• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Welcome Dave Clawson - 430PM Presser (Clawson Wins Presser, OGB Gets E-Boners)

yes, and you have missed my point. A regular student pays X amount to attend any school. It costs the school far, far less than that for services provided.

I'm pretty sure it's the opposite, actually... actual operating cost per student is usually higher than tuition, and it's lowered through endowment funds

What was Grobe's initial contract?

IIRC Caldwell had been making around $900k and Grobe's initial contract was around $1.2M.

Nah..that is incremental versus the contract signed in 2011, not the contract in place the last time we hired a revenue sport coach. But, now that I've looked into it a bit more, looks like it's actually about $11M.

2005: $7M / school
2011: $13M / school
2012: $18.5M / school

^ the $18.5M number was the initial estimate when the contract was signed but according to several articles that have been posted on this site the actual amounts have been a little over $20M.

I don't like Wellman at all, but do I believe for one second that there was a formal offer extended to pay him one million when that's the bottom end of a power six conference in the country? I really don't. There may have been initial talks with no final offer and the intimation from Wake was that the price would be one million (perhaps as a first offer with considerable room to move up) but I honestly don't believe even Wellman would be so incompetent as to extend a one million dollar offer as the first offer, particularly if there was already an idea of where both parties stood (which I think is the case with almost every single negotiation between teams and coaches in the 21st century).

ETA: At this point, with so few people actually in the know as far as what happened between Wake and Lembo in closed talks, it's very easy for both sides to manipulate the story to suit themselves.

Only thing I can think of is the "Wake won't pay a buyout" thing. So maybe the offer was around $1 million after the buyout. $400,000 buyout, if it wasn't an actual offer I could see $1.4 million as a viable starting point.

If Lembo wants the buyout plus $2 million, I could see the sides parting ways for a bit to see about Clawson, UConn, etc.

I don't like Wellman at all, but do I believe for one second that there was a formal offer extended to pay him one million when that's the bottom end of a power six conference in the country? I really don't. There may have been initial talks with no final offer and the intimation from Wake was that the price would be one million (perhaps as a first offer with considerable room to move up) but I honestly don't believe even Wellman would be so incompetent as to extend a one million dollar offer as the first offer, particularly if there was already an idea of where both parties stood (which I think is the case with almost every single negotiation between teams and coaches in the 21st century).

ETA: At this point, with so few people actually in the know as far as what happened between Wake and Lembo in closed talks, it's very easy for both sides to manipulate the story to suit themselves.

Okay, I can buy your explanation.

But how does it account for the events that have transpired since the mutual interest was confirmed? One party has to be insanely incompetent or delusional, right?

Only thing I can think of is the "Wake won't pay a buyout" thing. So maybe the offer was around $1 million after the buyout. $400,000 buyout, if it wasn't an actual offer I could see $1.4 million as a viable starting point.

If Lembo wants the buyout plus $2 million, I could see the sides parting ways for a bit to see about Clawson, UConn, etc.

Also an interesting possibility, though he would still be the worst-paid coach in the ACC, right? Is this a common occurrence, in your experience?

Okay, I can buy your explanation.

But how does it account for the events that have transpired since the mutual interest was confirmed? One party has to be insanely incompetent or delusional, right?

Negotiations break down all the time for a variety of reasons. If Wake floated a number that was ridiculously low, that could be a pretty bad miscalculation but by the same token if the fact that we offered that forced Lembo to raise his price, then it seems like both parties are at fault. You don't take somebody else's offer and then say "this makes me want more."

Wake isn't going to negotiate against themselves.

ETA: DC Deac has a decent explanation as well. I really have no idea what happened and I don't think more than a handful of people do (or what continues to happen). It could really be any number of things. It may turn out that Wake really did float the one million number without anything else and I would say this is a pretty bad miscalculation given the fact that both sides likely knew what they stood entering the talks. If DC's theory occurred, I could easily see us saying one million plus the buyout, plus built-in incentives.

People on here were saying one of the major things about Grobe was his high salary in exchange for low wins, so if we're going to pay somebody a decent chunk of change again it needs to be a big splash IMO. Otherwise we could have just kept Grobe.

Last edited:
Pete Lembo vs. Dave Clawson (LOL JK - WE SUCK)

this is like the Boston marathon thing... bunch of peeps speculating on stuff they really have no idea about. but entertaining, which trumps all I suppose

I do wonder if Wellman is tossing out these low ball offers because we don't have the funds to go higher (I find this hard to believe), or because he simply doesn't feel it necessary/prudent at a school like Wake Forest (this is stupid).

Neither of those options are good. If we don't have the funds, that's squarely on Ron's shoulders in several different ways.
Why do I suddenly feel like there is another "deferred compensation" payment in mo'ron future?

Negotiations break down all the time for a variety of reasons. If Wake floated a number that was ridiculously low, that could be a pretty bad miscalculation but by the same token if the fact that we offered that forced Lembo to raise his price, then it seems like both parties are at fault. You don't take somebody else's offer and then say "this makes me want more."

Wake isn't going to negotiate against themselves.

Unless Ron offered $1 million, which is both insulting and disingenuous relative to the value of a guy like Lembo. A counter offer of $2 million could be worked down to something more reasonable, right? It seems like this type of breakdown accompanies a particularly poor handling of the negotiation on the part of the hiring party, no?

Could the sticking point be the length of the contract and/or possible incentives to increase the salary over time?

Unless Ron offered $1 million, which is both insulting and disingenuous relative to the value of a guy like Lembo. A counter offer of $2 million could be worked down to something more reasonable, right? It seems like this type of breakdown accompanies a particularly poor handling of the negotiation on the part of the hiring party, no?

I mean if the original offer was one million with no other consideration then that's a slap in the face offer unless there was a lot of room to move up for Wake - and that should be expressed up front. If the original offer was closer to 1.5 million all compensation included and Lembo's offer was two million I would imagine both sides could work a bit to get the number to around 1.7 or 1.8.

If Wake said that the price was one million and Lembo said his number was two million and then he said "now my offer is 2.2 million after your low ball offer," then I think both parties look like asshats.

I mean if the original offer was one million with no other consideration then that's a slap in the face offer unless there was a lot of room to move up for Wake - and that should be expressed up front. If the original offer was closer to 1.5 million all compensation included and Lembo's offer was two million I would imagine both sides could work a bit to get the number to around 1.7 or 1.8.

If Wake said that the price was one million and Lembo said his number was two million and then he said "now my offer is 2.2 million after your low ball offer," then I think both parties look like asshats.

Except Lembo likely wouldn't have share his initial offer until he already had Wake's.

Yep, still in Lembo.

Ron is still trying to figure out how low he can go. "How about $1 mil AND free season tickets to basketball? We hope to be historically competitive, you know."

Last edited:
Back