• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wellman Playing Tricky Hand - ACC Sports Journal

Seems they don't have a clue anymore. When I was in school, Garth Brooks played there two nights in a row. Why can't they get big (contemporary) acts like that anymore?

I read an article about this exact question recently. According to the article its because the contracts that larger acts sign with arenas/venues usually have a clause that prevent them from performed a show within X number of miles of the arena for X number of days/weeks/months. Based on the usual contract, acts usually play Charlotte and Raleigh. For the most part, if a large act plays Greensboro or Winston, they can't play at Charlotte/Raleigh. Even acts that only want to play one NC show are going to prefer Charlotte or Raleigh, and even if they elect to forego those two cities they are more likely to play Greensboro than Winston. Winston-Salem gets left out in the cold a lot apparently.

I make no representations regarding the accuracy of the above facts, but I do know that its a pretty accurate summary of what I read.

The disadvantage of the Joel's size is that in relatively close proximity we have a small venue like Ziggys, and a larger arena in the Greensboro Coliseum. In order for the Joel to attract talent, it would have to be mid level artists. Those are generally opening up for larger acts in larger venues.

Events like the PBR generally do well, as did the Davis Cup a few years back. With the new tennis complex though, I doubt we'll see tennis inside the Joel again.

Ph is right that we shouldn't just reduce the seating capacity for the sake of reducing seating capacity. And as much as the Goat fans in baby blue are annoying, I'm not sure what we can do to keep them out. Especially in the years we're good, a good number of those people are in corporate seats - not much you can do about that.

What we could potentially do is add more premium seating. Cut off one end of the upper deck like the Liacouras Center at Temple, which I believe was modeled after the Joel, or the Cintas Center. You could add in more luxury boxes and maybe a restaurant in that space.

That could move the corporate types in their baby blue up into the boxes. It might also allow us to put in a student section along one side of the court. You could also put the media up there and make more room for premium seating on the floor. All of these things could potentially bring in more revenue while at the same time reducing seating capacity overall and creating a better game day experience.

Of course the point is moot if Wellman isn't going to put forth the effort to get a winning product on the floor.

3,000 extra seats is an extra $100,000 dollars in revenue per game when they're full, plus concessions and parking. How much money should we spend removing them?

3,000 extra seats is an extra $100,000 dollars in revenue per game when they're full, plus concessions and parking. How much money should we spend removing them?

...of carolina fans. Yeah, I know, we filled it up a few years with Skip, but things are obviously different now. Plus, all the talk about attendance being down around the league; as has been discussed in other threads, the age of HDTV and tons of TV exposure for programs may lead to long term lower attendance. So, we would probably lose some money about three times a year when playing local rivals, and those seats are empty the rest of the year, anyway. If we are going to spend the money, might as well make it something that actually fits our fanbase.

...of carolina fans. Yeah, I know, we filled it up a few years with Skip, but things are obviously different now. Plus, all the talk about attendance being down around the league; as has been discussed in other threads, the age of HDTV and tons of TV exposure for programs may lead to long term lower attendance. So, we would probably lose some money about three times a year when playing local rivals, and those seats are empty the rest of the year, anyway. If we are going to spend the money, might as well make it something that actually fits our fanbase.

In a good year you're talking about $1 million in revenue. I don't know if it's right or wrong, but it's a lot of money to our athletic department.

Back