• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wellman/Seth Greenberg feud?

Enjoy reading Feinstein, and I have met him on multiple occasions. Could not be a nicer guy. Always willing to talk any subject. He may give you an opinion that you don't like, but he is always willing to share his thoughts and tell stories. Never seen him big time any person.

Have no idea if there are any simmering hard feelings between Wellman and Seth, but the idea that Wellman played no role in ACC teams making or not making the tournament because he "is out of the room" when ACC teams are discussed is laughable. Every year, an undeserving team gets in (or some deserving team gets left out) due to the make up of the committee. A few years ago, the commissioner of the MWC headed the committee and of course, an undeserving MWC team received a bid. That's how the process works.

That wasn't a personal, defensive reaction at all.

Feinstein's analysis on a variety of subjects is consistently off-base.

He's the guy who brought up the race card when Shanahan benched McNabb last year, and he also firmly believes that soccer is not a sport (and I'm not sure he could be more of an asshole about it if he tried). He's also had petty, ridiculous feuds with Michael Wilbon and Scott Van Pelt, two of the more likable guys on ESPN imo.

I read A Good Walk Spoiled, and I enjoyed it despite his analysis. There is a big difference between being a good writer and being a good analyst.

Quoting myself since we moved to a new page before I got my edits in. Seriously people, watch that soccer video, and tell me he's not an asshole. You don't even need to like soccer.

He is a major asshole. I remember he spoke at the banquet before the bowl in DC, and said how these teams had little talent but played the game the right way. The players were absolutely pissed that he said they sucked. Feinstein even said Wake and Navy won't have anyone drafted. Keep in mind that 4 months later Curry went top 5. I've always found him to be a good writer, but he has a huge ego.

His argument against soccer is laughably terrible.

It really is... One of the most moronic sports-related arguments I've ever heard a professional make.

Shoot-outs & the 3-pt shot were both adopted by the upper professional levels of their respective sports in the same decade ('70s)

I'd like to hear somebody make the argument in 2012 that basketball is not a sport since a game can be decided by a 3-pointer, something that isn't really a part of the game.

Seth is just a whiner and has to rationalize to himself & the Hokie faithful that they are getting dumped on when they do not get into the NCAA. Well guess what--he won't have to worry about it this year.

Besides when you play nobody, beat nobody except a couple upsets in your own covference, the NCAA ain't gonna reward you [ see NC State this year unless they get to 10-6 ].

Golf is a good walk spoiled
taking about this ahole is a good thread spoiled

Seth is just a whiner and has to rationalize to himself & the Hokie faithful that they are getting dumped on when they do not get into the NCAA. Well guess what--he won't have to worry about it this year.

Besides when you play nobody, beat nobody except a couple upsets in your own covference, the NCAA ain't gonna reward you [ see NC State this year unless they get to 10-6 ].

NC State has played Vandy, Texas, Indiana, Stanford and Syracuse. Thats a pretty good non-conference schedule in my book. I think if they have a +.500 record in the ACC and win one game in the tournament, then they are a lock for the dance

NC State has played Vandy, Texas, Indiana, Stanford and Syracuse. Thats a pretty good non-conference schedule in my book. I think if they have a +.500 record in the ACC and win one game in the tournament, then they are a lock for the dance

I think this might be right but 9-7+ 1 ACCT win certainly isn't the lock that it used to be... KenPom has the ACC battling for the 5th spot in conference rankings with the Mountain West (& pretty solidly behind the B10, B12, Big East, and SEC).

I think this might be right but 9-7+ 1 ACCT win certainly isn't the lock that it used to be... KenPom has the ACC battling for the 5th spot in conference rankings with the Mountain West (& pretty solidly behind the B10, B12, Big East, and SEC).

I agree that its not what it was in 2004, but in NC State's case this year specifically i think it puts them in the dance

Enjoy reading Feinstein, and I have met him on multiple occasions. Could not be a nicer guy. Always willing to talk any subject. He may give you an opinion that you don't like, but he is always willing to share his thoughts and tell stories. Never seen him big time any person.

Have no idea if there are any simmering hard feelings between Wellman and Seth, but the idea that Wellman played no role in ACC teams making or not making the tournament because he "is out of the room" when ACC teams are discussed is laughable. Every year, an undeserving team gets in (or some deserving team gets left out) due to the make up of the committee. A few years ago, the commissioner of the MWC headed the committee and of course, an undeserving MWC team received a bid. That's how the process works.

He is a know-it-all asshole. He is a great writer...don't get me wrong. However, if he was half as smart as he thinks he is he would be running the world. He talks out of his ass all the time because as you said he is "always willing to talk about any subject". Well, sometimes there are subjects that you don't know near as much about as you think you know and you should probably stay silent.

I don't know the particulars, but I do know for a fact that there is no love loss between Seth Greenberg and the WF basketball dept.

I don't think Bz harbors any negative feelings, but anyone left over from the Skip & Dino days sure do. They dislike Seth as much as he dislikes them.

Made beating them this year sweeeeeeet.

I would somewhat equate finishing a soccer championship by shootout to determining who plays for the NCAA football championship by computer. You can argue that both methods don't make for a "true" champion, but that has nothing to do with whether or not it is a sport.

Gottfried totally revamped the schedule when he came in. Dropped a lot of schools that Sidney was playing and in order to enhance their schedule he set up games with better teams. Nice move on his part.

We, on the other hand, postponed the Skip Prosser Classic. Go figure.

Not even close. As a matter of fact, State could go 10-6 in the ACC and get left out. Right now, they have no wins over NCAA quality teams.

How many of those games did they win? More to a quality OOC schedule that simply scheduling good teams--- though that is a killer schedule.

NCSU needs one or two good ACC wins. They don't have one right now. In fact, they have an ugly loss to a terrible GT team. They look like a tourney team to me, but they have to have the wins to back it up.

Had never seen the Feinstein comment about soccer before. I had always appreciated him up to this point, and I guess I'll give him a pass on his idiotic comments and simply chalk it up to another stupid American who doesn't understand soccer.

Soccer can't be compared to any of the other professional sports in the US, or the world, frankly, for the several simple reasons. Unlike most american sports there are no "time-outs", no switching of situational rosters from the bench to the field of play and back, and the players make all the decisions and do all the communicating amongst themselves, on the field, while the game is going on. No other sport does that.

Can you imagine what American football would be like with limited substitutions, and no time outs? I'll tell you...by halftime most of the players would be tripping over their shoelaces with exhaustion, and the games would be decided by who fell down. Can you envision the NHL without line changes every 2-3 minutes? The list of comparisons goes on.

For me, the beauty of a PK shootout in soccer is that the players are given a fair chance to determine the outcome during overtime before the game disintegrates into sheer exhaustion. And in that way, a PK shootout is absolutely a perfect way to settle a scoreboard when two teams can't quite get it done. AND....as we know, in most int'l soccer leagues, ties and draws during non-championship scenarios are counted, so no one is cheated of their chance to succeed by an arbitrary event like a coin flip and ball possession.

While there are some aspects of soccer that have become "despicable" (diving), the essence of a soccer game is more sport than almost anything I can imagine in team sports for sure. I'm surprised Feinstein can't appreciate that.

Back