• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wellman

mebanedeac

Reaction score
I realize that this is an unpopular notion; but I think he has hired 2 long term coaches for our revenue sports.

When all is said and done, he may not have been able to hire better than Clawson and Manning, especially given where both programs were at the time...which I realize was substantially his fault. The problem maybe to hang on to them if the current pattern holds. Manning did some good things today...some really good things.

At any rate, it is good to go out on top (relatively speaking).

I realize that this is an unpopular notion; but I think he has hired 2 long term coaches for our revenue sports.

When all is said and done, he may not have been able to hire better than Clawson and Manning, especially given where both programs were at the time...which I realize was substantially his fault. The problem maybe to hang on to them if the current pattern holds. Manning did some good things today...some really good things.

At any rate, it is good to go out on top (relatively speaking).

Yep.
Expect he will get the Joel improved before riding into the sunset.
Remove that B guy, can't remember his name, and Wellman has been good for Wake.

He needs to retire now. Tone deaf and arrogant. I like Clawson and Manning both, but no excuse for hiring Buzzf#ck and hanging on to Grobe 3 years too long.

Three years too long on Grobe might be a stretch. We nearly made the ACC title game in 2011

Clawson/Manning are a pretty excellent set of coaches. Bowl win and NCAA bid in same season will be huge.

Grobe got an ACC championship.
Dook, Heels, State among others have none.

Three years too long on Grobe might be a stretch. We nearly made the ACC title game in 2011

Ok, then how about allowing Lobo to draw a paycheck for 10 years as a laughable OC. 9 years too many in his case.

Yeah, sorry, I don't know what Wellman has to do with Crawford, Arians and the crew balling out and pulling off a gutty win today. No credit to the AD. Nuh uh. Doesn't work that way.

[Redacted] is his worst decision and damn near unforgivable

Come on, friends. This is not about the mistakes...glaring though they be; it's about the good choices in hiring Clawson and Manning!:thumbsup:

Seriously, though I have been hesitant concerning DM particularly, I am seriously impressed that Wellman found these guys and persuaded them to come to Wake. Good work, I think.

Criticizing Wellman for the Grobe era is just dumb. He put the idea of Wake being competitive in the ACC on the map and Clawson will build on that.

He hired redacted and kept him at least 2 years after it was clear Bzzz blew goats. He can fuck right off. He doesn't get credit for fixing a problem he created with his own assholery.

Bz inexcusable. I think there are plenty of ADs who can hire qualified coaches. We are only on the fringes of recovering what Wellman destroyed, so he will forever be remembered as the one who imploded the flagship program.

I'll give Wellman a pass on Grobe but his arrogance about [Redacted] will never be forgotten! The AD is still spewing their bullshit rhetoric! Wellman can suck a big fat hairy Deac!

Bzzz should NEVER have been hired. He was an unqualified loser then, and he eventually brought our storied program to its knees. Unforgiveable.

Let's not forget the Dino debacle. Not that we were terrible under Dino or anything, but giving Dino a contact extension only to fire him the next season was a terrible set of moves.

The best argument you could make for Wellman is that he survived the [Redacted] tenure.

Back