• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

well said, Kareem (Donald Sterling discussion thread)

Why did the NAACP keep giving Sterling these awards? They undermined the racial accusations against him.

Reportedly, he gave blocks of tickets and concessions for poor kids for every game as well as about $10M.

Hmm. I don't think Riley Cooper's situation is that comparable to Donald Sterlings. All racism is a terrible thing. Cooper Apologized genuinely, it was an isolated incident, at least publically for him, and had the support of most of his teammates. Sterling has not apologized, has repeatedly made racist remark, with actions, and does not have the support of anyone around him, except for his crazy wife? People can make mistakes. Its the heart and attitude exhibited after those mistakes I think that makes the person. I think Riley was just ignorant, and not truly racist. Sterling is racist.

I don't think the Cooper and Sterling situations are comparable either but if you think that was an isolated incident from Cooper (even if publicly) you are kidding yourself. There is no doubt he has expressed those views before...that was not the first time he has said the "N word".

My point is that we are quick to forgive a guy when he has a tangible asset. If Sterling were the best player on the Clippers and recorded saying the same thing he would have a much easier road to redemption. If the owner of the Eagles had been video tapped screaming he wanted to fight "every ****** in this place" like a lunatic he would not have been forgiven by week one.

It's funny to me when someone is caught candidly saying something questionable, that people assume it's only the first time they've said it. It's pretty clear that Cooper, Bundy, and Sterling were all pretty comfortable with their perspectives on race.

And what is really amazing with the Eagles is that Riley Cooper played much better with Foles than Vick which probably made Desean Jackson easier to move. Not saying he tanked Vick on purpose, obviously, but Cooper played some of the best football of his life with Foles at QB.

Skins, I'm not quite sure what you mean by "tangible asset" here. I think if Cooper was a star player, it would have been much worse for him. Also he wasn't in a position of power, so is words didn't mean as much.

It's funny to me when someone is caught candidly saying something questionable, that people assume it's only the first time they've said it. It's pretty clear that Cooper, Bundy, and Sterling were all pretty comfortable with their perspectives on race.

And what is really amazing with the Eagles is that Riley Cooper played much better with Foles than Vick which probably made Desean Jackson easier to move. Not saying he tanked Vick on purpose, obviously, but Cooper played some of the best football of his life with Foles at QB.

Skins, I'm not quite sure what you mean by "tangible asset" here. I think if Cooper was a star player, it would have been much worse for him. Also he wasn't in a position of power, so is words didn't mean as much.

Cooper was allowed to come back because the Eagles needed a WR. If he were disposable they would have dropped him. He was forgiven when he started producing. If he had been a bum last year his comments would have not been forgotten so quickly.

Posted this on the unpopular opinions thread but guess it's more relevant here. Or there, I don't know.

This whole Sterling thing has been blown out of proportions more than anything I can remember in recent sports history. The President chiming in on it. Everybody trying to get their voice on the topic, and no one able to argue the other side because they’ll immediately be labelled a racist as well.

And Sterling being fined $2.5M and a lifetime ban from the NBA is absolutely ridiculous. For saying something (albeit very ignorant and racist) in a private conversation. Owners and players have done far worse things but the idea of a lifetime ban was never even discussed. I personally think Sterling is a racist bigot and one of the worst owners of a Big 4 sports team, but his punishment and this entire reaction is just ridiculous.

Didn't Isaiah Thomas also have some controversial comments regarding race awhile ago? Bottom line to me is most likely everyone has said things regarding other races, etc. that really are not uplifting. So for me, I am working on myself first (my wife helps me with that :), not sure how many of us are ever really qualified to cast stones.

That's one reason why people are so eager to cast stones.

I think the powers that be in our society have done a great job of convincing people that racism is only evidenced through words like Sterling and Bundy and not actions.

And yet the LA Chapter was ready to award Sterling with a lifetime achievement award along with another longtime 'reverse racist' Al "Duke lacrosse yet to apologize" Sharpton. How do you figure that Ph?

"The Los Angeles chapter of the NAACP will not award Clippers owner Donald Sterling with a lifetime achievement award after all.

