• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wellman

Gaudio recruited a team of individuals who cared nothing about winning for Wake Forest. Those same guys had zero team chemistry, peaked in January and fizzled out in feb/March. Wouldn't you rather have a coach who gets his guys to buy into the program, not quit on each other, and who has his team playing its best ball in March?

We are trending up but I don't see how we are in a MUCH better place.

I think it's pretty clear to anyone who knew what was going on with Gaudio, or anyone who witnessed Gaudio as a coach, that he sucked at just about everything other than recruiting. I wouldn't be surprised if Danny matches or passes Gaudio's NCAAT success this year and builds on it next year.

Did Dino even win an ACCT game? The fact that his teams regressed throughout the season and Danny's team progressed, is all I need to realize we are in a much better place.

Did Dino even win an ACCT game? The fact that his teams regressed throughout the season and Danny's team progressed, is all I need to realize we are in a much better place.

I just can't take you seriously. Have fun.

Gaudio recruited a team of individuals who cared nothing about winning for Wake Forest. Those same guys had zero team chemistry, peaked in January and fizzled out in feb/March. Wouldn't you rather have a coach who gets his guys to buy into the program, not quit on each other, and who has his team playing its best ball in March?

There is no evidence that Dino wouldn't have been that guy for that class. We know [Redacted] wasn't, but [Redacted] couldn't get anyone but Devin to buy into his program:

Wellman has done a terrible job of managing the basketball program for the last decade. Manning was a reach that seems to have paid off, but it could have gone the other way.

I think it's pretty clear to anyone who knew what was going on with Gaudio, or anyone who witnessed Gaudio as a coach, that he sucked at just about everything other than recruiting. I wouldn't be surprised if Danny matches or passes Gaudio's NCAAT success this year and builds on it next year.

False, we played good defense and had good transition offense.

When WF hired Wellman in 1992, the landscape in college sports looked very different than it does today. I will give RW credit for having adapted to the changes reasonably well.

He has had many successes, including overseeing the facilities upgrade (though I think that would have happened anyway), keeping us on budget, and steering us through expansion. He has also had some notable failures, and hiring [Redacted] is obviously number one. Any 22-year old HR trainee would have rejected that guy five minutes into the interview. Either RW did not do his due diligence or used terrible judgment or both. If RW had better communication skills and had tried harder to relate to the fans, he might have come through that fiasco with less damage to his reputation.

On balance I would rate him slightly better than average as an AD. He has been very loyal to WF and WF has rewarded him and his family handsomely. I hope he will not try to exercise too much influence over the choice of a successor, as I would like the next person to have a totally fresh perspective on WF sports and on how WF can be successful as a P5 school.

Three years too long on Grobe might be a stretch. We nearly made the ACC title game in 2011

Exactly. We were a 24 yard field goal from the title game. We hung onto Grobe for 1 year too long.

Most non-Wake fans openly mocked me to my face when we fired Grobe.

Clawson great hire.

Manning solid.

That B dick guy - worst hire in major revenue sport in history of ACC. He could barely speak without embarrassing WF.

We've won some critical late season games, let's not go crazy with the Wellman talk. It's like a dude who goes through a long dry spell, gets laid and is #braskyinlove.

Wellman's obvious disrespect for the fans destroyed his relationship with them.

This: It wasn't the [Redacted] hire that set off the fan base. It was his complete arrogance and condescension on the wfu community. Everyone makes mistakes. He should have owned the mistake and humbled himself. You can't gain redemption if you never admit you need to be redeemed. I'm okay with where we are with manning and claws on but I won't shed a tear when Wellman retires.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Cool. I repeat.

I really don't understand a mentality of being spoon fed absolute ant shit for 4-6 years and nothing but nasty, disgusting ant shit. And then getting a USDA Choice (not Prime) Ribeye and thinking the person feeding you is a God send.

I just don't get your way of thinking. I'm sure you don't get mine. Whatever. Life would be boring if we all thought the same.

But giving a dude credit for shit getting back to how it was 6 years ago when he was in charge as well? That's just weird. "ebbs and flows". OK. Whatever you want to call it, Dreamy Creamy.

I think we can all settle on 5.75 years.

And fuck Ron Wellman.

He definitely fired Dino a year to early. Dino made the bed recruiting wise that [Redacted] came in and crapped during his first year. I think firing Dino before he had a chance to be accountable to his inability to sustain the success of the program made our job much less desirable as much as [Redacted]'s ineptitude as an HC. We are just now getting out of that.

I may have seen somebody bust a blood vessel in their eye while telling RW off for being an asshole tonight.

They had no clue who he was at the time, and still didn't care after... but, rest assured, our man is still the same entitled jerkoff he's always been.

I loved the outcome tonight, but it was made even sweeter by watching RW sulk in a corner during a win.

Wear your credential, Ron!

You can't drop this nugget without elaborating! We need more deets!

Wait. you praised wellman for overseeing a number one ranked basketball team while shitting on the coach and players that actually earned it? Got it.

Wellman's obvious disrespect for the fans destroyed his relationship with them.

This is the real reason to hate him. Knowing he made the [Redacted] hire is one thing. Attempting to justify it while trashing a coach, players, and fans is an entirely different animal. Also, every single person that kept supporting Ronnie and giving money while everything burned to the ground shares responsibility.

Back