• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wellman Retiring; Currie New AD

I do have this question for the boards:

Let's say Currie comes in and replaces Manning with a big name coach in the next few weeks. Smart, Oats, Matta, even Few. Then, 3 years from now the basketball team is bottom third of the ACC and not poised to enter the NCAAT, but every other sport is about where it is today. Is Currie a failure in this hypothetical scenario?

Alternatively let's say he goes hard for all of the names mentioned as great hires but they all go elsewhere or decline to leave their current gigs and has to settle for a less desirable basketball HC. What then?

I expect the process to be sound, whatever the result. Hire the best choice we can get (and preferably manage the process so that most folks don't have any idea who we could or couldn't get). If that doesn't work, can that coach and start over.

Don't turf a winning coach for a Jeff Fucking [Redacted]. Don't piss on everyone with the "couldn't be happier nonsense." Don't have the shadow rumors about a winning coach to justify why sucking is ok. And have some sense of how to negotiate contracts on both sides- don't be too cheap to pay for talent, but don't overpay for a middling (or worse) coach.

Maybe it's because I don't care whether Wake even has a basketball team or not, but I will think back on Ron's tenure at Wake in a very positive manner. Basketball aside, it's been hugely successful. That's plenty good for me.

I do have this question for the boards:

Let's say Currie comes in and replaces Manning with a big name coach in the next few weeks. Smart, Oats, Matta, even Few. Then, 3 years from now the basketball team is bottom third of the ACC and not poised to enter the NCAAT, but every other sport is about where it is today. Is Currie a failure in this hypothetical scenario?

Alternatively let's say he goes hard for all of the names mentioned as great hires but they all go elsewhere or decline to leave their current gigs and has to settle for a less desirable basketball HC. What then?

if you don't care whether WF has a basketball program or not, I wonder why you care enough to ask these questions

Currie's wife going by Mary Lawrence is perhaps the most Wake Forest thing ever

This gig gonna feel like a holiday compared to managing those rubes in Tennesse.

Is there a chance Currie would be interviewed during the FSU game? I feel like that has happened when other schools changed athletic directors. Would be interesting if he was interviewed at the after 4:00 timeout while we were down 30-13.

Who thinks Currie has been reading Wake Boards for a long time. Hard to believe a Wake man and avid follower of college sports has not. My money is he has followed all the shit here.

I liked Currie’s energy and presence during the press conference. It’s a cursory introduction so short of having Matta walk out with him to the podium there’s only so much he’s going to do to blow people away. I hope guitardeac’s prediction holds true because the early years of his tenure will be judged almost entirely based on this hire.

if you don't care whether WF has a basketball program or not, I wonder why you care enough to ask these questions

See above. Additionally, I spend most of my time asking organizations "who do you want to be when you grow up" and then helping them put together strategy to achieve that vision. Lots of times their vision is WAY out of bounds for their culture, backbone, etc. Be interesting to see how it goes at WF for the basketball lovers.

You know, it is possible to enjoy seeing a process happen without being invested in it's outcome... I already have two real answers, and they're both super interesting.

Also redemption is an incredibly powerful motivator so I’m sure Currie is anxious to make a big move to show the world.

If you were to write a short story about you and RW, would you like to start the scene in the sauna or in the hot tub?

I like Ron. I think he's a super stand up guy and has served Wake well. I wish his exit could have been under better conditions in a sport so many people care deeply about, but that just isn't how it worked out. To that I say "oh well, great job overall" and move on. If I were in a hot tub or sauna with Ron I'd be happy to see him. I'd do normal grown up things like ask him how things are going, ask about his kids and grand kids, and wish him well on the way out.

Hopefully Currie will do wonderfully and will get to see coaches he hires and manages win lots of championships while those teams represent WFU well. I'm looking forward to seeing him again as I haven't run into him since we were both in Knoxville.

Good talk, Russ.

Currie's wife going by Mary Lawrence is perhaps the most Wake Forest thing ever

And if the early 90’s Wake gods weren’t already smiling down... just hopped into my car to pick up my daughter from school and Toad The Wet Sprocket was playing on XM Lithium. It’s happening...

Back