• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wellman - Southern accent?

IrishSlim

The Sultan of Swashbuckle
Reaction score
He's from Ohio. Does his accent qualify as "southern" or not? I'm torn. It's certainly of the people, for the people, and hokey as hell.

And no, I'm not a Yankee. I'm from the west. To quote Days of Thunder, I'm not really anything. So forgive my ignorance if this question evokes wrath.

He's from Ohio. Does his accent qualify as "southern" or not? I'm torn. It's certainly of the people, for the people, and hokey as hell.

And no, I'm not a Yankee. I'm from the west. To quote Days of Thunder, I'm not really anything. So forgive my ignorance if this question evokes wrath.

How could you not be? In the words of Donald Trump, this is HUGE!

You know, its perfectly legit to disagree with Wellman's decisions, but is it really necessary to be this petty. He's a decent man with a family just like the rest of us. I wish we did not have to be this small minded.

I've known plenty of people that have moved south and picked up slight "accents". A lot of it just has to do with regional diction and pace of speech.

There are also some parts of OH that are pretty damn rural and are essentially N. KY.

I've known plenty of people that have moved south and picked up slight "accents". A lot of it just has to do with regional diction and pace of speech.

There are also some parts of OH that are pretty damn rural and are essentially N. KY.

Also some parts that are basically NW. WV

Meh. My wife is from Boston and has lived int eh south since 1997. She has a much larger southern accent than I do (born in SC, grew up in TN)

You know, its perfectly legit to disagree with Wellman's decisions, but is it really necessary to be this petty. He's a decent man with a family just like the rest of us. I wish we did not have to be this small minded.

He has about $770k/year more for his family than most family men I know...

And I have to disagree: He's been actively baiting the Bzz-out folks with snide, folksy comments on the [Redacted] situation for almost two years now. There are trolls, yes, but for 800k a year, he should still return e-mails, still give his fanbase the courtesy of transparency, and actually try to rationalize the decisions he's making on a lot of our dimes.

My back-in-the-day Wellman story: I remember a few years ago, before they hired Rusty, I somewhat genuinely applied for the AC job to his WF email and he sent me back the nicest response that I've ever received on a "cold call." He's fallen quite a ways since then in my experience and in the experiences of countless others.

I'm sorry, but he's decent at his job, less decent in real life.

Oh, and plenty of Ohioans have southern accents. It's more subtle, but depending on where you're from in OH, it's not unheard of...

He has about $770k/year more for his family than most family men I know...

And I have to disagree: He's been actively baiting the Bzz-out folks with snide, folksy comments on the [Redacted] situation for almost two years now. There are trolls, yes, but for 800k a year, he should still return e-mails, still give his fanbase the courtesy of transparency, and actually try to rationalize the decisions he's making on a lot of our dimes.

My back-in-the-day Wellman story: I remember a few years ago, before they hired Rusty, I somewhat genuinely applied for the AC job to his WF email and he sent me back the nicest response that I've ever received on a "cold call." He's fallen quite a ways since then in my experience and in the experiences of countless others.

I'm sorry, but he's decent at his job, less decent in real life.

Oh, and plenty of Ohioans have southern accents. It's more subtle, but depending on where you're from in OH, it's not unheard of...

If we were winning you would have no problem with his salary. He's actively baiting pissed off fans? Come on now. And what makes you think he stopped responding to emails? Surely there are many of them right now and most are overly negative and not worth dignifying with a response. This has always been the way he operates. The only difference is right now we are losing.

I just find it entertaining that no one had these issues before the team started losing. Now he is a less decent person. Now he has a fake accent. Now he makes too much money. Laughable.

What a comeback his reputation will make when we win a few games.

If we were winning you would have no problem with his salary. He's actively baiting pissed off fans? Come on now. And what makes you think he stopped responding to emails? Surely there are many of them right now and most are overly negative and not worth dignifying with a response. This has always been the way he operates. The only difference is right now we are losing.

I just find it entertaining that no one had these issues before the team started losing. Now he is a less decent person. Now he has a fake accent. Now he makes too much money. Laughable.

It's laughable that Wellman is judged by his job performance?

I think you're vastly simplifying my comment.

Wellman isn't one of us, whatever the hell that means, because the dude makes 10x more than I or most of the population will ever hope to make. To say that he's a man with a family is fine, but that isn't to say that he's above criticism.

I'm not sure the accent thing is a negative reflection on his character. It was just pointed out that it's odd that he was one and is from Ohio.

Lots of people had these issues before the team started losing. They had these issues during Dino and a handful had them during Skip and Odom. I remember that my Dad, for instance, was infuriated beyond belief towards the tail end of Odom's career. He actually stopped giving to the Deacon Club, partly because Wellman was such an unprovoked dick to him.

I don't really have a huge problem with Wellman as a person, but I think that he's overpaid and overvalued as an AD if he's not going to go out of his way to work with the fanbase of his formerly most prominent sport, to support a decision that was made unilaterally and that continues to not make sense. It's fine if he wants to stand by his man, but it'd be nice for to tell us why, outside of going all RJ on us via "if you knew anything about basketball..." with that obnoxious: "Oh Heavens yes!"

I guess it is only laughable when you have a job where performance is not related to compensation. And yes, he seems to be pretty ambivalent to empty arenas and obvious decrease in fan support, not to mention historically shitty basketball.

Back