• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wellman Retiring; Currie New AD

Championships was four I believe. Student athlete experience was one - so facilities and leveraging the great academics. Two was value to university and community.

Any chance this opens the door for Reid Sigmon's return to Wake?

For the first time in my entire life Ron Wellman will not be running Wake Forest Athletics.

giphy.gif

Last edited:
Hate to be a stick in the mud, negative Nancy here, but I don't think he will fire Danny this year.

I don't think anyone had the balls to ask about the elephant in the room. At the end I saw the Danny was there...that was probably why. Awkward.

To clarify a bit ... We got about 45 minutes for a roundtable discussion with Currie after all of the pomp and circumstance. Got about 20 minutes of sit-down interview time with Ron. That was more the setting for the basketball-related questions. I'm digging into transcribing the interviews now, obviously there will be tons of content from myself and Les up in the next few days.

I'd love to tell yall that they both told us a clear plan for the basketball program, but that just wasn't going to happen. Wellman was as clear as he's going to get by saying something along the lines of "it has to improve, it has to get better." And Currie dodged questions about basketball with the same elusiveness he's shown both times I've asked him about how his Tennessee tenure ended (yesterday on the phone and one of those fucking questions Stan Gable refers to).

Hate to be a stick in the mud, negative Nancy here, but I don't think he will fire Danny this year.

I hope you’re wrong. It is inconceivable to bring Manning back at this point and would be an extraordinary move for a new AD to make a decision that he knows would be universally reviled.

If DM is still around after this season, then we’ll know Hatch is effectively our AD.

I'd be very surprised if Currie would the job without having final say so on Danny.

I hope you’re wrong. It is inconceivable to bring Manning back at this point and would be an extraordinary move for a new AD to make a decision that he knows would be universally reviled.

correct. however, i get the negativity, we've been through a decade of shit so anything positive for basketball is met with great skepticism.
think for a second though. would a new AD come in with a coach as bad as manning and keep him on his watch? especially since that's the biggest gripe from fan base? unless this is all a big ruse where currie is wellman's flunkie and is going to troll the fan base for decades to come - manning is out.

correct. however, i get the negativity, we've been through a decade of shit so anything positive for basketball is met with great skepticism.
think for a second though. would a new AD come in with a coach as bad as manning and keep him on his watch? especially since that's the biggest gripe from fan base? unless this is all a big ruse where currie is wellman's flunkie and is going to troll the fan base for decades to come - manning is out.

I agree with all of this and firmly believe that Currie would not have taken the job with the intention of keeping Manning. However, sportsnut has been well-informed in the past.

Back