Sterling, who is being investigated by the NBA on accusations of making "disturbing and offensive" remarks about minorities, was set to be honored by the civil rights group on May 15 at a gala celebrating the organization's 100th birthday, alongside other honorees such as Al Sharpton and Mayor Eric Garcetti

How on earth does the LA chapter of the NAACP stand as the arbiters of race? Surely, TheReff wouldn't care if they were criticizing somebody for racism, but when they take money as penance, Sterling can't be all that bad.

http://financialjuneteenth.com/the-naacp-is-willing-to-forgive-donald-sterling-for-a-small-donation/
This week, the Los Angeles Times has reported that Leon Jenkins, president of the Los Angeles branch of the NAACP, is willing to forgive Sterling for his latest set of racial sins, all for a modest fee. Using God, Christianity and the bible as cover, Jenkins goes back to the foundations of why black people were fed religious beliefs that teach us to bend in fear in the midst of battle, even if others have declared war on us.

“God teaches us to forgive, and the way I look at it, after a sustained period of proof to the African American community that those words don’t reflect his heart, I think there’s room for forgiveness. I wouldn’t be a Christian if I said there wasn’t,” Jenkins said.

“We are negotiating with him about giving more moneys to African American students at UCLA, and so we are in preliminary discussions,” he also said.

I challenge you to present an equally relevant example of American racism being perpetrated by non-whites.

Probably not to you, but when my son got curb-stomped about 2 years ago for being white at the "wrong time/wrong place", it was pretty "relevant" to him. But in fairness to your point it was not "perpetual"; it probably took less than 30 seconds for a half-dozen guys to kick his ass and drive off.

Probably not to you, but when my son got curb-stomped about 2 years ago for being white at the "wrong time/wrong place", it was pretty "relevant" to him. But in fairness to your point it was not "perpetual"; it probably took less than 30 seconds for a half-dozen guys to kick his ass and drive off.

Man, I feel sorry for you if your entire world view on race is based on your son's account from one incident.

So what was your son doing? Where the black people who beat him up punished?

Last edited:
Didn't Isaiah Thomas also have some controversial comments regarding race awhile ago? Bottom line to me is most likely everyone has said things regarding other races, etc. that really are not uplifting. So for me, I am working on myself first (my wife helps me with that :), not sure how many of us are ever really qualified to cast stones.

Originally Rodman said that Larry Bird would be just another black guy if he were in fact black and Isaiah agreed w him.

I think that's exactly what he is saying

I edited that to ask the question, but I'd like to hear more about it. It's sad to me that he thinks a few people beating up his son is comparable to a billionaire who has been accused in many instances of housing discrimination.

It was only a matter of time before people explicitly or implicitly defended Sterling. Shame it's a fellow Down East Deac.

Posted this on the unpopular opinions thread but guess it's more relevant here. Or there, I don't know.

This whole Sterling thing has been blown out of proportions more than anything I can remember in recent sports history. The President chiming in on it. Everybody trying to get their voice on the topic, and no one able to argue the other side because they’ll immediately be labelled a racist as well.

And Sterling being fined $2.5M and a lifetime ban from the NBA is absolutely ridiculous. For saying something (albeit very ignorant and racist) in a private conversation. Owners and players have done far worse things but the idea of a lifetime ban was never even discussed. I personally think Sterling is a racist bigot and one of the worst owners of a Big 4 sports team, but his punishment and this entire reaction is just ridiculous.

This. I don't get why this is such a dominant news story. It was the lead story on all the national news, even ahead of the storms that are destroying towns and lives. A stupid racist made a stupid racist comment- and that's the biggest news in the United States?

This. I don't get why this is such a dominant news story. It was the lead story on all the national news, even ahead of the storms that are destroying towns and lives. A stupid racist made a stupid racist comment- and that's the biggest news in the United States?

It's not every day that a major sports league punishes an owner.

Do you think this is a bigger story than Bundy?

Man, I feel sorry for you if your entire world view on race is based on your son's account from one incident.

So what was your son doing? Where the black people who beat him up punished?

Who said they were black!?!? Nice racist stereotype there PH.

Back