• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

well said, Kareem (Donald Sterling discussion thread)

Posted this on the unpopular opinions thread but guess it's more relevant here. Or there, I don't know.

This whole Sterling thing has been blown out of proportions more than anything I can remember in recent sports history. The President chiming in on it. Everybody trying to get their voice on the topic, and no one able to argue the other side because they’ll immediately be labelled a racist as well.

And Sterling being fined $2.5M and a lifetime ban from the NBA is absolutely ridiculous. For saying something (albeit very ignorant and racist) in a private conversation. Owners and players have done far worse things but the idea of a lifetime ban was never even discussed. I personally think Sterling is a racist bigot and one of the worst owners of a Big 4 sports team, but his punishment and this entire reaction is just ridiculous.

It's because he owns a team which plays the sport with the highest profile in the African American community, and what he said was so unbelievably offensive to that community.

It's not every day that a major sports league punishes an owner.

Do you think this is a bigger story than Bundy?

It was the lead story all last night and this morning, well before the NBA announced its punishment.

It was the lead story all last night and this morning, well before the NBA announced its punishment.

Because of the anticipation of some type of formal reaction from the NBA.

Does anyone think it might be fishy that Magic is the guy who stands the gain the most from the downfall (finally) of Sterling?

Fishy how? You think he baited Sterling?

It has been common knowledge the man is a racist for years. The NBA owners didn't seem to be bothered by that for the last thirty plus years. What I find interesting about this is that you combine the internet and fifteen minute news cycles into the mix today and a site like TMZ can take you down like a bowling pin. What I also find interesting is the mistress. She accepted millions in gifts and then she records the guy (supposedly at his request) and exposes the recording? There's a lot more going on here than meets the eye. But the senile old bigot had it coming, so social justice is served I guess.

i really hope that's what happened and it never comes out.

I mean, I've probably watched too much House of Cards but how amazing would it be if Magic got the girlfriend to tape this asshat ranting and raving w/ the idea that it would push him to sell his franchise, probably at a slightly discounted rate and probably to an African American owner....

I'm just saying. Like you say Phan, kinda cool.

The fact that Sterling was still around is a black eye for the Stern Administration in my opinion, the guy sucked as an owner AND he's a known racist/bigot. He should have been gone long ago.

Posted this on the unpopular opinions thread but guess it's more relevant here. Or there, I don't know.

This whole Sterling thing has been blown out of proportions more than anything I can remember in recent sports history. The President chiming in on it. Everybody trying to get their voice on the topic, and no one able to argue the other side because they’ll immediately be labelled a racist as well.

And Sterling being fined $2.5M and a lifetime ban from the NBA is absolutely ridiculous. For saying something (albeit very ignorant and racist) in a private conversation. Owners and players have done far worse things but the idea of a lifetime ban was never even discussed. I personally think Sterling is a racist bigot and one of the worst owners of a Big 4 sports team, but his punishment and this entire reaction is just ridiculous.

It's because he owns a team which plays the sport with the highest profile in the African American community, and what he said was so unbelievably offensive to that community.

Yeah, pretty much. I too think a lot of this is overblown, but what story these days ISN'T overblown? It's the nature of the 24 hour news cycle.

I'm glad to see Kareem touched on all the unsavory elements of this story. Sterling is a first class dufus, but that doesn't mean he deserved to have this stuff recorded and played for the world. His GF should be punished as well. Then again, that whole crowd kind of deserves each other. Some golddigging whore and an old man who gladly takes her on to look good, so long as she doesn't bring any darkies around to give off the unsavory impression that he's mixing jizz with a darker male in that already mixed jizz snatch.

His punishment exceeds his crime, but it is also necessary. This isn't Marge Schott, baseball, and saying something that offended Hank Greenberg's corpse. This is the NBA, an overwhelmingly black sport. And perhaps more importantly, this is 20+ years since Marge Schott. Even if the NBA is being heavy handed in forcing a sale (but within its rights, apparently), it is in his interest to sell off the team because no black players are going to want to play for the man now and you can't have a viable franchise when that's the case.

Last edited:
I edited that to ask the question, but I'd like to hear more about it. It's sad to me that he thinks a few people beating up his son is comparable to a billionaire who has been accused in many instances of housing discrimination.

It was only a matter of time before people explicitly or implicitly defended Sterling. Shame it's a fellow Down East Deac.

I don't think he ever defended Sterling, just stated that white people do not have a monopoly on racism.

Reminds me of a favorite Drive-By Truckers song "The Three Great Alabama Icons"

Racism is a world wide problem and has been since the beginning of recorded history
And it ain't just white & black but thanks to George Wallace
It's always a little more convenient to play it with a southern accent

Racism is morally repulsive. It is evil. But you are right. The NBA commissioner is more about saving face than about making a responsible response. The free market would take care of Mr. Sterling's interest in the Clippers. As sponsors withdraw support and as fans stop attending games and as television refuses to broadcast Clippers' games due to the protest of their sponsors, Sterling would be forced to exit the NBA. That is the way it should happen. But this reaction is over-kill. The commissioner could have blasted Sterling and imposed penalties; but he went too far. This kind of reaction would be appropriate for an owner who commits a capital crime.

I have no problem with Mr. Sterling being forced out of the league! It shouldn't happen like this, however.

Racism is morally repulsive. It is evil. But you are right. The NBA commissioner is more about saving face than about making a responsible response. The free market would take care of Mr. Sterling's interest in the Clippers. As sponsors withdraw support and as fans stop attending games and as television refuses to broadcast Clippers' games due to the protest of their sponsors, Sterling would be forced to exit the NBA. That is the way it should happen. But this reaction is over-kill. The commissioner could have blasted Sterling and imposed penalties; but he went too far. This kind of reaction would be appropriate for an owner who commits a capital crime.

I have no problem with Mr. Sterling being forced out of the league! It shouldn't happen like this, however.

I don't understand the difference. Sponsors pulled out. Players threatened action. Fans threatened action. The league responded to the free market.

Back