data coverage than Sprint nearly everywhere I've been in North Carolina.

I just found, on accident, last night that in iOS7, in the Messages screen, if you swipe from right to left over a text message (or iMessage) that you've sent you can now see the exact time each text was sent/received instead of them all being grouped together with a single timestamp.

This find made my night. Not a huge deal but sometimes I like to know exactly when I sent/received something instead of just a general idea of when it was.

It sucks in Kansas and Missouri. I switched a few weeks ago from ATT because of the $$ savings and now I'm switching back. Their coverage map lies too. It had my house at 4G coverage and I only had 1-2 bars of Edge.

Assuming you have the same device, how big of a deal is it to switch between TM and VZN? I'm guessing not so easy due to CDMA vs. GSM (or is that outdated by now?).

So my weeklong experiment with T-Mobile was alright. But I didn't think I could manage the $30/month plan (not really for the 100 minutes, but for the no data roaming). So instead, I picked up a white Moto X at Best Buy last night after they dropped the price and re-upped with Verizon. Lost my unlimited data, but it was bound to happen one day anyway. Plus we're about to move to a family Share Everything plan, so I'll have some more data to use since my wife doesn't use much at all.

This phone is freaking awesome. So smooth and fast. Active Notifications are amazing. I'm loving it so far

Assuming you have the same device, how big of a deal is it to switch between TM and VZN? I'm guessing not so easy due to CDMA vs. GSM (or is that outdated by now?).

You can't use the same device on TMO and VZN's networks. CDMA v. GSM is still a very big deal.

So my weeklong experiment with T-Mobile was alright. But I didn't think I could manage the $30/month plan (not really for the 100 minutes, but for the no data roaming). So instead, I picked up a white Moto X at Best Buy last night after they dropped the price and re-upped with Verizon. Lost my unlimited data, but it was bound to happen one day anyway. Plus we're about to move to a family Share Everything plan, so I'll have some more data to use since my wife doesn't use much at all.

This phone is freaking awesome. So smooth and fast. Active Notifications are amazing. I'm loving it so far

MotoMaker looks like it might hit Verizon in early November. The Moto X is the leader in the clubhouse right now for the next Droid. If you don't mind tossing an update in a week or two about how you're liking the phone it'd be appreciated.

what is the standard vz month by month plan? 2gb high speed for $60?

probably exactly what I'm on now (with throttling) subtracting phone subsidy.

tumblr_lwofjj4Ci71qhrk98o1_500.gif

Yeah, when google chat was updated to hangout I got like 15 hangout/chat messages popup from last July.

Even newer than that, iOS got an update last night (Android likely to debut with Kit Kat) that allows voice calls to be placed through Hangouts on wifi or cellular data without using minutes on a plan (even works without a SIM card).

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

Anyone have experience with Ting? Looking to ditch Verizon ASAP with their bullshit plans to limit the internet as an ISP.

MotoMaker looks like it might hit Verizon in early November. The Moto X is the leader in the clubhouse right now for the next Droid. If you don't mind tossing an update in a week or two about how you're liking the phone it'd be appreciated.

A few weeks later, and I still fucking love this phone. Active Notifications are a game changer, especially when I'm sitting in class or in a meeting. Keep it face up, see the notification, tap it, see if it's important, swipe it away if it's not. It's freaking awesome.

Verizon got the camera update this week, so camera is WAY better. And even though I really prefer a third party camera app (Camera Zoom FX), I find myself using the three twist to open the camera way more than I thought I would. It's really easy to just twist it as you're pulling it out of your pocket, and it's ready as soon as you hold it up.

Battery life is so much better than my Galaxy Nexus was (I can get probably 4-5 hours of screen time for a full charge). Probably not on the level of an iOS device, but I'm really happy with it.

The speaker is also really great, if you leave the phone laying face down. I was planning on getting a bluetooth speaker for listening to music in the house, but honestly, if it's just me listening to music, the phone does great.

I'm probably going to pass off my white Moto X to my wife when her line is eligible for an upgrade next spring so I can get a customized Moto Maker version.

Edit: This probably falls into Active Notifications, but one of the real underrated features of this phone is the ability to tell when you've picked it up, flipped it right side up, or pulled it out of your pocket and it automatically shows the time and any Active Notifications. That part is something I never thought would be so useful

Last edited:
Verizon is pushing against the idea of "net neutrality," which is essentially the free and open internet as you know it. As an ISP, they are expressing interest in limiting what websites you can and cannot access. They want full control over wheat goes through their network, which I think is against the spirit of the internet.

Here's one article on the debate.

What does this mean?

Verizon is pushing against the idea of "net neutrality," which is essentially the free and open internet as you know it. As an ISP, they are expressing interest in limiting what websites you can and cannot access. They want full control over wheat goes through their network, which everybody thinks is against the spirit of the internet.

Here's one article on the debate.

FIFY.

Fuck Verizon.

Back