• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wellman email ... Bzz staying

ROOOOOOAAAAARRRRRRRR. I wish we had a President with balls. #BzzOut #WellmanOut #HatchOut #EverybodyOut #HashtagsIn

This whole "culture" concept is beginning to really creep me out. RW sounds pompous and elitist...and mostly like an old fart who's out of touch with the current state of college basketball. "Culture"? BLECH.

I can't believe he has the hubris to tell us that four players prematurely leaving the program (none of which go to the NBA) in one year is somehow normal in college basketball.

I really hope this is just about money and that RW is just "saying all the right things". I mean, as an AD, you have to publicly support your coaches right up to the moment you fire them. Still, RW should be able to say all those right things without coming off like he's got his head in the sand.

This sums it all up:

Jeff [Redacted]'s Coaching Record in the last 5 years:
100 Losses, 5 straight losing seasons
He is 15-65 in Conference Play
His teams have finished last ( tied for last once) in the conference 4 of 5 years
His teams have been 1-15 in the conference 2 times
2007-2008 12-20 (conference 3-13)
2008-2009 9-22 (conference 1-15)
2009-2010 15-16 (conference 6-10)
2010-2011 8-24 (conference 1-15)
2011-2012 13-18 (conference 4-12)
2 Years at Wake: 7 scholarship players have transferred
Player retention rate: 2010 Class: 1/5: 20%/ 2011 Class 2/3: 67%

Last edited:
I really like the line about "no players were run off", I mean yeah they're leaving because they don't like [Redacted] not the other way around, isn't that more the problem?

Iraqi Information Minister. Fire them both. Fire Ron twice for thinking we're all idiots.

This sums it all up:

Jeff [Redacted]'s Coaching Record in the last 5 years:
100 Losses, 5 straight losing seasons
He is 15-65 in Conference Play
His teams have finished last ( tied for last once) in the conference 4 of 5 years
His teams have been 1-15 in the conference 2 times
2007-2008 12-20 (conference 3-13)
2008-2009 9-22 (conference 1-15)
2009-2010 15-16 (conference 6-10)
2010-2011 8-24 (conference 1-15)
2011-2012 13-18 (conference 4-12)
2 Years at Wake: 7 scholarship players have transferred
Player retention rate: 2010 Class: 1/5: 25%/ 2011 Class 1/2: 50%

Please send this to Wellman -- in response to his letter, of course.
Succinct and undeniable.

Though I'd check some of those numbers....

(1/5 = 20%, and the 2011 class had three players)

This. I just can't believe this is real. If it is, there really are no words. If it is fake, we just got trollllllled.

The OP could be a fake, I assume, but it's very, very similar in content and wording to a reply I got from RW when I wrote him about my concerns.

Didn't Kitchin confirm it? I know there are at least a couple of Deacon Club Board members that at least peruse the boards and can verify.

NEW THEORY that I came up with Thursday night when talking to my buddy that doesn't post.

Wellman approached the BOT with [Redacted]'s name after firing Dino. They, understandably, knew fuck all about him so they had Wellman pitch him to them. Then they did some research on him on their own.

They had doubts, but told Wellman that if he wanted [Redacted], then he would have to put his own ass on the line for him.

This email makes me think that is a very real possibility. Wellman feels like his job is tied to [Redacted]'s success, so he will keep doubling down on him until they are both fired.

Board of Trustees, do them the honor and send them on their way.

Ron Wellman can eat a dick. Condescending asshole.

Why does he list the programs that have been successful with high turnover then go on to say "but every program is unique?"

The AD's job should be tied to the success of the coaches he hires.

I finally get it. Culture = [Redacted].

If you don't buy into the "culture" ([Redacted]), you transfer. If you don't buy into the "culture" ([Redacted]), you don't understand Wake's best interest. If you don't buy into the "culture" ([Redacted]), you need to stay patient because it will lead to success. Where is Subliminal Man when you need him?

Also, I look forward to keep hearing about how we are sacrificing wins in the short-term for success in the long-term. For how many years do we need to hear that before the long-term sucks? I'd say we are there already.

Lastly, this would be a perfect opportunity for a resurrection of JohnTheNotBaptist. He needs to annotate this e-mail, pronto.

Back