• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wellman Message to the Deacon Club

stonz

Reaction score
Message from Ron Wellman

4/3/2013

Dear Deacon Club members,

At the end of every season, we always review the year with our coaches. There is much interest in the status of our men’s basketball program and how we will return to a championship caliber program. Let me share my thoughts about our vision for the program, where we are today and our expectations for the future.

Our goals for our basketball program have never wavered. It is our expectation to have a sustainable championship-caliber program. Our win-loss record the last few years has not been what we want or expect. However, building a sustainable championship caliber program takes a certain approach. There are no shortcuts nor should there be at Wake Forest. The foundation must be strong for a championship program to emerge. That foundation has been established.

When we become a championship program again, it will be the result of the decisions that have been made by Jeff [Redacted] and his staff during their time with us. The primary factor that will lead us to success are student-athletes who are not only outstanding players but also good students; good citizens who relate to our student body and fans, and are committed to achieving excellence both on and off the court. Our players have those qualities. There are many reasons to be encouraged about our future but at the top of the list are our returning players. They are fine representatives of our program and university. And they happen to be very good basketball players. They are the foundation upon which we will continue to build our program.

Future recruits will also contribute to our success. They will play important roles for us and, again, are individuals who our students and fans will embrace. Our team chemistry that was evident this year will continue to be a positive force with the additions to our team over the next couple years.

Our players will continue to develop and improve through hard work and dedication just as they did throughout this season. This year 60% of our minutes were played by freshmen. We have not found another team that played freshmen so many minutes. The next highest percentage in the ACC was Georgia Tech with their freshmen playing just over 40% of their minutes. Miami, the ACC regular season and tournament champion, played their freshmen only 4% of the total minutes. Additionally, the top teams in the country generally played their freshmen minimal minutes. Experience does matter. Our freshmen gained valuable experience this year that will pay dividends in future years.

One of the trademarks of a young team is difficulty winning on the road. That was certainly evident with our team. We had some good wins at home (Xavier, Virginia, No. 18 NC State and No. 2 Miami). We also played well against other teams but did not finish those games (Duke, Georgia Tech, Seton Hall, and road games at Richmond, Boston College and Virginia Tech). As we mature, we will learn to finish those games both at home and on the road.

This year our team improved its home record with an 11-5 mark after having been 9-7 and 7-12 the last two years. A major factor in that improvement was the home court advantage that our fans established with their enthusiasm and passion. Our student attendance increased 55% from the previous year. We want to continue to grow our student attendance which we will do as our players continue to make positive contributions on campus.

It’s not only students who provided the improved atmosphere at the Joel. Our fans helped to motivate the team through their boisterous support that played a major part in winning a number of home games this year. In fact, our overall attendance increased 11% this year. Our fans are adopting this team and will continue to be a positive influence on the outcome of our games.

Next year we will return to our historical competitiveness. To do that we will need to be tough to beat at home and win more road games. That will require physical and mental toughness from everyone on our team. Our players will rise to meet that challenge through the training that they will receive in the off-season.

In future years, we will challenge for ACC Championships and advance to the NCAA Tournament. With the direction of our program, there is every reason to expect that to happen in the near future. Ultimately, we are determined to win ACC Championships and advance deep into the NCAA Tournament. Those are all realistic goals that our program is building to achieve.

The foundation has been established to return to our historical competitiveness and future championships. I look forward to continuing the journey with you next year!

Go Deacs!

Ron Wellman

lol historical competitiveness. whatever.

How nice of Wellman to send a transcript of every interview he's done so far.

FUCK ME!!! Same shit different day. It looks like Buzz is here to stay after next year. Unless the BOT comes down on him, he will keep Buzz have the 8 man class be Junior and Seniors, sniff the NCAAT then probably retire leaving us in dumpster fire status again.

When we become a championship program again, it will be the result of the decisions that have been made by Jeff [Redacted] and his staff during their time with us.

Bullshit. [Redacted]'s decisions are the reason we're not a championship program now. I can't believe how much Wellman continues to throw Skip and Dino under the bus.

An 8 man class of mostly role players is quite possibly the shakiest foundation I can imagine.

"Historically Competitive" makes its ugly appearance again. I need examples of positive data and facts as signs of progress versus negative data to support excuses.

WAKE Up Wellman!
#WellmanOut
www.firebz.com.

Let's go billboard!

Last edited:
Just a rehash from last week's talking points, but the ability to highlight the minimal positives and completely cover up and not address the glaring negatives continue to be disturbing.

Also, if we have established a benchmark of "historical competitiveness," this should mean results that are consistent with the historical results attained under Odom, Prosser, and Gaudio. This to me means a winning percentage of greater than .600 is the expectation for next year. With this established, there is no basis for a Bz return if we perform at .500 or lower once again, as the foundation for future success argument has no weight.

Blah, blah, blah...historical competitiveness.
Blah, blah, blah...historical competitiveness.

Go Deacs!

RW

Wellman will not be the one to get rid of [Redacted]. I think he really believes all the crap he's spewing, and the only way to change that is to get rid of him.

It's unfortunately, really. I liked him a lot until this debacle. But this is crazy.

When we become a championship program again, it will be the result of the decisions that have been made by Jeff [Redacted] and his staff during their time with us.
Interesting. Sounds like RW knows Jeff won't be the coach when we become a championship program again.

We also played well against other teams but did not finish those games (Duke, Georgia Tech, Seton Hall, and road games at Richmond, Boston College and Virginia Tech).
No we did not.

Dear Ron,
Fuck you.

Thanks for nothing,
LK

I don't trust the little fucker further than I could throw him. Same ol' crap, different day.

...and the 11% rise in attendance. He cant really believe that.

Back