• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wellman Retiring; Currie New AD

Mary Lawrence grandparents were great friends and two great Deacon fans. Nobody better than Jack and Ginger.

I do have this question for the boards:

Let's say Currie comes in and replaces Manning with a big name coach in the next few weeks. Smart, Oats, Matta, even Few. Then, 3 years from now the basketball team is bottom third of the ACC and not poised to enter the NCAAT, but every other sport is about where it is today. Is Currie a failure in this hypothetical scenario?

Alternatively let's say he goes hard for all of the names mentioned as great hires but they all go elsewhere or decline to leave their current gigs and has to settle for a less desirable basketball HC. What then?

Yes. Making a flashy hire doesn’t mean shit if you get it wrong.

It depends. Settling for a “less desirable” basketball HC doesn’t mean shit if you settle for the right one.

Also redemption is an incredibly powerful motivator so I’m sure Currie is anxious to make a big move to show the world.

If he wanted to redeem himself he should have nut punched hatch and wellman for waiting 5 years too late for this press conference.

I like Ron. I think he's a super stand up guy and has served Wake well. I wish his exit could have been under better conditions in a sport so many people care deeply about, but that just isn't how it worked out. To that I say "oh well, great job overall" and move on. If I were in a hot tub or sauna with Ron I'd be happy to see him. I'd do normal grown up things like ask him how things are going, ask about his kids and grand kids, and wish him well on the way out.

Hopefully Currie will do wonderfully and will get to see coaches he hires and manages win lots of championships while those teams represent WFU well. I'm looking forward to seeing him again as I haven't run into him since we were both in Knoxville.

Good talk, Russ.

Jesus Christ.

Non-alum here. I never left because I am not your typical Walolina fan. I'm going to be a fan during good times and bad times...but these last 9 years were brutal. Don't know what the timeframe is on decision-making JC will have immediately but if he really wanted to make a splash he could go ahead and fire Danny after getting drubbed by Duke tomorrow and let Randolph finish whats left. This rabid fanbase has been shit on for 9 years. We're tired.

C'mon JC....do it!!

Mary Lawrence grandparents were great friends and two great Deacon fans. Nobody better than Jack and Ginger.

One of my favorite pairs to hang with for sure

3479961832fe16ccb3a06cd45424b6b3.gif

I like Ron. I think he's a super stand up guy and has served Wake well. I wish his exit could have been under better conditions in a sport so many people care deeply about, but that just isn't how it worked out. To that I say "oh well, great job overall" and move on. If I were in a hot tub or sauna with Ron I'd be happy to see him. I'd do normal grown up things like ask him how things are going, ask about his kids and grand kids, and wish him well on the way out.

Hopefully Currie will do wonderfully and will get to see coaches he hires and manages win lots of championships while those teams represent WFU well. I'm looking forward to seeing him again as I haven't run into him since we were both in Knoxville.

Good talk, Russ.

Just in case anyone wonders why Wake had to experience the last 9 years.

Has the ABC Store near campus run out of booze yet?

See above. Additionally, I spend most of my time asking organizations "who do you want to be when you grow up" and then helping them put together strategy to achieve that vision. Lots of times their vision is WAY out of bounds for their culture, backbone, etc. Be interesting to see how it goes at WF for the basketball lovers.

You know, it is possible to enjoy seeing a process happen without being invested in it's outcome... I already have two real answers, and they're both super interesting.

LJlg2rz.jpg

Good talk, Russ.

Plot twist: Ron licks his lips and then goes in for a bear hug, while saying "Russ I would like to thank you for all your support for me over the years, I think of you as someone I am very close with."
How does this play out? Go:

Yeah anyone who would be "happy" to be in a hot tub with Ron Wellman is a person with whom I don't want to associate.

Plot twist: Ron licks his lips and then goes in for a bear hug, while saying "Russ I would like to thank you for all your support for me over the years, I think of you as someone I am very close with."
How does this play out? Go:

I really don't get the Ron hate. I'm pretty sure he's done the exact job WFU has directed him to do.

I really don't get the Ron hate. I'm pretty sure he's done the exact job WFU has directed him to do.

Umm, what? He's the Athletic Director. The most important part of his job is to make Wake's flagship program as successful as possible. He turned it into a dumpster fire. Who at WFU "directed" him to do that?

I feel like you may be trolling, but can't really tell.

I'm sure our new AD is anxiously awaiting RJ's increased contributions.

Umm, what? He's the Athletic Director. The most important part of his job is to make Wake's flagship program as successful as possible. He turned it into a dumpster fire. Who at WFU "directed" him to do that?

I feel like you may be trolling, but can't really tell.

The same old “culture” BS coming in three, two, one ...

If I were in a hot tub or sauna with Ron I'd be happy to see him.

That's just odd...like Jaybone level odd.

Why the hell is a hot tub/sauna the first thing that comes to mind rather than a restaurant or grocery store?

Last edited:
Back