• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

well said, Kareem (Donald Sterling discussion thread)

It's not every day that a major sports league punishes an owner. More than you think.

Do you think this is a bigger story than Bundy?

• November 1974: George Steinbrenner, Yankees (MLB). Indicted on 14 criminal counts for making illegal contributions to Richard Nixon's presidential campaign in 1972. Pleaded guilty to two -- making illegal campaign contributions and obstruction -- and was fined $20,000. Commissioner Bowie Kuhn suspended him from baseball for two years, but the punishment was later reduced by nine months, allowing Steinbrenner back for the 1976 season.

• January 1977: Ted Turner, Braves (MLB). Fined and suspended for one year (Turner appealed the suspension) for tampering with pending free agent Gary Matthews.

• July 1990: Steinbrenner. Outfielder Dave Winfield sued Steinbrenner for failing to pay the Winfield Foundation the $300,000 guaranteed in his contract. Steinbrenner then paid notorious gambler Howie Spira $40,000 for information on Winfield. On July 30, 1990, Commissioner Fay Vincent banned Steinbrenner from running the Yankees for life. Two years later, Vincent allowed Steinbrenner to return for the 1993 season.

• February 1993: Marge Schott, Reds (MLB). Suspended one year (reduced to eight months for good behavior) and fined $25,000 by the game's executive council for bringing "disrepute and embarrassment" to the sport by using ethnic and racial slurs.

• July 1996: Schott. Suspended by MLB through the 1998 season (she sold team when she faced another suspension upon her return) after making laudatory comments about Adolf Hitler and using racial slurs.

• March 1999: Eddie DeBartolo, 49ers (NFL). Suspended for the 1999 season and fined $1 million after he pleaded guilty to a felony in a gambling scandal in Louisiana.

• December 2000: Glen Taylor, Timberwolves (NBA). Salary-cap violation for "under the table" deal with Joe Smith. The team was fined $3.5 million and stripped of five first-round picks (later reduced to three). Taylor was suspended through end of August 2001, During which time he was not allowed to attend games, negotiate contracts or speak with media.

• November 2009: Bud Adams, Titans (NFL). Fined $250,000 for making an obscene gesture at Bills fans.

• July 2010: Dan Gilbert, Cavaliers (NBA): Fined $100,000 for writing an open letter to fans about LeBron James.

• September 2011: Michael Jordan, Bobcats (NBA): Fined $100,000 for talking about the NBA lockout.

• October 2011: Micky Arison, Heat (NBA): Fined $500,000 for tweeting about the lockout.

• January 2014: Mark Cuban, Mavericks (NBA): Fined $100,000 for confronting referees after a loss. Cuban has been fined several other times for similar incidents, with the total amount believed to be $2 million.

• April 2014 - Donald Sterling, Clippers (NBA): Banned from the Clippers and the NBA for life for making racist comments and fined $2.5 million, the maximum allowed under league's constitution.

Of all of these, Bud Adams was the best. As anyone who has been to Ralph Wilson Stadium after Columbus day can attest. The fans are full of anti-freeze.

Reff, you've come up with 13, 12 in my lifetime, most were pretty minor. That's newsworthy.

Who is the tagger who hasn't been following the news? "who the f is bundy"

well said, Kareem

I honestly don't have any idea who this Bundy guy is. He's some racist tea party person, right? That's all I got.

Last edited:
And I finally just read Kareem's full quote. It was perfection. I couldn't agree with him more.

This may be difficult for you to believe PhDeac but I could not care less about protecting elitist wealthy white guys and their fortunes. And,I hate racism...believe it or not.

However the "thought police" is another thing. You should be as concerned about that as I am. As long as the "thought police" share your ideology it is easy to excuse; but when they stand in determined opposition to your ideology and perspective it is another thing entirely. Policing thoughts and words should be repulsive to us all.

That said, I can see the legitimacy of Mr. Sterling's "club" exercising its own law to deal with one of its members. They were protecting their common interest and property.

jaguars-fan-cant-believe-it-nfl-fan-gifs.gif

This is pure speculation on my part, but I got the sense from some of Silver's comments yesterday that the NBA has hated Sterling for a long time and they finally got the concrete proof they needed/wanted to get rid of him.

Ron Wellman and Jeff Buzzkill to the Clippers in order to perform a culture change.

This is pure speculation on my part, but I got the sense from some of Silver's comments yesterday that the NBA has hated Sterling for a long time and they finally got the concrete proof they needed/wanted to get rid of him.

Seems there's a Mr. Limbaugh who suggests this goes much deeper...

A few conservative pundits on Tuesday furthered a conspiracy theory that someone, possibly Magic Johnson, set up Los Angeles Clippers owner Donald Sterling's racist rant in order to buy the team.

"Whoever set this up is really good. They covered every base. They've got the media wrapped around their little finger," Limbaugh said.

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/conspiracy-theory-sterling-set-up

Wait my GENIUS conspiracy theory is a Conservative blowhard talking point?

NOOOOOOO

Wait my GENIUS conspiracy theory is a Conservative blowhard talking point?

NOOOOOOO

o shit.

I'm gonna listen to yesterday's archived show, hahahaha, this is hilarious. Great minds?

Listening to the show the first person to mention this theory is a black caller to the show...

I agree with Sterling's punishment, but I'm interested to see how/if this precedent is used the next time Ray Felton is arrested on felony gun charges, Kendrick Perkins is charged with assault, Dante Cunningham is arrested for choking his wife, Terrence Jones physically assaults a sleeping homeless person, or Zach Randolph gets arrested yet again for one of his numerous crimes.

I agree that the NBA should take its "no racists allowed" stance, but it's tough to maintain that with a straight face while taking a "violent criminals welcome here" stance.

I'm pretty sure the CBA states the NBA can't punish someone for getting arrested.

I agree with Sterling's punishment, but I'm interested to see how/if this precedent is used the next time Ray Felton is arrested on felony gun charges, Kendrick Perkins is charged with assault, Dante Cunningham is arrested for choking his wife, Terrence Jones physically assaults a sleeping homeless person, or Zach Randolph gets arrested yet again for one of his numerous crimes.

I agree that the NBA should take its "no racists allowed" stance, but it's tough to maintain that with a straight face while taking a "violent criminals welcome here" stance.

Cunningham was suspended for the first event. Felton's case hasn't made it to court. Here's the policy:

'The NBA or its teams doesn’t discipline or suspend players for off-court legal matters until the legal process is finalized, which conceivably could play out longer than Cunningham remains a Timberwolf. His contract — at a $2.2 million annual salary — expires after this season and he will be a restricted free agent in July."

But let reality of the system get in your way.

Of course the great irony here is 2&2 is named after and defends a man who killed someone while driving drunk.

NBA players also have short term contracts. Owners do not. If they were leasing the franchise, I could see a comparison.

Back