• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Welcome Dave Clawson - 430PM Presser (Clawson Wins Presser, OGB Gets E-Boners)

The outpouring of fan support from this hire will probably go a long way toward demonstrating to Wellman and the administration what's missing from the basketball program right now.

Just think how much excitement there will be if we can bring in a quality basketball coach in the spring.

I am very glad to hear everyone who is listening to him and seeing him is quickly realizing we have a winner. He was well loved here in Richmond, and he just has it. Didn't understand some of the animosity from some of the pro-Lembo folks, but that seems to be fading quickly. Clawson is a stud and will get us back on the map.

And what is up with the Jimbo Fischer to Texas rumors? Why on earth would he leave FSU? Am I missing something? He's loaded at FSU and has a much easier path to the BCS playoff for the foreseeable future. No clue why he'd leave for Austin.

Have you been to Austin?

The outpouring of fan support from this hire will probably go a long way toward demonstrating to Wellman and the administration what's missing from the basketball program right now.

Just think how much excitement there will be if we can bring in a quality basketball coach in the spring.

I think the fan support for this hire is ratcheted up quite a bit by how miserably awful the [Redacted] hiring was.

That was awesome. Makes me excited to be a Deac. Really glad to have a guy who seems "get it" coaching at Wake. He may not have gone to WFU but you can tell he understands it.

Agreed. He showed it in many ways.

True.

But it also gives the higher ups a(nother) compelling reason to get rid of Bz.

And then Wellman can retire in a couple of years without leaving one of our major programs in terrible shape. [Redacted] may have been playing custodian during a couple of unavoidable garbage years, but the third and this year - along with losing one of only 2 real recruits on top - should be enough fodder to finally pull the trigger without coming off like he didn't give [Redacted] a chance.

This hire, on top of just being a great hire in general, gives me some hope that the above might actually happen.

I think the fan support for this hire is ratcheted up quite a bit by how miserably awful the [Redacted] hiring was.

Agree - hopefully the BOT and Wellman will see that the fan base is dying for competency in our flagship sports. Competent coaches = fan support. Grobe had lost his edge and needed to move on. [Redacted] is a wet noodle that never had the edge.

I wonder if Wellman fed him any of that, knowing it would play well.

No, he's been saying that for years. Here is a quote from a Sports Illustrated article before we hired him talking about recruiting for Richmond. When I read that article, it was no surprise he interviewed better than Lembo for the job.

"The sell was, 'If you're not a Stanford, Northwestern, BC-type recruit, we're the 1-AA equivalent,'" Clawson said. "We could get Conference USA-type players who were good students. Instead of saying that academics were the reason we couldn't be successful, it was the reason we were going to be successful."

Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/co...023/dave-clawson-bowling-green/#ixzz2n7K8gQBq

This man makes Jim Grobe look like a straight up idiot. He coached here year after year settling for mediocrity and even had players transferring to smaller schools and telling the media their reason for leaving is because the coaches simply didn't care about winning. Grobe always said he thought we had a "pretty good" team and hoped they could win enough games to get into a bowl game, and Clawson comes in saying the ACC Championship is his goal and any goals less than that would cause you not to have success. He says he wants to win every game and doesn't beat around the bush like Grobe always did. He pretty much is the complete opposite of Grobe in every way that cause Grobe to fail at Wake. Clawson is the fucking man and I cannot wait for football season.

Stop. Are you really trying to say Grobe didn't want to win every game?

Yeah, he had an unassuming personality, but I wouldn't mistake it for not wanting to win.

Stop. Are you really trying to say Grobe didn't want to win every game?

Yeah, he had an unassuming personality, but I wouldn't mistake it for not wanting to win.

Never said Grobe didn't want to win every game, he just didn't have the right mindset to convince the coaches, players and fans that he really believed we could win every game, and there is a big difference. He came off every year as if he thought we had a decent team and had a "chance" at winning them, unlike Clawson who said "I want to win every game". I have never heard Jim Grobe say anything with that kind of confidence. Also, Clawson pointed out that he would use our academics as an advantage and Grobe always reffered to us being an academic school as an "issue" or a negative. I just think that Clawson is going to have much more success at Wake than Grobe even though Grobe was worshiped around here for having one successful season. (Successful in Clawsons mindset being an ACC Championship). I expect another Orange Bowl trip in the next 4-5 years.

Sounded like his OC and DC were locked up. He didn't mention those positions when he was talking about potentially retaining Wake coaches, and he talked about how he and "his coaches" were already going over film. He also talked up the value of consistency between coaches, so my guess is they're coming unless they get head coaching gigs somewhere.

Expect to see OC and DC here tomorrow.

Never said Grobe didn't want to win every game, he just didn't have the right mindset to convince the coaches, players and fans that he really believed we could win every game, and there is a big difference. He came off every year as if he thought we had a decent team and had a "chance" at winning them, unlike Clawson who said "I want to win every game". I have never heard Jim Grobe say anything with that kind of confidence. Also, Clawson pointed out that he would use our academics as an advantage and Grobe always reffered to us being an academic school as an "issue" or a negative. I just think that Clawson is going to have much more success at Wake than Grobe even though Grobe was worshiped around here for having one successful season. (Successful in Clawsons mindset being an ACC Championship). I expect another Orange Bowl trip in the next 4-5 years.

I am in agreement with this post - except the last sentence, which I am still too LOWF to confidently predict. The last few years at least, all the Grobe talk about "having a chance to win at the end" really started to grate.

Totally pumped after watching some of the press conference.... Claws is a great speaker.. Completely chubing

I am in agreement with this post - except the last sentence, which I am still too LOWF to confidently predict. The last few years at least, all the Grobe talk about "having a chance to win at the end" really started to grate.

Yeah, thats understandable, but just looking at what Clawson has done in the past, turning terrible programs into conference champions at every school he has coached at, I just think he can have the same success at Wake, maybe even in a shorter period of time. He turned around 0 win and 1 win programs, and coming to wake, he already has a decent roster with some solid players that could have been successful with a different coaching staff/more motivation/etc.

Sounded like his OC and DC were locked up. He didn't mention those positions when he was talking about potentially retaining Wake coaches, and he talked about how he and "his coaches" were already going over film. He also talked up the value of consistency between coaches, so my guess is they're coming unless they get head coaching gigs somewhere.

What? He's not hiring Lobo as his OC?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

Looking back at pictures from like 5 years ago at Tennessee, damn, that dude's hair grayed quickly. Either that, or he had enough of Just For Men.

Back