• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Weekly cell phone thread: NEW iPhone DISCUSSION GOES HERE

GS6 Edge looks nice. I've stayed with my GS3 since it has the card slot and replaceable battery.

Just got my second replacement iPhone 5 last week after the battery started swelling in my first replacement. Thank goodness for the lifetime warranty for the battery - pretty sure I'm going to have this phone forever

i just accidentally deleted an entire conversation of texts on my iphone5 instead of just a couple of recent texts. how can i go back and restore them?

So I've been daily driving an LG G4 for a bit now - first time I've used a skinned Android phone as my daily. Really like it, actually. A few quibbles here and there with the UI, but the phone itself is terrific - super fast, brilliant screen and the camera is ridiculous. And the leather back is seeeexxxxxy. I was thinking I might not have it long, but probably will keep it for some time.

My Nexus 6P shipped today, with an arrival date of next Wednesday. I've enjoyed my last two Samsung phones but am really looking forward to the stock Marshmallow experience and trying out Huawei as a manufacturer. Excited to be able to use Google Wallet/Pay again, the fingerprint sensor, and the new USB type (type C).

If anyone is interested in getting one, you can order directly through Huawei as their stock is shipping now, while the Google Store still has a two week delay.

Last edited:
My Nexus 6P shipped today, with an arrival date of next Wednesday. I've enjoyed my last two Samsung phones but am really looking forward to the stock Marshmallow experience and trying out Huawei as a manufacturer. Excited to be able to use Google Wallet/Pay again, the fingerprint sensor, and the new USB type (type C).

If anyone is interested in getting one, you can order directly through Huawei as their stock is shipping now, while the Google Store still has a two week delay.

Let me know what you think, that's on the short list of phones I'm looking at for my next upgrade.

I'm sure it's been discussed but any of you guys have thought on MVNOs? We are due an upgrade with Verizon and having a hard time stomaching either the huge upfront cost or the monthly increase in our bill to get new phones. If we buy outright we could make up the difference by using an MVNO.
Best ones for Verizon seem to be DefenseMobile, Net10, PagePlus, Speedtalk, and StraightTalk. Saving up to $50 a month between me and my wife would be totally worth it if the service is similar.

I use Ting which runs on Sprint or T-mobile (you have to choose one or the other). Before that I used Page Plus which runs on Verizon. I was happy with both. You can save a ton of money with MVNO's, the exception typically being heavy data users.

So I've had the Nexus 6P for a few weeks now and I'm a huge fan. It's probably my favorite phone that I've ever had (though the original flip-phone Razr was pretty sweet at the time).

Thoughts:
- A Nexus phone with a great camera...finally
- Good reception everywhere for me. A nice improvement over my Note 3, which was known to have awful reception for a lot of people.
- Android 6 is smooth and very good. It's very unintrusive yet it is attentive to your habits & desires
- Integration of Google Now into more of the phone so searches & info are more easily accessible & helpful
- The fingerprint sensor is very well designed and utilized. Being on the back makes it very natural to unlock the phone or provide a security check for Android Pay. I didn't think I'd use the fingerprint sensor that much but now I would seriously buy this phone again just because of the feature. I've used many other people's phones with fingerprint systems and none come even close to this. It is ridiculously good and convenient.
- Doze works well to save battery life and limit unnecessary notifications when the phone is asleep. Never had a problem lasting 1.5 to 2 days with moderate use
- The USB type C plugs are nice. Quick charging and easy to plug in the phone, even in pitch black.
- You'll have to buy some new accessories since the phone uses Type-C plugs instead of the micro USB plugs
- Two front speakers are very good for phone speakers but most people are likely either going to use headphones or stream to a dedicated speaker system
- The metal build feels pretty nice. Very solid.
- Screen is very bright and responsive. The screens come from the same manufacturer as Samsung's screens and I think it is the same screen as the newest Samsung phones.
- $500 price tag but it's off-contract, universal to any US carrier, and it is much cheaper than other competing brands off-contract (Samsung & Apple are both $650-$700+)
- It is a large phone (5.7") so that will turn some people off. But coming from a Note 3, I like bigger screens
- No expandable storage or removable battery but the battery seems very good and there is a 128 GB option.

I was slightly hesitant to trust Huawei but they delivered a great product. Highly recommend that people looking for a new Android phone explore this as one of the options.

Last edited:
I've been alternating between droid and iphone the past few years. Droid, Iphone 4, GS4. Bought the 6S+ today and love it so far. It's quite big which is taking some time to get use to as well as trying to relearn IOS.

is moving to Sprint to do the "cut your bill in half" promo worth it? looks like you can lock in your rate until 2018 if you do it now.

I've read Sprint has done a lot to upgrade their network. But I'm hesitant to leave Big Red's reliable and solid service.

I just left for TM after vzn bumped my grandfathered plan by $20. My roommate loves TM. Apparently it's great internationally.

I just left for TM after vzn bumped my grandfathered plan by $20. My roommate loves TM. Apparently it's great internationally.
general-palpatine-in-star-wars.jpg

Good

Depends where you mean by internationally - but in general it's very good in western Europe (sort of the premium carrier like VZN is seen as in the US).

Back