• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Welcome Dave Clawson - 430PM Presser (Clawson Wins Presser, OGB Gets E-Boners)

What does Ball State's team look like for next season? He could be next coming of Nick Saban but if he doesn't have a winning season next year he ain't getting a better job than Wake. If he thinks he can win the MAC he will definitely be on people's radars again... but the list of schools won't have many where he's a leading candidate at a better job than Wake.... but there will be a couple, with heavy competition.

Like I said earlier..the only jobs he could really expect to be considered for are lower tier Big Ten or mid / lower tier ACC. Kevin Wilson at Indiana has things headed the right direction. Tim Beckman and Darrell Hazel at Illinois and Purdue, respectively, are likely safe from the hot seat for a couple of years.

I'd wager that it's slightly more nefarious than vague platitudes, but maybe that's too cynical.

If we whiff on this hire, which becomes likelier by the hour, I'd say we might have an institutional problem greater than Wellman on our hands.

Might have to shift the focus from #WellmanOut to a campaign asking whether success in athletics matters to Wake.

It definitely is greater than Wellman, but Wellman is the face of Wake athletic administration and a moron in his own right so he is rightly the lightning rod for all criticism.

I'd wager that it's slightly more nefarious than vague platitudes, but maybe that's too cynical.

I think that's probably right, but then I always wonder what's the source? Where's the "our values" edict coming from? I remember hearing back around 06-08 that the Admissions office was less than pleased with some of the scholarship athlete applications, but we haven't heard that in years. And if anything, the :nosat: policy should make them more amenable to scholarship athlete applications.

My cynical view is that our BoT is a bunch of old dudes and old hens who attended the University back in the 1970's and have a really perverse view of what Wake Forest is and should be.

This data has been referenced here before, but it's worth reviewing as Wake gets ready to hire a new coach. Here is a link to the USA Today coaches' salaries database and an excerpt from the database showing the "total pay" (without bonuses) of the top ten coaches and the pay of the ACC and MAC coaches (no data for BC and Pitt). The only amount that seems too low is that of ND's Brian Kelly--I can't believe that the ND coach ranks number 70 in pay among college coaches. In his case, I suspect that USA Today did not have access to all the terms of his contract.

Notre Dame paid a MASSIVE buyout to Charlie Weis when Weis was fired and Kelly was brought it (Weis was actually paid more by ND in 2010 and 2011 than Kelly was and Weis will continue to be paid by ND through 2015). Kelly's contact is therefore for a much lower salary with many more bonuses built into it and more money coming from outside the athletic department.

Clawson versus Lembo is not the no-brainer this board is making it out to be.

Wake met with Clawson yesterday afternoon. Lembo might be interviewing with UConn. Clawson was offered by Temple last year and interviewed with Wisconsin, and now Boise State is calling.

Expecting this to be a done deal by 9am this morning or calling Clawson a "whiff" is off base.

If Lembo is the better candidate and he is interviewing with UConn then Wellman fucked up. Is UConn even in a conference anymore? Now it could be that Clawson might be a better hire than we are giving him credit for. I think either would be an upgrade over post-2008 Grobe, but I don't have enough confidence in Wellman to think he will get this right, except maybe by accident.

Last edited:
Like I said earlier..the only jobs he could really expect to be considered for are lower tier Big Ten or mid / lower tier ACC. Kevin Wilson at Indiana has things headed the right direction. Tim Beckman and Darrell Hazel at Illinois and Purdue, respectively, are likely safe from the hot seat for a couple of years.

If Hazel has another year like last year he will be gone - Purdue doesn't have a ton of football tradition, but their 11 losses this year were the worst in school history and if there isn't a two or three win improvement next season Hazel could be in for a quick exit.

The coaches and Ath Dept want more leniency on academics but its a give and take with the administration/faculty. It is an ongoing negotiation beyond just this coaching search.

[Redacted] search was too fast, this search is too slow. Got it.

It's easy for a fan to say Wellman is screwing up if he allows Lembo to interview somewhere else instead of giving into every demand and paying him an extremely high salary that could negatively affect our next coaching search.

Wellman hired [Redacted] - he also hired Grobe and Prosser. Truth is the Wellman haters will put as negative a view as possible on it until the minute the hire is announced, with far less information about the candidates than Wellman and the Athletic Department have.

