• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Welcome Dave Clawson - 430PM Presser (Clawson Wins Presser, OGB Gets E-Boners)

It appears Ron agreed but managed to screw up the hire. Either that or Lembo told him he doesn't like Bzzzz.
I realize it's cool to slam Wellman, but this is getting ridiculous. One individual had that opinion of Lembo being "perfect". One individual thought Bz would be "perfect".

Clausen, Lembo and Naz were all considered top choices. We got one of them...which is awesome IMO. Clausen probably has one of the best resumes we've ever had as a head coach. Does anyone know of a better one? That means we have successfully built on Grobe's tenure as coach. A+ for this hire. It also bodes well for the future when looking for a bball coach.

Clawson is an A+ hire. His resume is much better than we usually do in hiring football coaches.

You did good, Ron, you did good.

I am solidly Wellman Out, but I agree this is a better hire than we usually would get for football. Clawson has won several conference championships, several coaching awards, and just won a pretty big game a few days ago. I am #ClawsIn.

Having said that, I think it would have taken a lot for Wellman to screw this up, as there were several great candidates and not many openings. I'm afraid Wellman may have dicked around an missed on a better option, and my bigger concern is WHY we didn't work something out with Lembo. I hope this works out well, but I'm just so tired of the culture/Wake Way bullshit, I guess I'm jaded.

FWIW and h/t to Numbers because I saw that he tweeted this: Bowling Green would be a 9.5 to 10 pt favorite on a neutral field over Ball State.

I am solidly Wellman Out, but I agree this is a better hire than we usually would get for football. Clawson has won several conference championships, several coaching awards, and just won a pretty big game a few days ago. I am #ClawsIn.

Having said that, I think it would have taken a lot for Wellman to screw this up, as there were several great candidates and not many openings. I'm afraid Wellman may have dicked around an missed on a better option, and my bigger concern is WHY we didn't work something out with Lembo. I hope this works out well, but I'm just so tired of the culture/Wake Way bullshit, I guess I'm jaded.

I don't really put any stock in this theory, but if Wellman forced Coach Grobe's hand this year knowing that there were going to be no other BCS conference teams looking for a coach, he actually is a lot smarter that we give him credit for being.

As I have said before, I don't think there was any way to definitively differentiate between Coach Clawson and Coach Lembo with respect to who would be a better fit for Wake. The fact that Wellman could pick between those two guys was either amazing luck or some shrewd planning.

I don't really put any stock in this theory, but if Wellman forced Coach Grobe's hand this year knowing that there were going to be no other BCS conference teams looking for a coach, he actually is a lot smarter that we give him credit for being.

http://accbasketball.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/jeff-[Redacted].jpg

FWIW and h/t to Numbers because I saw that he tweeted this: Bowling Green would be a 9.5 to 10 pt favorite on a neutral field over Ball State.

Last season I believe every team in the league at one point was an underdog to a team coached by Vinny Del Negro.

As I have said before, I don't think there was any way to definitively differentiate between Coach Clawson and Coach Lembo with respect to who would be a better fit for Wake. The fact that Wellman could pick between those two guys was either amazing luck or some shrewd planning.

Agreed. Whether Grobe did us a solid or Wellman convinced him, we went looking for a coach at the perfect time (or as Ph has pointed out, we kept a losing staff longer than the other schools did). Anyway, if Lembo never came up, I think I'd be ecstatic about Clawson. I'm just going to focus on that.

ETA: And honestly, I'm not sure who the better hire is anyway. Clawson is a big step up over our normal candidates. Maybe he really is the best fit. I was more concerned about how RW did or didn't go about things, not really about Lembo specifically. I'm going to let that go and just look forward to seeing what the Claw can do.

Agreed!

I'm very happy with the result, but LOL at the Wellman "smarter than we think" stuff after a single, obvious hire in which we still missed out 1st choice, who said he wanted the job. How quickly folks forget the 3+ years of bullshit and lies Wellman has fed the fan base in support of his Buzz hire.

The 2013 Bowling Green team is excellent and is definitely better than Ball State, but they wouldn't be 10 pt faves on a neutral. I'm not sure if you are using lolsaragin or what, but no. Prob around 4-6 pt faves. This is not in any way meant to degrade the 2013 BG squad as they are very good.

I've bet a bit of MAC this year and was able to scoop some BG +5 in the MAC title game before the sharps bet it down to 3.5/3.

I'm still not convinced that Lembo was the first choice. I could be wrong, and we'll never know. I honestly think that there wasn't a first choice going into the weekend. Lembo got the first interview because he didn't have anything to do last week. I have no doubt that financials were discussed, but Clawson very well could have been the guy out of the gate. I tend to think that if it was a 1a/1b scenario going into Friday, the game against NIU probably tipped the scales. Assuming that scenario is correct, then there are certainly criticisms to be made, but there is a lot of speculation being responded to as fact. I still think these two guys will forever be linked in our eyes going forward like Tyler Lewis and CMM. We got the right guy out of that one, and I hope we did here too.

I'm very happy with the result, but LOL at the Wellman "smarter than we think" stuff after a single, obvious hire in which we still missed out 1st choice, who said he wanted the job. How quickly folks forget the 3+ years of bullshit and lies Wellman has fed the fan base in support of his Buzz hire.

I'm not forgetting shit. I still would rather hire a new AD before we hire a new basketball coach. But to suggest Lembo was our first choice is, well, not in line with the facts. He may have been the first choice of OGBoards (and me), but BSD has already said no official offer was made to Lembo, which means he wasn't our first choice. With out getting to much into semantics, we only made 1 offer. And unless someone was in the room or reading the emails of Lembo and Wellman, nobody knows where Lembo fell on Wellman's wish list.

Can you imagine how hilariously bad our team would be with Tyler Lewis? I want to vom at the mere thought.

The 2013 Bowling Green team is excellent and is definitely better than Ball State, but they wouldn't be 10 pt faves on a neutral. I'm not sure if you are using lolsaragin or what, but no. Prob around 4-6 pt faves. This is not in any way meant to degrade the 2013 BG squad as they are very good.

I've bet a bit of MAC this year and was able to scoop some BG +5 in the MAC title game before the sharps bet it down to 3.5/3.

Bowling Green is 9 points better in each of Sagarin's three ratings - one counting just wins and losses, one counting win and loss margin and adjusting for SOS, and one which uses win and loss margin.

Ball State was an 8 point underdog to NIU (which I realize included the fact that the ranking next to NIU's name would sway picks) and Bowling Green is a touchdown better than NIU on Sagarin.

I'm pretty much OK with this. My problem with Lembo is that his teams surrender almost as many points as they score.
Doesn't appear to be the case with Clawson's teams.

The only real testimonial for Lembo comes from some blogger with whom many of you seem to be enamored.

Having never completed the reading of a blog, because I have yet to find one that can hold my interest, I will give this dude credit for the posts that he has made on this board. He has displayed at least a modicum of understanding that the economy of language is a virtue.

this-fucking-guy.gif

Thanks for the compliment, though. At least, I think.

Back