• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wellman As The Head Of The NCAA Tourney Selection Committee

Pilchard

Reaction score
Will be very interested to see how RW handles the press when he is defending the tourney selections. It's one thing to make condescending statements to the small and innocuous press corps that covers WF. Think that it may be a different story with the big league press that scrutinizes NCAA selections. If there is a controversial team left out or put in, I don't see the "Oh heavens yes" type of comments cutting it.

Maybe, Wellman will skate because there won't be any massive controversies, but if there is major f-up by the selection committee, will be interesting to see how RW handles himself and how the national press reacts.

:popcorn:

Last edited:
He had some pretty "golly gee whiz" interviews last year... Fortunately (for him) it's exactly the type of position that allows you to speak in generalities and hide behind a veil of secrecy because of the nature of the closed door deliberations.

But maybe they'll fuck someone over this year and that will change.

It's a stronger bubble this year than last (every year isn't a "soft bubble" despite what the experts would lend you to believe) so I could see there being more controversy this time 'round

"Mr. Wellman- how does it make you feel that you're the head of the selection committee and yet the only two times you hear the words 'Wake Forest' are in the context of 'bad losses for Duke and UNC?"

"Uh, next question..."

I still don't understand why a group of athletic directors have to take time out of doing their actual job in order to seed and schedule the tournament.

Who else should do it? Let me guess, sociology professors?

Anybody can do it. There are several ratings systems out there. I'm sure someone could come up with a computer program to spit out scenarios based on ratings, geography, and other concerns.

A computer can't evaluate where to seed Kansas based on how they play without Embiid right now. Right now, that's a major focus of the human evaluations in the committee. Too many subjective variables.

A computer can't evaluate where to seed Kansas based on how they play without Embiid right now. Right now, that's a major focus of the human evaluations in the committee. Too many subjective variables.

Why do those humans need to be athletic directors?

Doesn't need to. I was addressing the concept of using computers. I don't know what inherent to the job of an AD necessarily qualifies them more than anyone else. I could easily see the media having a major role in addition to or instead of ADs.

When he got placed on the committee Wake was a perennial basketball contender and he had recently been named the top AD in the country (by my former employer, FOR SHAME).

I don't think he'd make the committee nowadays

Remember when we thought his committee membership would be an advantage?

Doesn't need to. I was addressing the concept of using computers. I don't know what inherent to the job of an AD necessarily qualifies them more than anyone else. I could easily see the media having a major role in addition to or instead of ADs.

It has to be AD's because the conferences want representation there. It's all about conference politics, that's why they have set up the same system for the college football play off.

It's a stronger bubble this year than last (every year isn't a "soft bubble" despite what the experts would lend you to believe) so I could see there being more controversy this time 'round

Please let there be controversy....so the rest of the nation can see who is "ramrodding" our athletic program.....:mad:

FWIW, RW has been receiving media training by CBS in preparation for the selection show interview since the fall.

damn i was hoping for a tick tock in this thread

FWIW, RW has been receiving media training by CBS in preparation for the selection show interview since the fall.

Any training programs exist he can attend on how not to be a pompous jackass and alienate 75% of his stakeholders?

Back