• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Welcome Dave Clawson - 430PM Presser (Clawson Wins Presser, OGB Gets E-Boners)

Nick Kostos ‏@TheKostos 2m
@IanKenyonNFL Dave Clawson was the Fordham head coach when I was there. Tremendous coach and a great dude. Glad for his success.

Bleacher Report guy.

I'm curious about that too.

I think we'd see a lot of responses full of false choices like "I'd like to win but I'd rather just be competitive if it didn't mean sacrificing our values."

possibly. my dad is mid 60's and he wants to win. he also would agree with the "pro humanitate" moto. he would agree with several of the above posts saying taking kids without the greatest academic resume that want to succeed academically and can succeed with the right help is far closer to the "wake forest way" than ignoring those very kids that could benefit most from a wake forest education (think josh howard). accept the kids that are motivated to work and give them the support to be successful. those kids go back to their communities and live the "wake forest way." i suspect they also give back more meaningfully than someone that found the coursework less challenging and put in less effort.

giving up before you even try is for losers. living the LOWF dream and claiming some academic and moral superiority to avoid accountability for results earned through performance (i am looking at you ron and others) is not the "wake forest way" as it once was though it sure looks like it is now...

Last edited:
I'm a huge Ricky Proehl fan, but I wouldn't think he is ready for Wake role yet...unless as a position coach or OC. He has pretty sweet gig with Panthers though.

Jeff Jacobs ‏@jacobscourant 55s
Saw report where Clawson not in play at UConn. If true, he's either in at Wake or said no to UConn. UConn definitely was interested. Fact.

Hartford Courant sports columnist

for all the shitting on UCONN and the AAC, if I'm a young, up-and-coming coach it really isn't that much worse of a situation than Wake.

UCONN actually has some talent coming back next year, has an easier conference schedule and went to a BCS bowl more recently than Wake.

If the goal is to get a top-tier job, winning 35 games in 4 years will be a hell of a lot easier at UCONN than Wake.

Reminds me of the saying "The good news is they are bringing a lot of people back, but the bad news is they are bringing a lot of people back." UCONN sucks ass. Sure they won 3 games in a row after getting curbstomped their first nine, but who cares it included wins over Memphis and Temple. Wake is going to have jackshit next year for talent but I still highly doubt that UCONN will be that much more talented. The AAC is a high school league. UCONN was paying Paul Pasqualoni something like $1.6 million which isn't awful, but not more enticing than what Wake would pay someone quality. Also it is cold and Connecticut is a stupid state. Wake > UCONN

Nice tidbit:

Ian Kenyon ‏@IanKenyonNFL 20m
One thing that isn't talked about with Dave Clawson that should be... he somehow lured a 4-star RB (Fred Coppet) from FL to Bowling Green

Reminds me of the saying "The good news is they are bringing a lot of people back, but the bad news is they are bringing a lot of people back." UCONN sucks ass. Sure they won 3 games in a row after getting curbstomped their first nine, but who cares it included wins over Memphis and Temple. Wake is going to have jackshit next year for talent but I still highly doubt that UCONN will be that much more talented. The AAC is a high school league. UCONN was paying Paul Pasqualoni something like $1.6 million which isn't awful, but not more enticing than what Wake would pay someone quality. Also it is cold and Connecticut is a stupid state. Wake > UCONN

Excellent summary

Dakota Crawford ‏@DakotaCrawford_ 1m
Just spoke w/ a #WakeForest rep, said not to expect any announcement of head football coaching hire today ... "No timeline at this point."

Sports editor @bsudailynews

Just spoke w/ a #WakeForest rep, said not to expect any announcement of head football coaching hire today ... "No timeline at this point."

Yuck

george-michael-snoopy-walk.gif

OK IT IS OFFICIALLY TIME TO PANIC

Fuck.

We are by far the best opening available right now so we can take our time. Ordinarily we would need to push but as it stands now we don't.

FootballScoop Staff ‏@footballscoop 58s
From speaking w coaches yesterday I got sense it won’t be Lembo RT @AndrewTuttle: @footballscoop any intel on Clawson vs Lembo at Wake ?

Not to be an asshole, but the Daily News has been wrong on stuff before. Like, significant stuff. It's a student run paper, and though good, they miss things.

Back