• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Welcome Dave Clawson - 430PM Presser (Clawson Wins Presser, OGB Gets E-Boners)

I understand you're kidding, but in a somewhat related note I think tonight would be a great opportunity to pass out pizzas or something in the library.

Oooh yeah this would be a great way to introduce him to the student population. No chance the AD thinks of that though, they'll probably just have Bzz pass out donuts again.

It's not about the top players in the state. The talent pool in Florida is so much deeper than it is in North Carolina. Wake can pull players from there that it would be in a dogfight for in NC.

Wake's best recruiting strategy is for each class to have the following make up.

6-10 Florida recruits
3-5 NC recruits
2-5 Ga recruits
2-5 Tx recruits
2-3 Va recruits
1-2 SC recruits
1-2 Tn recruits
2-5 recruits from everywhere else

Oooh yeah this would be a great way to introduce him to the student population. No chance the AD thinks of that though, they'll probably just have Bzz pass out donuts again.

Claws already passed out pizza to student fans at the game. He's a boss. Claws is a man of the people.

Yea I don't know why people are so hung out up on the "no offer = wasn't our first choice" thing. That's just not how job searches work at all. The only reason we never "formally offered" him a contract is because the sides couldn't agree on the parameters of what that contract would look like. That hardly means we preferred another candidate (be it Clawson or anyone else) over Lembo.

It'd be like discussing a job opening with Applicant A, your first choice, where it comes out during discussions that Applicant A will not agree to a start date before January 1, 2014. You really need whoever fills this position on December 15, 2013. So you talk to Applicant B, who is free to start on December 15. And you offer Applicant B, and he accepts. None of this means that Applicant A wasn't your first choice; he just had a demand -- here, a later start date -- that you as the employer weren't comfortable with. It's fine, it happens.

Stop. Throwing. Clawson. Under. The. Bus.

I suppose but we aren't pulling top tier talent from Florida or anywhere else anyway. Seems like if we had a great recruiting staff in place it would be easier to recruit talent away from UNC and State than big football states with big football colleges. Plus it's not that much investment in resources as it's close by. I know the best of NC doesn't match up against the best of Florida but that is not really what we are recruiting anyway.

Second and third tier FL players end up at WVU and other D-I and D-IAA programs. We can get that. Second and third tier NC players end up in Div II or III. Just not that much talent in NC mainly because it isn't that heavily populated of a state. Like to see us recruit more in GA also.

I suppose but we aren't pulling top tier talent from Florida or anywhere else anyway. Seems like if we had a great recruiting staff in place it would be easier to recruit talent away from UNC and State than big football states with big football colleges. Plus it's not that much investment in resources as it's close by. I know the best of NC doesn't match up against the best of Florida but that is not really what we are recruiting anyway.

The best of NC doesn't stack up with the middle of FL most years.

It's not about the top players in the state. The talent pool in Florida is so much deeper than it is in North Carolina. Wake can pull players from there that it would be in a dogfight for in NC.

Wake's best recruiting strategy is for each class to have the following make up.

6-10 Florida recruits
3-5 NC recruits
2-5 Ga recruits
2-5 Tx recruits
2-3 Va recruits
1-2 SC recruits
1-2 Tn recruits
2-5 recruits from everywhere else

That said, there now are a lot of FBS schools in the state of Florida that allow those kids the opportunity to remain at home

That said, there now are a lot of FBS schools in the state of Florida that allow those kids the opportunity to remain at home

Other than Miami, we're still one of the closest options if the kid is interested in a private school education in a Power Conference.

Other than Miami, we're still one of the closest options if the kid is interested in a private school education in a Power Conference.

Which very very few of the talented kids are. Wake needs to be recruiting kids all over, not just in Florida, if it wants to have a chance to compete. It actually probably wouldn't hurt to get some players from the Mid-Atlantic and Northeast, as well as Ohio. They probably think of going to Winston in much more favorable terms than kids from Florida. They would also probably co-exist better with Wake's current and future student population.

Interesting note, the Bowling Green Special Teams/ Tight Ends coach Adam Scheier is the interim head coach for the bowl game. Wonder if this means both coordinators are in the mix for the HC position, or neither.

Current BG running backs coach/recruiting coordinator is a holdover from the coach before Clawson, so it isn't impossible that Clawson invites one or two previous Wake staff back.
Current BG Offensive coordinator either got lucky or is pretty good at finding and/or developing quarterbacks. Pretty good list of QBs he has worked with, particularly considering that he has been at lower level schools most of his career. If he finds/develops QBs at Wake like it seems he has elsewhere, the offense should be pretty good.

Current O-line coach has done that for ten years. Not sure if that is good or bad...should he have moved up if good, or is he a guy like the Washington Redskins old O-line coach, Joe Bugel, who just liked coaching the O-line and made a career out of it until he moved up and got paid very, very late in his career. Some guys just find a niche they really love and keep doing it very well.

Well, I'm excited to see how Clawson changes things up. We definitely needed some new blood in the football program.

Now all we have to do is get rid of Bzz so I can start attending Wake athletic events again...

Interesting note, the Bowling Green Special Teams/ Tight Ends coach Adam Scheier is the interim head coach for the bowl game. Wonder if this means both coordinators are in the mix for the HC position, or neither.

Current BG running backs coach/recruiting coordinator is a holdover from the coach before Clawson, so it isn't impossible that Clawson invites one or two previous Wake staff back.
Current BG Offensive coordinator either got lucky or is pretty good at finding and/or developing quarterbacks. Pretty good list of QBs he has worked with, particularly considering that he has been at lower level schools most of his career. If he finds/develops QBs at Wake like it seems he has elsewhere, the offense should be pretty good.

Current O-line coach has done that for ten years. Not sure if that is good or bad...should he have moved up if good, or is he a guy like the Washington Redskins old O-line coach, Joe Bugel, who just liked coaching the O-line and made a career out of it until he moved up and got paid very, very late in his career. Some guys just find a niche they really love and keep doing it very well.

The BG boards talk about the DC as a potential candidate for the job, not so much the OC.

Football outsiders stats are interesting. Bgsu is 41 in the combined FEI/S&P ratings. The S&P part of that equation likes bowling green much more at 26. Of note is that bgsu had #7 special teams by advanced stats. Great for a MAC team.

You must be from NC if you think that is an issue. NC football is isn't that great. I'd rather have Clawson's FL ties.

You got it. Just seems that it would help change the #culture a bit, to show some interest in legit players in Wake's backyard. I am not so sure NC players are rushing to go and play for the )-fer the ACC Pack right now. It's a good opportunity.

Another important question for those of you who are attending the meet and greet , is Clawson gonna ride out on the Harley on opening night?

The BG boards talk about the DC as a potential candidate for the job, not so much the OC.

Most of the twitter buzz seems to be external. And let's hope so, as Mike Elko (DC) appears very good.

Most of the twitter buzz seems to be external. And let's hope so, as Mike Elko (DC) appears very good.

Agreed.

How he puts his staff together could be pretty interesting / telling.

Ohhhh shiiii my boy showed up in a suit.

BbI60crIAAAvLHL.jpg

Do we really not have a jet?

Well his facts are we offered Clawson and didn't offer Lembo, which he is using as a proxy for saying Clawson was our first choice.

I heard from a couple people on the Board that the first choice was Lembo (directly from Wellman's mouth) but that could be wrong as well and just fodder.

Ron doesn't tend to tip his hand. It is possible that there was some pressure for Ron to reveal where he was going with this hire after the Bizaster, but I still doubt he was telling anyone who his first choice was. Not questioing that you heard from well-connected people, but sometimes important nuances get lost in translation.

Back