• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

We're heading down to the wire..

I mean, Lectro started an entire thread explaining his shtick and basically letting people know the bandwagon accusations were all part of an act a few months back, and that thread got ignored by everyone for some reason.

Not posting on a message board != quitting as a fan though. That's kind of a weird jump.

Agreed. Just like not predicting a certain abitrary record != being a bad fan. :thumbsup:

Fans show up to games and support the team with other fans...so far, we've seen no real evidence that lectro does as much.

I mean, Lectro started an entire thread explaining his shtick and basically letting people know the bandwagon accusations were all part of an act a few months back, and that thread got ignored by everyone for some reason.

Link? I guess the rest of us were talking football. :couch:

Because we enjoy hating Lectro. Why would we let that go away?

Agreed. Just like not predicting a certain abitrary record != being a bad fan. :thumbsup:

Fans show up to games and support the team with other fans...so far, we've seen no real evidence that lectro does as much.

I never said anyone was a bad fan for their predictions.

I don't see many of our posters on these boards covering WFU football and writing up articles on the team (bloggersodear posters excluded).

I think you're missing the forest for the trees if you really truly believe that Lectro is not a Wake fan, at least wrt football.

Link? I guess the rest of us were talking football. :couch:
I'll search for it later if I have time, but it got ignored most likely because it was an olive branch of sorts. I haven't read it in awhile, but I think it was around the same time as the prognostications thread.

This was my only prediction on that thread. Not sure where you got the homer part from.

OK. There's something to be said for not slumping when you don't have much room to slump. Players like Phonz and Okoro along with guys like Idlette, Adams, and yes, Skinner established a high bar in their first years.

You're right that Tanner, Harris, and Camp didn't establish that bar regardless of what we think. In that case, the fear isn't a slump, it's not making the progress we need them to make in order to meet program goals. Out of those three, I have the least doubts about Camp. My only concern is him getting enough touches. He should be a fine replacement for Brown and I think he'll greatly improve our return game if he gets the chance.

Some other solid predictions in that thread:

Heavy Petter: Deacs finish last
PhDeac: Defense and Tanner sophomore slump we keep losing .500 makes you a homer
DeacFan: .500 or better
PhilliesDeacs: Wake won't sniff .500 anyone who thinks so is an idiot
DCDeac: not quite .500 but better
JayBone: 6-6 or 7-5
Numbers: 4 wins would be great, FSU will be incredible, 7-5 gets Grobe COY
MebaneDeac: bad again next year
JamesDA: 7-5
DeaconSlim: No WAY we finish .500

What about those of us that came in just before the Fresh Deacs and saw the talent and potential and watched as Grobe coached up a group of overlooked athletes to a BCS game...and then saw it all crumble beneath him?

I, unlike most here, did not grow up a Wake fan, and didn't even bother caring about Wake Forest Football before I came in freshman year.

So compared to the attitude of being "perennial losers" that you bitch about, I pretty much only knew success....or the Wake Forest football program's version of it....

So in a way it hurts even more to see "my team" start at the top, and fall to a 2-10 season....I don't have the thought in the back of my head that we are "supposed" to be bad or near the bottom of the conference....I expect us to be in contention and win games that we have no business losing...

So when I say we are going to suck nuts this season, it isn't because I'm used to losing....it's in spite of being used to winning.

L at Syracuse
L vs. NC State
W vs. Gardner-Webb
W/L at Boston College (Toss Up)
L vs. Florida State (Blowout)
L vs. Virginia Tech (Blowout)
W/L at Duke (Toss Up)
L at North Carolina (Blowout)
L vs. Notre Dame (Blowout)
L at Clemson (Blowout)
W/L vs. Maryland (Toss Up)
W/L vs. Vanderbilt (Toss Up)

So I have us finishing anywhere from 1-11 to 5-7

I don't see ANY way we finish .500, but I will hope and pray that we do...I want nothing more than us to finish 14-0, but I just can't see us beating FSU/VT/ND/Clemson....and probably UNC/NCSU.

No idea how Edsall will be at UMD, or Franklin at Vandy, but have a feeling both will step in and exceed expectations

We went 1-3 in the first group and 1-1 in the second group.

So I was wrong on the NCSU game and wrong on the FSU game...

We still may not finish .500, but I will admit I was on the low-end with my prognostication.

Very glad we've performed better than expected, but based on where we were and could have been in most of those games, very disappointed that we aren't AT LEAST 7-3 or 8-2 (Syracuse, ND, Clemson)

I'm not sure he's honored a single thing in that post.

I mean, he only made two (he would show up on the boards right about now, and that he would stop w/ the verbal sparring). I'm not sure why'd he'd be expected to keep either one since not a single person responded to that thread acknowledging it's even being made.

The heart of his post was his trying to apologize to people, and no one responded to that.

This was my only prediction on that thread. Not sure where you got the homer part from.

PhDeac: "lectro, there's a board full of homers that you can post on if you don't like posting here."

"I doubts are about Tanner and Grobe/Lobo. We've seen enough sophomore slumps not to assume a freshman will get better."

Your style of prognosticating is just to complain about the team with incessant griping, much like you are doing now about the current season.

In general, you argued with posters who said .500 or better, called out the defense as not being good enough to win, and complained about a likely sophomore slump from Tanner.

It's ok to admit you were completely wrong about this team. Just because you refused to put out a number doesn't change what you were arguing. I thought we'd be worse, too.

I said I was worried about sophomore slumps because we've had them in the past. That's different than saying I thought Tanner would have one, especially since I predict that Camp won't have one.

I didn't think we'd be over .500 and I also said that getting 5 wins would be improvement but not necessarily a successful season because that's a reasonable floor given our weak schedule from year to year. This season has borne this out. 5 wins. Only one against a prospective bowl team in what was hyped as our toughest schedule ever. Heck we lost to two teams who got blown out by a USF team that is 1-4 in the Big Least.

Last edited:
We went 1-3 in the first group and 1-1 in the second group.

So I was wrong on the NCSU game and wrong on the FSU game...

We still may not finish .500, but I will admit I was on the low-end with my prognostication.

Very glad we've performed better than expected, but based on where we were and could have been in most of those games, very disappointed that we aren't AT LEAST 7-3 or 8-2 (Syracuse, ND, Clemson)

This is smart because I agree, we STILL may not finish .500.

Need to get ready to WIN a game on Saturday.

I thought he predicted an ~5 win season this year when he actually gave a prediction, w/ the real noise being made next year. But I could be wrong, and I'm way too lazy to look it up.

he predicted 7-5 I believe, I predicted at worse 6-6 at best 8-4 so I went with 7-5 myself.

I'll admit I was way off on J-Roc. The kid has the potential to be a stud but I think he is missing the fearlessness or fire to do so. Tanner though I could see in summer scrimmages how much that kid had improved.

Back