• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Welcome Dave Clawson - 430PM Presser (Clawson Wins Presser, OGB Gets E-Boners)

I didn't say anyone was objectively better. That was one of your folks.

Agreed, it was mostly Numbers being Numbers. But you did argue his points, which frankly isn't all that uncommon. My points were more that the argument itself is kind of stupid for a lot of the reasons you laid out earlier.

#otpIN

He hasn't. Obviously I'm more in Lembo's camp because of my dealings with him and my football knowledge, but Clawson is a good coach. You all will be fine and kicking the asses of Maryland and Virginia in no time, and really, that's something we can all get behind.

I really doubt Dave Clawson ever gets the opportunity to coach against Maryland at Wake. Maryland probably plays more games in Indiana than NC during his tenure.

The two most prominent names I've heard bantered about from some alums I know are Luke Fickell and the OC from Tennessee. I think the thinking is that most of the assistants will be on staff at Wake and will transition after the bowl game. That's how it's usually done in the MAC. The HC leaves, takes the assistants he wants, and the shitbags that aren't either have some program connection or they aren't head coach worthy and the school wants a total reboot.

Gotta remember a head coach in the MAC with no real track record can expect in the neighborhood of 300-400k. Most coordinators at the BCS level pull close to that with a far better career trajectory. It's the classic ego now versus results later kind of deal.

Cool, that's good news then.

So what are we paying Clawson....am guessing around $1.6 million ?

Higher or lower ?

So what are we paying Clawson....am guessing around $1.6 million ?

Higher or lower ?

Just speculation, but I bet the salary figure comes in lower and looks reaaallly bad in the context of ACC salaries. I wouldn't be surprised if they negotiated lots of performance-based incentives into that, though, to close the gap.

Since I locked that thread, I'll go ahead and repost that awesome photoshop from it here:

2hi768g.jpg

Just speculation, but I bet the salary figure comes in lower and looks reaaallly bad in the context of ACC salaries. I wouldn't be surprised if they negotiated lots of performance-based incentives into that, though, to close the gap.

If the contract is a low base with high performances incentives, isn't that what we want?

I think Clawson looks pretty awesome in that picture, photoshop or not. Pleasant change.

Good article here:
http://www.accsports.com/articles/a-quick-dave-clawson-primer

As stated on here before, I am very concerned about the CLAWFENSE:

"There are, however, a few potential causes for concern. Though you can't really judge him fairly off his one-year horror show at Tennessee, Clawson's offenses also haven't set the world on fire at Bowling Green either. This year has been by far the most prolific BGSU offense under Clawson, averaging 35.4 points per game, 27th-best in the nation. Before that though, the Falcons were 94th in scoring offense (22.9) in 2012, 63rd (26.5 ppg) in 2011, 99th (21.3 ppg) in 2010 and 55th (28.5 ppg) in 2009. Those aren't numbers that will sit well with a Wake Forest fan base that had grown tired of the offensive struggles of Jim Grobe's team in recent seasons. Still, you don't get hired on as the offensive coordinator at Tennessee to replace David Cutcliffe if you don't have a reputation as a top offensive mind. And again, the Falcons' output this season was impressive."

In a much tougher league, this could turn into LOBO all over again. This is why I preferred Lembo - Offensive execution and solid ties to NC.

I think Clawson's offense requires a good quarterback. Assuming he brings one into the fold quickly, I'm not worried about his offense. But if he does have offensive struggles that go beyond that, he can always hire a new offensive coordinator. Novel concept for Wake, but other schools do it all the time.

The point about misinformation is a good one, but if that were the case, he's using new people to do it and throwing in extra layers of leaking which aren't his usual style. Tom Davis gets primo info, and he's had nothing. So while possible, I don't see it as probable just for how everything usually runs.

Hey, that's what I asked you about and you got defensive and flat out said no, not possible! That said, I hope you hang on to Lembo for a while, but I think it is inevitable that he will be moving on to a bigger stage soon.

"Fans are invited to a special Q&A session with Coach Clawson today at 5 p.m. on the sixth floor of Deacon Tower. Come meet your new coach and help welcome him to Wake Forest!

If you can't make it, you can watch live online on WakeForestSports.com"

This was something they never would have done with Bz from Day 1. Right there, that's a positive for the program. And likely a little bit of Wellman using Clawson as a human shield already.

Good article here:
http://www.accsports.com/articles/a-quick-dave-clawson-primer

As stated on here before, I am very concerned about the CLAWFENSE:

"There are, however, a few potential causes for concern. Though you can't really judge him fairly off his one-year horror show at Tennessee, Clawson's offenses also haven't set the world on fire at Bowling Green either. This year has been by far the most prolific BGSU offense under Clawson, averaging 35.4 points per game, 27th-best in the nation. Before that though, the Falcons were 94th in scoring offense (22.9) in 2012, 63rd (26.5 ppg) in 2011, 99th (21.3 ppg) in 2010 and 55th (28.5 ppg) in 2009. Those aren't numbers that will sit well with a Wake Forest fan base that had grown tired of the offensive struggles of Jim Grobe's team in recent seasons. Still, you don't get hired on as the offensive coordinator at Tennessee to replace David Cutcliffe if you don't have a reputation as a top offensive mind. And again, the Falcons' output this season was impressive."

In a much tougher league, this could turn into LOBO all over again. This is why I preferred Lembo - Offensive execution and solid ties to NC.

You must be from NC if you think that is an issue. NC football is isn't that great. I'd rather have Clawson's FL ties.

Back