There are a lot of reasons why Clawson could be better for Wake than Lembo. Who knows what's been going on in these discussions.

There are a lot of reasons why Clawson could be better for Wake than Lembo.

Could you help me with this? I'm trying to make myself OK with Clawson but I can't find much.

Jimbo Fisher just received a huge raise. Now making $4.1 million a season.

21 Florida State ACC Jimbo Fisher $2,750,000
27 North Carolina State ACC Dave Doeren $2,555,000
28 Clemson ACC Dabo Swinney $2,550,024
29 Virginia Tech ACC Frank Beamer $2,541,616
30 Georgia Tech ACC Paul Johnson $2,515,500
39 Wake Forest ACC Jim Grobe $2,251,635
42 Virginia ACC Mike London $2,189,703
46 Miami ACC Al Golden $2,148,107
48 Maryland ACC Randy Edsall $2,025,440
57 Duke ACC David Cutcliffe $1,792,285
58 North Carolina ACC Larry Fedora $1,730,000
70 Notre Dame Ind. Brian Kelly $1,088,179

It's easy for a fan to say Wellman is screwing up if he allows Lembo to interview somewhere else instead of giving into every demand and paying him an extremely high salary that could negatively affect our next coaching search.

Wellman hired [Redacted] - he also hired Grobe and Prosser. Truth is the Wellman haters will put as negative a view as possible on it until the minute the hire is announced, with far less information about the candidates than Wellman and the Athletic Department have.

There are a lot of reasons why Clawson could be better for Wake than Lembo. Who knows what's been going on in these discussions.

The only reason people complain that Wellman should have taken more time is because he stopped with [Redacted]. You want to lock up a good candidate asap. And yes, Wellman hired Prosser and Grobe, but since then he hired/extended/fired Dino, let Grobe coast way too long with a horrendous coordinator, and then he hired Buzz. Forgive us for being slightly concerned about Wellman's handling of this.

The only reason people complain that Wellman should have taken more time is because he stopped with [Redacted]. You want to lock up a good candidate asap. And yes, Wellman hired Prosser and Grobe, but since then he hired/extended/fired Dino, let Grobe coast way too long with a horrendous coordinator, and then he hired Buzz. Forgive us for being slightly concerned about Wellman's handling of this.

exactly. nobody gives me leeway because of what i did 15 years ago, why should wellman get that privilege?

Wellman deserves no benefit of the doubt. He made an obviously stupid hire, only reasonable to assume he'll screw it up again.

What does Ball State's team look like for next season? He could be next coming of Nick Saban but if he doesn't have a winning season next year he ain't getting a better job than Wake. If he thinks he can win the MAC he will definitely be on people's radars again... but the list of schools won't have many where he's a leading candidate at a better job than Wake.... but there will be a couple, with heavy competition.

We only lose a dozen or so seniors, only three or four of which saw significant minutes. QB Keith Wenning will make it to the NFL and WR Jamill Smith is a fantastic special teamer and speedy wide out. We also lose a couple of guys on defense, like defensive end and Ohio State transfer Jonathan Newsome but on the whole, the roster remains pretty much in tact. Wenning gets replaced with Jack Milas (freshman QB, 45th ranked pocket passer of his class) so as he goes, so goes the offense.

for all the shitting on UCONN and the AAC, if I'm a young, up-and-coming coach it really isn't that much worse of a situation than Wake.

UCONN actually has some talent coming back next year, has an easier conference schedule and went to a BCS bowl more recently than Wake.

If the goal is to get a top-tier job, winning 35 games in 4 years will be a hell of a lot easier at UCONN than Wake.

A couple of opinion tweets I saw this morning...

Ian Kenyon ‏@IanKenyonNFL
BG head coach Dave Clawson is a candidate for the Wake Forest job, if that's the best offer, I'd hope he comes back to BG for one year year

Joe Person ‏@josephperson
Not sure who is on Wake Forest's list but would make sense to consider #Panthers asst coach and former Demon Deacon Ricky Proehl.

Numbers/doofus officially co-head coach candidates per exclusive text from Numbers moments ago.

#scoop

Back