• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

WF at VIRGINIA 7 pm FRIDAY, ESPN2

Anderson is in the right place at eight time. Good game.

Like our tight end Blake Whiteheart a lot.

Fourth year redshirt sophomore. Good to see the TEs involved in the passing game.

Whiteheart has some wheels. I didn't know he was that fast. Not saying he's a burner, but he's got more than adequate speed to be a high level TE in the ACC. Love seeing us get him involved

Agreed. We seem to have a solid defense with a stout run defense, good pass rush, and solid coverage. We do not have an elite, swarming defense, which, to my untrained eye, is largely due to lack of speed at linebacker. There were a couple of times when Armstrong escaped contain and turned the corner. As the camera would pan downfield, you'd expect (hope) to see two or three defenders flying towards him, but instead there was nothing but green grass. I'm afraid that will hurt us against teams with a lot of speed that run screens and short-to-intermediate routes over the middle to get their receivers in space. Still, it's the best defense we've had in years, and there's still room to improve.

Yeah, I also think I’m not terribly happy with the play-calling if I’m a UVA fan. I don’t think they really took advantage of some of the weaker spots of the Wake D.

But I’m encouraged that we went out and smokes them without Fox and Greer, that we blitzed them strategically and got oir LBs to the QB, and that we should have drawn more holding penalties than we did.

The UVA play calling was confusing. It felt like as soon as they got into the redzone they would immediately depart from what was allowing them to drive down the field.

They were marching down the field stretching out the defense. Harder to do that in the red zone.

Such a huge bummer to be without Greene this season but huge props to AT Perry. Dude has stepped up in a major way opposite Roberson.

Such a huge bummer to be without Greene this season but huge props to AT Perry. Dude has stepped up in a major way opposite Roberson.

Totally agree. Add Morin and the WR group is a strength. AT is light years above where he was when he started at Wake. Huge props to him and the coaching staff.

The UVA play calling was confusing. It felt like as soon as they got into the redzone they would immediately depart from what was allowing them to drive down the field.

Agree it was confusing at times. My UVA friend kept complaining about Bronco being too cute. But the bigger problem is their D, or rather lack thereof. We scored on our 1st 7 possessions. I got a free ticket, and that was the 1st UVA game I've gone to in about 6 years, after having season tix for about 20 years. It reminded me of why I stopped going. There were maybe 25K in attendance, and you could count a few upper deck sections with fewer than 10 people. Saw quite a few folks in Wake garb.

That said, I really liked our skill position players, though I think our D can be exposed by a QB like Howell. How crazy is it to think we could be 10-2 in a down ACC?

One thing that has set this team apart from other years (at least so far) is that we are able to be much more physically dominant over the teams we have played. We have just manhandled our opponents on both sides of the ball. That is highly unusual for a Wake team. Even when we are good, it is usually because we have great skill players and more than a bit of luck. So far we have not needed luck.

Yeah, Perry has been great. I hope with his emergence it doesn't make Greene think about transferring. If Greene comes healthy next year, we could have one a super alive receiving group.

Last edited:
Perry is doing a nice job following Scotty Washington as the big receiver for Wake.

Yeah, Perry has been great. I hope with his emergence it doesn't make Greene think about transferring. If Greene comes heavily next year, we could have one a super alive receiving group.

Kevin Higgins is a really, really good coach. Think how many receivers have been great under his watch - Dortch, Hinton, Washington, Perry, Roberson, Greene, Bachman, Surratt, Hines, C Lewis, and there are likely more I'm not thinking of.

One thing that has set this team apart from other years (at least so far) is that we are able to be much more physically dominant over the teams we have played. We have just manhandled our opponents on both sides of the ball. That is highly unusual for a Wake team. Even when we are good, it is usually because we have great skill players and more than a bit of luck. So far we have not needed luck.

I don't know that we have "manhandled" anyone but your point is a good one. We have definitely become a much more physical team on BOTH sides of the football.
We should absolutely be competitive in all remaining games. And, based upon the Clemson/NCSU game, maybe even Clemson.

I don't know that we have "manhandled" anyone but your point is a good one. We have definitely become a much more physical team on BOTH sides of the football.
We should absolutely be competitive in all remaining games. And, based upon the Clemson/NCSU game, maybe even Clemson.

When Wake D-lineman deposits offensive tackle on the QB, that is manhandling. Also, SM generally had a clean pocket. Rare worries about either FSU or UVA defensive guys hitting him.

Can you imagine this offense with Greene, surratt, and walker still with us? Damn.

When Wake D-lineman deposits offensive tackle on the QB, that is manhandling. Also, SM generally had a clean pocket. Rare worries about either FSU or UVA defensive guys hitting him.

This. Physical play on the lines. Physical open field tackles. The score may not show a manhandling but that’s because Clawson has been putting his foot on the brakes with a commanding lead.

Can you imagine this offense with Greene, surratt, and walker still with us? Damn.

I understand where you're coming from, but give the current guys some love. I see this offense as is with CBS, Turner, and Ellison rotating runs/blocks, and Perry, Roberson, Chapman, and other good receivers/TEs we have not to mention the linemen. Mentioning those other names are as Mick Jagger would sing "You're just a memory of a love that used to be....that used to mean so much to me"

We have won our first 4 games by 20+ points, two of them over ACC schools. Has that ever happened for a Wake team?

Back