• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Weekly Law School Thread: Charleston

Idk about Duke, but almost every law student at any school that I've talked to about it says that their career services blows. I think they aren't used to actually having to work a little to help get job leads.

This is true in my experience. It was also my experience that the Wake career services office actually did blow. For example, offering to do mail merges and send out federal clerkship applications for everyone, then mailing them before the day they were first allowed to be postmarked. We had a few people get letters back from different judges saying their application wasn't going to be considered because it was sent early.

Fail. Don't even get me started on Wake career services. I hate those bitches. My grades are fine and I've had employment both summers of law school, but I'm still worried about finding a real job after this coming year.

Get a business job. That will be far more valuable to a future legal career than anything else you could be doing for the next few years, including starting law school there. Few lawyers, especially those coming out of top law schools, have the basic financial competency and business sense that clients want from their legal counsel. And working in the real world will help you figure out what you want to do with your legal career.

Greek, just curious but if you wanted to always be a lawyer, why did you join the B-School?

Not a criticism at all as I'm just interested as I similarly always thought I wanted to be a lawyer, and thus chose a more "pre-law" type track at Wake. Turns out I didn't go to law school but at the time of declaring my major, never really even considered Calloway.

Well, I originally thought I would do pre-law or political science, but I've always been the kind of guy that loves finance/business/economics as well (been messing in my own stock fund since I was 17). I also wanted a backup plan in case I didn't go to law school because nothing is a sure thing. If I had majored in something like pre-law or political science etc, I would've been in real trouble and probably forced to go to law school wherever at this moment. Because I have a somewhat useful degree, I'm not as hard pressed to go to just anywhere.

I, of course, discussed what I heard and was told by current CSOL students with my mother this evening and she basically ignored it. She's likely in denial. This is when having single parents sucks. Literally the only reason kids are there is because they have a degree in history/polisci/english/psychology and can't do anything with it.

Well, I originally thought I would do pre-law or political science, but I've always been the kind of guy that loves finance/business/economics as well (been messing in my own stock fund since I was 17). I also wanted a backup plan in case I didn't go to law school because nothing is a sure thing. If I had majored in something like pre-law or political science etc, I would've been in real trouble and probably forced to go to law school wherever at this moment. Because I have a somewhat useful degree, I'm not as hard pressed to go to just anywhere.

I, of course, discussed what I heard and was told by current CSOL students with my mother this evening and she basically ignored it. She's likely in denial. This is when having single parents sucks. Literally the only reason kids are there is because they have a degree in history/polisci/english/psychology and can't do anything with it.

For what it's worth, I have a poly sci degree same year as you and after realizing I wasn't going to law school, started looking at business analyst and consulting jobs. Eventually got a consulting gig but there were numerous times that not having a business degree hurt me in the application/interview/etc. process.

I honestly am beginning to believe there is some serious psychological problem with my family. After telling my mother last night I was likely not to go to Charleston Law, she has spent all day asking me if I have gotten my textbooks yet for class coming up. She also told me my grandfather is thrilled I'll be in Charleston for the next three years at least. This is unbelievable.

No need to keep ripping on all other non-business majors. Shockingly some of us have jobs... I know I can't believe it either since my degree is so worthless

This is true in my experience. It was also my experience that the Wake career services office actually did blow. For example, offering to do mail merges and send out federal clerkship applications for everyone, then mailing them before the day they were first allowed to be postmarked. We had a few people get letters back from different judges saying their application wasn't going to be considered because it was sent early.

I actually had a really positive experience with our career services.

Is it worth losing my family over this? Basically, I was told if I don't go, I need to get out of the house and don't let the door hit me on the way out.

Is it worth losing my family over this? Basically, I was told if I don't go, I need to get out of the house and don't let the door hit me on the way out.

Withdraw as much money as you can through hook or crook and hit the road. Stay with a friend.

Go for a couple of months, drink heavily, drop out, tell your fam it isn't the right place for you.

This has devolved into a pretty sad thread. I feel terribly bad for you, Greek, that you have such a hard decision: whether or not to go to law school for free.

I'd wager 50% at least of the kids you'd be in class with are going to graduate with substantial debt. Not that its the smart thing to do, but it is reality at law schools right now. Feel lucky that you have the opportunity you have before you and make a decision that works for you, not one that people on the internet help you make.

Sheesh.

This has devolved into a pretty sad thread. I feel terribly bad for you, Greek, that you have such a hard decision: whether or not to go to law school for free.

I'd wager 50% at least of the kids you'd be in class with are going to graduate with substantial debt. Not that its the smart thing to do, but it is reality at law schools right now. Feel lucky that you have the opportunity you have before you and make a decision that works for you, not one that people on the internet help you make.

Sheesh.

You act like these are mutually exclusive.

You can always start at Charleston and transfer up if you do well. Might be your best bet at this point.

You act like these are mutually exclusive.

They may not be mutually exclusive, but one is better than the other. Even if the ultimate decision is the same for both paths, the one where you anguish through your decision online is the lesser of the two.

Count your blessings.

Just tell them you want to improve your LSAT and go to a better school. If you want to go now bc of your parents, buckets is right. You shouldn't bank on Top 10% or Top 25%, but I'm assuming a Wake grad can (should?) achieve this at a T3.

Clearly you should fake your enrollment, and take the tuition money and invest it.

And of course, invest it = hookers and blow.

Just tell them you want to improve your LSAT and go to a better school. If you want to go now bc of your parents, buckets is right. You shouldn't bank on Top 10% or Top 25%, but I'm assuming a Wake grad can (should?) achieve this at a T3.

Transferring up as the backup is banking in top 10%.

Back