• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Welcome Dave Clawson - 430PM Presser (Clawson Wins Presser, OGB Gets E-Boners)

I will say, I'm not surprised Wellman is offering lower money, because despite all the BS about the DC numbers remaining the same, I'm sure the AD financials are total shit right now thanks to Ronald and [Redacted]. So, I sort of get it, but at the same time it's all a situation of Ronald's own doing.

The main thing is that this is why we hired Cat Stevens. He can move some stuff around, shake a few trees, carry a few zeroes, and it's done! Moon shadow, moon shadow.

I will say, I'm not surprised Wellman is offering lower money, because despite all the BS about the DC numbers remaining the same, I'm sure the AD financials are total shit right now thanks to Ronald and [Redacted]. So, I sort of get it, but at the same time it's all a situation of Ronald's own doing.

The main thing is that this is why we hired Cat Stevens. He can move some stuff around, shake a few trees, carry a few zeroes, and it's done! Moon shadow, moon shadow.

Haven't you heard? Donations are way up! They're soaring like the Hindenburg!

I would also assume that the Joel purchase is straining the athletic funds as well.

I would also assume that the Joel purchase is straining the athletic funds as well.
While I dont doubt it, I'm guessing the AD had a couple years to play and stash away some $$ since they were expecting the sale. It was rumored for years before it actually went through. Purely speculation though.

How did we pay for the Joel? What was our lease payment to the city? I haven't seen anything definitive on either of these questions.

I have no problem with Wellman low balling a little bit out of the gate. It's a negotiation. The guy coaches Ball State and makes like $500,000 annually. You don't just walk in the door and hand him $2MM. Now if Lembo looks for a compromise and Wellman refuses to increase his offer and sinks the whole thing that would be a major issue.

I have no problem with Wellman low balling a little bit out of the gate. It's a negotiation. The guy coaches Ball State and makes like $500,000 annually. You don't just walk in the door and hand him $2MM. Now if Lembo looks for a compromise and Wellman refuses to increase his offer and sinks the whole thing that would be a major issue.

Agreed. Plus, Lembo might be willing to take a lower base salary if there were incentives that he could negotiate in, or if there was a higher budget for assistant coaches. Don't mind Wellman's negotiating SO FAR

looks like UW is going to hire Chris Peterson, so that takes the only (I think?) other current BCS opening off the board.

Of course, but as a show of good faith one would think the initial offer should be somewhere in the ballpark of what new high-major coaches are getting, not 30-40% less.

How do negotiations work? Do we offer x for hc, and forget about assistants, or do we go, here is 3 mill allocate it how you want?

That one kinda surprises me. Hasn't he turned down much more high profile jobs?

i think the new playoff system really hurts non power conference teams. no auto qualifier for them any more. and when was the last time a non power team was top 4?

While he doesn't give off that impression, Hatch is a huge basketball fan. I know the first few years he was at Wake he used to play pick up basketball games a couple times a week in Reynolds Gym.

From his acceptance speech when he started:

"Becoming part of Wake Forest is not difficult for someone who still hazards to play basketball several times a week-and who, in his youth, drank at no spring other than ACC basketball," he said in his acceptance speech. "In Columbia, S.C., I attended University High School on the campus of the University of South Carolina-then still a part of the Atlantic Coast Conference. Our gym was only half a block from USC's Field House. I clearly remember going to see Bones McKinney coach that great Wake Forest team that included Billy Packer and Lenny Chappel. "

Yeah, Hatch is a serious sports fan. All this crap about him wanting to dismantle the sports programs in an effort to turn Wake into an ivy league is laughable if you've ever had a conversation with him.

Having standards and having successful sports teams are not mutually exclusive, no matter how desperate the fan base gets.

Of course, but as a show of good faith one would think the initial offer should be somewhere in the ballpark of what new high-major coaches are getting, not 30-40% less.

I doubt Doeren's first offer was $1.8MM. I'm sure he had to negotiate with State.

Wellman: Hey Coach Lembo, we really love you. How'd you like to get a $700,000 raise to coach the Deacs?
Lembo: Gee, Wake Forest sounds like a powerhouse in the making. But I see where Doeren at NC State makes $1.8MM and that sounds a lot better than $1.2MM.
Wellman: So $1.5MM then?
Lembo: I'll be there on Monday.

Yeah, Hatch is a serious sports fan. All this crap about him wanting to dismantle the sports programs in an effort to turn Wake into an ivy league is laughable if you've ever had a conversation with him.

Having standards and having successful sports teams are not mutually exclusive, no matter how desperate the fan base gets.

What does this mean? I agree that the two aren't mutually exclusive, so why does Wellman continue to use one as an excuse for the other?

Back